Rear driver window going down automatically

svt_22

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
My friend accidentally put my rear driver window down on my vehicle the other night. When we parked and turned the key off the window just went down before we opened the door. So after getting the window up. The last 2 days i've figured out that when i turn the vehicle on the window goes down automatically. Once i drive until my doors lock i can reach back and put the window up with the switch on the door and it will stay for about 30 min then maybe randomly go down. If i try to put the window up with the switch by me it'll go up a bit then stop maybe go down then stop and go up a bit (all while i'm pulling on the switch to put the window up). I also noticed the switch is very loose so maybe one of my friends pulled on it too far and broke something. I'm assuming it's the switch or a loose wire inside. Window lock doesn't do anything to keep it up. Is there a fuse for that window or the rear 2 windows that i can pull to kill power to the system? I may try to unplug the motor so that i don't have to keep dealing with it during the winter. I tried searching if this has happened before with no luck.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
In the short term, you might try to pop the switch/module out of the door handle for that window, and disconnect it from it's harness. That might keep the window from going down. Try swapping that switch/module with the one from the other side, and see if the problem transfers. If it does, then you know where the problem is, and what needs to be replaced.

svt_22

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
it seems as though it's in the switch on my driver door since the passenger door switch works. Maybe i'll try swapping the plugs on that switch to the other rear window and see if it still does it. Can i pop the switch assembly off without taking the door panel off on the driver door? I have heated seats also and they're all on the same trim panel.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yeah, they pop up. You can use a butter knife to wedge under there, there are 2 clips, one in the front, one towards the rear.

svt_22

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I'll take a look at it tonight when i get home and see what i figure out. I'm assuming i will hopefully need just that switch assembly, and I assume it would be the same as any 08 trailblazer.?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yeah, as long as it has the same options your current one does, you'll be fine. Also, if you do end up replacing it, get a used one. Those will be plug and play, and not have to get programmed like a brand new one would. :twocents:

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Yeah, as long as it has the same options your current one does, you'll be fine. Also, if you do end up replacing it, get a used one. Those will be plug and play, and not have to get programmed like a brand new one would. :twocents:

Obviously the switches aren't simple switches anymore. What functionality is in them that new ones need to be programmed??

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
This happened to me about 2 years ago and I swore I was going crazy!! Turns out it was the switch at the rear door. Popped it out and disconnected it, and it stopped rolling down by itself. Bought one at a junkyard for $5. :thumbsup:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Wyle said:
Obviously the switches aren't simple switches anymore. What functionality is in them that new ones need to be programmed??

The door modules, like the lift gate module, when brand new, have no programming in them, so if you installed them in your truck, they would not do anything. So you have to go to the stealership to have them programmed to work. No idea why this is. But you can get a used one off Ebay or a junk yard, drop it in, and as long as you get one with the same buttons (heated seats and stuff) it will work like it's supposed to.

svt_22

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I figured out what the issue was. After swapping the rear switches it was still lowering the window on it's own. Only thing that would work was to unplug the rear switch. I removed the driver switch panel and took a closer look as to why the switch for that window was loose. Turns out the little plastic pins that are held in place by a rubber thing between the switch and circuit board and are used to press on the board. The pin for that function was stuck down obviously causing the window to continue going down always. Now everything's fixed and it cost me $0!!!. I don't even want to know what i would've been charged for someone to figure that out. Thanks everyone for your help :smile:.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Glad you got it figured out, and didn't cost you anything. Hopefully you will meet some fellow members in your area sometime. Always helps to have a second pair of eyes when you're troubleshooting, not to mention you can swap parts to test before dropping any cash. Has helped me out a few times :twocents:

Juicy K

Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
I will have to open my driver rear switch, Mine started doing it on Christmas as we were leaving the driveway to go to Kentucky. (the dog was looking out that window, and i think hit the switch. I just took the passenger switch out and used it to put the driver side window up.

svt_22

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
It's not too hard. Everything just kind of un-clips apart. Be gentle though. You should be able to tell right away if the the plastic pin is stuck down. If you look at the switch from the side there should be a pin in front and back which keeps the switch level. If one is stuck the switch will flop around. At least that's how it is on my '08. I do know that my '02 had different switches so you'll have to look into how they function.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.