rear defroster ground problem 05 trailblazer

scott414

Original poster
Jun 25, 2016
spokane, wa
wires all good, good voltage, however measuring from passenger side near connector shows 12.4 volts, mid window showing same, and driver side also 12.5. I know that passenger side should be around 0volts, midwindow near 6 v and driver side approx 12. where is the problem located and how to fix. Have continuity all wires

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Did you check for resistance between the ground of the glass and the body? It should be near 0.

It could also be the grid itself. These trucks have a known issue with the grid getting worn down under the bakelite by the window seal rubbing on it. This affects all the grids except the two at the connectors.

DSC_0008.JPG

scott414

Original poster
Jun 25, 2016
spokane, wa
Did you check for resistance between the ground of the glass and the body? It should be near 0.

It could also be the grid itself. These trucks have a known issue with the grid getting worn down under the bakelite by the window seal rubbing on it. This affects all the grids except the two at the connectors.

View attachment 90851
Im sure that i checked, but can you tell me the steps to do this?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015

View attachment 90851

(apologies to the OP for the thread hijack...)

Learned something new today - thx :smile: Anyone come up w/ a way to eliminate this, like a foam weather strip or similar? I could also imagine trimming down the offending edge a bit, but that could lend itself to (yet another) rattle.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Is that with the connectors connected or not at the window? They should be disconnected in case you are getting readings from the other side through the grid.

scott414

Original poster
Jun 25, 2016
spokane, wa
so i checked everything, ground connected, was looking at the spot on window where the tab attaches and it is all scratched up. checked with my test lite and lots of spots with no connectivity. is there womething that can be put onto the "gold" part that will make a better connection? i was also reading about soldering the tab onto the windw.. thoughts?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There are repair kits for gluing the tab back on and you can also use conductive paint used to repair grid lines. I have used the paint in the past to redo the main lines on each side due to the worn grids under the bakelite. Wasn't pretty but it did work a while until the paint peeled off.

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online