Rear Diff Capacity Advice Needed

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Decided to get around to changing my rear diff fluid today. Everything seemed to go relatively smoothly, until I got to the refill portion. I thought I remembered reading on a thread here to get a pair of 1 quart bottles, and before you used up the 2nd one, some would overflow from the fill hole letting you know it was full.

Well, I had my handy (so far) HF fluid pump, and I managed to drain both quart sized bottles, and no weeping from the fill hole. :undecided: Should this be a concern where I should add more fluid? If so, would it be good enough to drive short term to get fluid, or should I call in a favor to have someone bring me a bottle (or get to walking... :hahano:)

:thankyou:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
From the factory the Sierra was a quart low for 100k. As long as it is on the ring and pinion it should be okay... If you can avoid it I would though.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
According to GM-SI, the smaller diff takes 1.9L (4 pints) and the larger 8.6 ring gear takes 2.28L (4.8 pints). A liter is a little less than a quart so you're just missing a little more than a quarter quart.I'd say you're fine for a short trip.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Thanks guys, didn't see a distinction in the owners manual, so assumed they were the same. A buddy of mine is bringing me a bottle to fill it the rest of the way.

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
According to GM-SI, the smaller diff takes 1.9L (4 pints) and the larger 8.6 ring gear takes 2.28L (4.8 pints). A liter is a little less than a quart so you're just missing a little more than a quarter quart.I'd say you're fine for a short trip.

Hey Mooseman: A liter is a little MORE than a quart! Going from memory about 950 ml/quart. And that would make the 1.9l equal to 2 quarts.

Reactions: djthumper

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Bleh. You should join the rest of the planet on the metric system. :raspberry:

Reactions: Matt

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Mini update, my friend brought me another quart, and it took every bit of it, before I saw any spill from the fill hole. So now that's taken care of. :thumbsup:

Reactions: xavierny25

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Bleh. You should join the rest of the planet on the metric system. :raspberry:
But has the metric system been on the moon? :raspberry: (I deal with both freedom units and science. Science is much better for fluid and thermodynamic matters anyway.)

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The 8.6 has a bigger pumpkin. Holds more stuff.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Which reminds me, my diff didn't release after lockup last week (it has now), which, according to my searching means I REALLY need to do a drain and fill.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You should fill the 9.5 sometime....I buy cheap diff fluid by the gallon

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online