Rear defogger problem

Mott

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Kokomo, IN
My 2002 Trailblazer rear window defogger has some grid lines that don't work. I checked the grid and found that the opens are not on the glass but in the black area surrounding the window. I can see the breaks visually however I cant probe through the black area. Can this be fixed or do I need a new window? Thanks.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
That should be repairable with the Permatex rear defogger repair kit. I have had both contacts fall off of the glass (the contacts with the accordion style cable attached) and also had breaks in the grid as well on the lower part of the window. The kit linked below comes with what you need to repair the break in the grid line circuit and also a kit to reattach the contacts if they ever come off.

I have used this kit to repair both items about 8 months ago and the rear defogger is still functioning normally.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ALBZJY/?tag=gmtnation-20

I also recommend watching the video for rear defogger repair on Permatex's website. Provides additional information and steps that is not on the package that will be helpful when using the product.

http://www.permatex.com/training/training-videos

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done there as the grids get worn down through that bakelite and into the grid itself by the weatherstripping. I did have limited success using grid repair paint and basically retraced all the mains all the way to the connectors but eventually the paint peeled off.

Not sure about availability of new glass but used ones will not be any better.

Mott

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Kokomo, IN
Creating new traces sounds like my only solution other than buying new glass. Maybe i'll swap out my brother's glass before he trades his TB. lol

gmac310

Dec 4, 2011
I have the same problem and tried to repair with the paint and it didn't work for me either. I just end up using the rear heater vents, not the best but better than nothing!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I might try using the grid paint again but maybe on the bakelite so it has something to adhere to. If all the grids work, then maybe I'll put a layer of clear paint over it to protect it. I see an article coming...

Mott

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Kokomo, IN
The issue is that the grid is between the glass and the bakelite. I can't probe the bakelite to check the circuit. I can see the break through the glass. I'll try to put some of the repair paint on the glass.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
After tracing the main on the Bakelite, run another trace to each grid. The main should contact at the connector. I think I'll be doing it today since it's mild out,

Nov 24, 2017
North Chicago, Il.
My 2002 Trailblazer rear window defogger has some grid lines that don't work. I checked the grid and found that the opens are not on the glass but in the black area surrounding the window. I can see the breaks visually however I cant probe through the black area. Can this be fixed or do I need a new window? Thanks.
I had a problem with the foil deteriorating from the area around the wiring connector base and fixed it with Electrically Conductive Epoxy, Silver Adhesive, Room Temperature Cure, Air Dry AA-DUCT 902 , 2.5gm kit from Atom Adhesives and available @ https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EPYCIGQ/?tag=gmtnation-20

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online