Rear Brake Replacment Question

woody79

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Greetings everyone :smile:

I am going to be changing my rear pads and rotors within the next few months. While getting quotes on prices for the parts, I had a cashier at autozone tell me that I needed to rent a OEM/Disc Brake Caliper Tool Set (OEM/Disc Brake Caliper Tool Set (27111) | Disc Brake Caliper Tool | AutoZone.com). He said that when compressing the caliper on the rears you had to rotate the pistons when pushing them back in :confused:

View attachment 18246

Now I have done my front pads and rotors without using any 'special tool'. I just used one of the old pads and a c-clamp to compress the pistons. I looked in my Haynes manual and it doesn't mention anything like the tool Autozone mentioned.

My question is, do I really need to rent this tool? Or can I just use one of the old pads and a c-clamp.

After looking over the details of the tool, I did find this:

* Assists in the replacement of brake pads on most 4 wheel disc brake cars
* Forces the piston straight back into the caliper
* Rotates the pistons back into the caliper on vehicles with self-adjusting parking brakes
* Sturdy molded plastic storage/carry case

Sorry .... one last question. I used Wearever parts on the front from advance and I do like these. The ones sold at Autozone are Duralast. I personally haven't had any experience with this manufacturer. Are these good quality? If it helps I was looking at the Gold level as I have Wearever Gold on the front.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys/gals can give me. This site rocks :dance:

Attachments

• Auto Zone Tool.jpg
    Auto Zone Tool.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 3

GregT

Jan 12, 2012
I did my rear brakes twice with no issues. Used just a c clamp. I personally do not use advanced auto or auto zone I get most parts online cheaper. I use AC Delco for Brakes they seam to be the best for your vehicle. :yes:

barron03

Nov 20, 2011
I did my rear brakes twice with no issues. Used just a c clamp.

:iagree:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
As usual, the parts store clerk is a goof. If they were competent mechanics, they would be working as mechanics, I'm convinced.

Wind-back caliper pistons like that are on a LOT of vehicles, but not our platform. Those use the piston as part of the emergency brake design. We have miniature drums built into the hub of the rear rotor, and no self-adjusting mechanism. An old-fashioned star wheel you have to remove the rotor to adjust 2-3 times usually to get it right. (Photo courtesy of member LMMJ because I can't locate mine at the moment)

ebrake.jpg

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I checked the 08 manual and it makes no mention of using that tool.

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
woody79 said:
Sorry .... one last question. I used Wearever parts on the front from advance and I do like these. The ones sold at Autozone are Duralast. I personally haven't had any experience with this manufacturer. Are these good quality? If it helps I was looking at the Gold level as I have Wearever Gold on the front.

I don't remember the "level", but I have used Autozone Duralast or Duralast-Gold on a few vehicles over the years with mixed performance. Some lasted quite a while, yet daughter went through a new set in 4 months - keyword=Daughter. A friend of mine was Shop Manager at a GM stealership in a former lifetime (oh the stories :smile:). One of the few factory parts he still gets for all his GM vehicles is brake pads. He swears they're worth every gouging cent they charge for 'em. I've put 110k of the 124k miles on my TB, so I'm 99.9% sure the brakes are original and still looking fine. Can't remember any aftermarket pads lasting more than 50k miles on any vehicle of mine.

the roadie said:
(Photo courtesy of member LMMJ because I can't locate mine at the moment)

Yeah, I'd have a hard time believing a SoCal vehicle had that much rust on it. :raspberry:
Those pics do bring back the memories/nightmares of my teething days under cars in Buffalo. :hissyfit:

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
the roadie said:
As usual, the parts store clerk is a goof. If they were competent mechanics, they would be working as mechanics, I'm convinced.

Wind-back caliper pistons like that are on a LOT of vehicles, but not our platform. Those use the piston as part of the emergency brake design. We have miniature drums built into the hub of the rear rotor, and no self-adjusting mechanism. An old-fashioned star wheel you have to remove the rotor to adjust 2-3 times usually to get it right. (Photo courtesy of member LMMJ because I can't locate mine at the moment)

ebrake.jpg

This is what I was referring to in my reply in another thread. During my last change this is what was done, and yes it's time to find another mechanic lol:biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online