Rear Defrost Connector

jafo2424

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
One of the rear defrost connectors came off the window and is just hanging.

Any idea on what these are connected to the window with ??

Thanks

Rubberman

Dec 14, 2011
They make a liquid solder/adhesive glue that you put on the tab and stick it back onthe glass. BUT for some reason mine doesnt work.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've successfully re-soldered one before but not on this truck. Only thing to watch for is to not overheat the glass.

Feb 24, 2012
I'll second that Frost Fighter epoxy. I previously repaired my rear defrost with silver solder etc, and had it very clean and all that, plus a new connector, and it all came apart after a few uses. I put the Frost Fighter stuff with new connectors on just before this winter and they have so far held up well, besides appearing like they are going to hold up for much longer. I was impressed.

Feb 24, 2012
Well I am sadly disappointed that the tab came off the rear window in my Yukon after the first cold weather use of the rear window defroster this year. Back to the drawing board.

Will I ever have a rear window defroster that works? :frown:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe check out an electronic supply store for Silver Conductive Epoxy: Moderate Cure / High Conductivity | MG Chemicals . Might be better than the frost fighter stuff since it's more expensive.

Most of my grids don't work due to GM's poor design. The weatherstripping rubs on the baked paint (or whatever that stuff is), wears through that and then rubs on the grids, wearing them out. And you can't fix them because they are under that paint stuff. Would have to run a new common contact along each side to reconnect all the grids.

I remember my 1978 Camaro had a fan on the rear deck. Always worked (albeit slowly). Maybe we need to go back to something like that using little heaters like this:
View attachment 23244

Attachments

• 41JHpxLfdfL.jpg
    41JHpxLfdfL.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 75

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
I saw someone use a space heater once to defrost their windshield... Boy was that ever a mistake, came out to find their windshield shattered.... Oh the things people do...

Feb 24, 2012
Mooseman said:
I remember my 1978 Camaro had a fan on the rear deck. Always worked (albeit slowly). Maybe we need to go back to something like that using little heaters like this:

Yeah my '73 LeSabre has the fan on the rear deck, and it still works!!

I will take a look at that chemical, and/or try reattaching the spade terminal to a new location on the defrost grid so the wires aren't as taut.

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
I tried a couple different versions of the diy repair kits. First fell off after 24 hours. The next one fell off after I used the rear defrost a couple times. Then someone busted out my back window and I got a new one through insurance :smile:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Here's an idea after re-attaching the tab, how about using a zip tie mount on the window near the tab, zip tie the coil wire to it to remove the tension from the tab itself so it won't pull on it.
View attachment 23273

Maybe the tension with the heat is doing this after the repair. Maybe that industrial conductive epoxy will work better. Maybe some better prep to ensure good adhesion would help.

Attachments

• CableMounts2.jpg
    CableMounts2.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 57

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
Those repair kits don't work unless the primer is still sticking to the glass. Even then, I've seen mixed results.

There are those kits you can get to glue your rear view mirror to the windshield, maybe that would work? I don't really understand what the problem is though.

Feb 24, 2012
Hypnotoad said:
Those repair kits don't work unless the primer is still sticking to the glass. Even then, I've seen mixed results.

There are those kits you can get to glue your rear view mirror to the windshield, maybe that would work? I don't really understand what the problem is though.

The problem is that the adhesive needs to be conductive, and not fall off when it gets hot.

I will get another tab and try a new location a little further up the grid to relieve the stress on the wire.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That might not work. That baked on stuff covering the edge of the window is non conductive. That's why there is a square hole in it for the tab.

Feb 24, 2012
Mooseman said:
That might not work. That baked on stuff covering the edge of the window is non conductive. That's why there is a square hole in it for the tab.

true. Thanks for the tip. I guess I will get a couple of tabs and be ready to try a few different ways.

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
I read a thread somewhere else that said to super glue the connector to the window then use the conductive adhesive to go over the top and onto the pad to reinforce the connection and provide conductivity. Maybe?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What about JBWeld? And then use the conductive paint for the connection. Might have to rough up the surface under the tab so the JBWeld has something to bite onto.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher