Rear control arms

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
I know what they are and in theory know what they do, but what do our rear upper and lower control arms actually do? Do they just hold the axle in place? Do they stop the axle from turning?

Am I OK to drive with one upper broken until about Friday?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Lowers are the main arms, I wouldnt drive woth one of those broken. Bit they are tubular and unlikely to break. Uppers keep the axle from wrapping. My experience was the right being broken was worse than left rear, as under acceleration it wanted to wrap and cause it to push the vehicle at an angle (dig to the right) instead of accelerate straight. Left broken isn't as noticeable, but moderate braking just felt weird like a shimmy.

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Thanks J! I'm just going to replace the broken one on Friday and "get around" to replacing the other one before winter hits.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Check your other one before you drive too much. With one broken, the other is going to get stressed a bit more. If BOTH broke, you could be in a heck of a lot of trouble because now the axle could rotate any which way it wanted down there, which could result in some catastrophic U joint failure, which could result in drive shaft mayhem.

Reactions: Redbeard and Matt

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I did not even like driving with a bent one... no way with broken

Reactions: smt 59

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yours was a lower that was bent though wasn't it? I wouldn't want to go anywhere with that.

Ideally, I wouldn't drive with any bent/broken, but... I did when I didn't know it was broken on the driver's side. Passenger side bent when hitting something in the road that blew my alignment out and busted the rear arm (it was likely already weakened as it was). That was fun.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
It was lower.

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Check your other one before you drive too much. With one broken, the other is going to get stressed a bit more.

I'm keeping an eye on it, no cracks at this stage.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
You guys are making me wanna slide under mine for a check when I get home.... :undecided:

Reactions: Matt

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
@Matt ...to answer the Original Questions you posed in Post #1 more precisely...

(1) The Lower Control Arms (LCAs) Maintain the Right Angle Geometry of the Rear Wheelbase in its relation to the Drive Shaft's Axis of Rotation... AND ...in concert with the Rear Springs and Shock Absorbers ... they prevent "Wheel Hop" from occurring on either side of the Rear Wheels... as one tries to "get ahead" of the other.

(2) The Upper Control Arms (UCAs) Prevent the Differential and Axle Tubing from any Dangerous Rotations...Neither Fore Nor Aft and when Adjustable... the UCAs allow for attaining a much more precise Angle of Attack for relieving the stress on the Rotating Drive Shaft versus its alignment with the Rear U-Joint.

Adjustable-Rear-Upper-Control-Arms-Suburban-Tahoe-Escalade-SUV-8.jpg

proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpeg

Last edited:

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
So far so good...3 more days to hold together! :crackup: The bad pump and fan clutch are just burning up the fuel. Filled up on Saturday morning and made a 50 round mile trip, 100 round mile trip and just general running around and I'm down to a 1/4 tank...but I want it near empty when I drop it on Friday.

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
One my way home last night the low gas light came on, so I should be good.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online