Rear differential fill plug '06 TB

gonecat

Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Hi!
Okay, my TB is an '06 and doesn't have a drain plug on the back cover.
I found the 3/8" square holed rear diff fill plug on the passenger side.
What is the correct tool for removing this plug?
I placed a 3/8" drive on there and it feels a bit too sloppy and I'm afraid of damaging and not being able to remove it at all. Or am I simply missing an easy trick to get that drive to fit better?
Thanks!
Steve

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Drive extensions are risky, and often have rounded ends that prevent full engagement. I've heard of special tools, but I use a hardened impact extension. The plug is supposed to go in with limited torque, and anti-seize is another layer of safety.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Found that an impact and an impact extention worked best for me.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Also, make sure there's no mud or crud in the plug hole and push on the ratchet to keep it in the hole.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
tom1999d said:
How do you drain the old fluid?
Remove the back cover!

Draining the fluid isn't the OP's problem. Refilling if he can't remove the fill plug is the problem.
That's why it's important to make sure the fill plug can be removed before removing the cover and draining the fluid.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have an old extension that I ground the end down flat just for this. Put the extension in the plug and give a good rap or two with a hammer to be sure it is fully seated in the plug and loosen the grip of the thread a bit.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Mooseman said:
I have an old extension that I ground the end down flat just for this. Put the extension in the plug and give a good rap or two with a hammer to be sure it is fully seated in the plug and loosen the grip of the thread a bit.

I ended up having to put mine up on a ramp and use a cheater bar but it came as soon as I did that... They are a PAIN, and the dealer that used to service mine before I bought it used sealer on it... If they hadn't I can only imagine how bad it would've been. I anti-seized mine instead so it will be smooth next time.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
tom1999d said:
I wrap the fill plug with teflon tape. I'm not sure if anti-sieze is compatible with 75W90

That would make more sense than antiseize. Both seals and prevents seizure.

Srmva

Aug 29, 2012
the roadie said:
Drive extensions are risky, and often have rounded ends that prevent full engagement. I've heard of special tools, but I use a hardened impact extension. The plug is supposed to go in with limited torque, and anti-seize is another layer of safety.

My snap on 3/8"drive seemed to work ok. It is only torqued to what 24 ft/lbs? Did this today on the XUV. Just turning 100K.. I was surprised at how much metallic gunk filled the magnetic strip on the cover.

tom1999d

Apr 24, 2012
I finally got the rear diff changed. My old 02 had a drain plug and the job took 45 minutes. Removing the spare then the cover make this a 1:45 job. Thanks for the tip on the screws having loctite. I guess the good part is You can use up some paper towels and get most of the grit out of the inside. The downside is since the job is more involved, I'll be tempted to stretch fluid change to 50k v say 30k. We'll see. I bought a spare gasket for $15 online just in case. Pretty cool to see the gearset. This is an 07 Voy with 95k miles. I'm fairly sure the rear diff ewas never changed....
View attachment 23095

Attachments

• 2012-09-30_10-34-31_372.jpg
    2012-09-30_10-34-31_372.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 10

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
tom1999d said:
I finally got the rear diff changed. My old 02 had a drain plug and the job took 45 minutes. Removing the spare then the cover make this a 1:45 job. Thanks for the tip on the screws having loctite. I guess the good part is You can use up some paper towels and get most of the grit out of the inside. The downside is since the job is more involved, I'll be tempted to stretch fluid change to 50k v say 30k. We'll see. I bought a spare gasket for $15 online just in case. Pretty cool to see the gearset. This is an 07 Voy with 95k miles. I'm fairly sure the rear diff ewas never changed....
View attachment 9596

Unless you do a lot of off roading and/or a lot of towing, IMHO, 50k miles is more than enough for diff fluid changes.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online