Rear diff assembly: used or remanufactured?

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
So, a couple of things. Parking brake isn't working right on the driver's side, and I look at the backing plate and that thing is shredded, so while I might still get some miles out of the parking brake stuff in that plate, it's not a great solution.

But to replace the plates you have to pull the axles, which means you're in the diff and I am not super confident about messing around in there.

Plus I kind of want to go to the G80 locker, and there is some play in the spline (?maybe?) where if I am coasting and I get back on the gas it can clunk back there, probably due to me habitually shifting from reverse into drive while not being fully stopped (or that is my guess anyway).

Used is $600-ish, a re-manned Jegs is like $1800 before core.

My concern with used is not knowing how hard the previous owner beat it or what sort of maintenance schedule it got.

Obvs remanned is 3x the cost but I would feel more confident in it.

It's my daily driver and adventuremobile, and I work from home so I don't commute. My offroading is unpaved roads, but I'm not a rock climber or anything crazy.

Thoughts?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Even with used, you are still gonna want to get into the diff to pull the axles, to replace axle seals. Even if its not leaking, its gonna.

But if you want to do the G80 upgrade, now is a good time. Find yourself a LWB axle (so you can get the beefier axle), with the G80, and the correct axle ratio. Then its just a matter of replacing the axle seals, and your set.

Reactions: Mooseman and 6716

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's what I was gonna suggest. Get an axle from a LWB. It's tougher so it can take more abuse. My 07's 8" has slop in the pinion despite having only 150k km. However, my Saab's 8.6" had tons of mileage, was behind a 5.3 and towed a lot with no slop. I still have it and plan to swap it.

Reactions: 6716

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I used Step By Steps, Photo Documentation and parked quite a lot of information and Videos on this related subject in the linked Thread below. Hope it proves helpful:

Reactions: 6716

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Next question: say I get a used axle/diff, how can I tell by looking at it that it has the G80?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
You can only tell if you open the rear cover..

This is open.. you can clearly see the spiders.. (not the exact differential for these trucks, just for reference GM 10 bolt)
130272.jpg

G80 (this is a GMT360)

Reactions: Mooseman and 6716

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Reactions: Mooseman

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Trust, but verify.

Forum Statistics