Rear Diff Gasket?!?

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Opinions please.... Does it justify the cost of 5-6 one time use gaskets? Im old school and thought you should put a new one on everytime the "seal is broken". Will you really reuse it several times over 200k+ miles? Thinking cheap works fine this time around...?

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Tell you the truth,I quit using diff. gaskets years ago.I use a good RTV like "Right Stuff" or "Ultra Black" and no gasket and I have never had a leak.As long as you clean the surfaces well,it works great.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
My diff (actually both the 8.0" and the replacement 8.6") came with reusable ones from the factory. Never saw the need to change them. If they start to leak, my driveway will alert me. :wink:

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
the roadie said:
My diff ... came with reusable ones from the factory. Never saw the need to change them. If they start to leak, my driveway will alert me. :wink:

Yeah, both stalls in my garage are bone dry. Unfortunately I did not know about these sites when I replaced the rear gear oil and I used sealant with the original gasket...

Think I could get away with cleaning/reusing?
If I buy the cheapo one time use-should I be safe and use sealant?

Northcreek, sure it works fine but I feel more confident knowing its there. We'll see what one of my parts guys say. Thanks all!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online