Rear Diff Question

Horace P McTitties

Original poster
Aug 22, 2019
Ohio
Got my '05 TB on stands while I swap out the tranny and noticed that my rear driver's side wheel seems to be difficult to turn by hand. The pass side is still touching pavement and there's no driveshaft attached so I would think it would spin somewhat freely. Just wanted another opinion before I tore into it and wasted a bunch of time that I could be using to get back on the road. Thanks

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I would at least get the other tire in the air and see what it does. It could be the G80 trying to lock in, or it could be a indication of fluid needing to be changed (old and THICK). Either way, it really shouldnt bind much, there should be a bit of resistance, its normal with all the bearings involved, but it should not be that much. Are the brakes dragging?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
G80 needs 100 rpm difference to lock so it could be that. Do you have the g80?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Could be a brake binding, either the caliper or the parking brake.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Did any of the non-G80 rears have limited slip? If so that would cause one side to have a good deal of resistance.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
G80 is a locker, G86 is limited slip (Saab and SS only), so everything else would be an open rear end. So the only resistance that would happen in that scenario is bearing and oil resistance. I wouldn't think that would amount to much.

Reactions: Mektek and Mooseman

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Going with Mooseman: Is there a scraping sound/feel when you spin the wheel? The parking brake pads have been known to break away and jam up in the rotor. :twocents:
Also, without a drive shaft connected, this would have nothing to do with the 4WD.

Reactions: Mooseman

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Also, without a drive shaft connected, this would have nothing to do with the 4WD.

When did the driveshaft get disconnected?
No one ever said anything about 4wd being involved?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
When did the driveshaft get disconnected?
No one ever said anything about 4wd being involved?
Except in the thread title LOL!
Got my '05 TB on stands while I swap out the tranny and noticed that my rear driver's side wheel seems to be difficult to turn by hand. The pass side is still touching pavement and there's no driveshaft attached so I would think it would spin somewhat freely. Just wanted another opinion before I tore into it and wasted a bunch of time that I could be using to get back on the road. Thanks
And in the OP

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Except in the thread title LOL!

And in the OP
I missed the thread title. We ought to fix it since it has nothing to do with what is in the thread.

I even reread and missed the driveshaft twice.

DAMN Monday mornings are no good for me

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
have both wheels off the ground and spin each one at a time. If there's a difference in force then there is a problem.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher