Rear ac block

Kylek

Original poster
Jun 7, 2018
Florida
I have an 05 envoy xl 4.2. One of the rear ac lines has a hole in it so instead of spending a ton of money on replacing the line I’ve decided to just block off the rear ac. I purchased the block off kit. I am wondering where exactly do the lines connect under the hood where I need to put the block offs at. Thank you for your time.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've installed them on the EXT and each one is accessed from the wheelwells just on top of the frame on each side behind the flaps.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Driver side you can get to it from the top but from wheel well is easier. No need to remove anything except the wheel maybe for extra working room. Passenger side pretty tight from the top IIRC.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I blocked off mine from underneath as well, it's easy to get to. (I have EXT)
Just make sure you are blocking off the ac lines and not the heater lines. Although I have blocked those off too now after a near overheat.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I thought about blocking mine off, but I am going to go the replacement hose route. No, not GM. Too spendy for my broke butt. These guys - https://www.autocoolingsolutions.com/ac-lines/rear-ac-lines - offer a set my my TB EXT for $365 + shipping and tax if applicable. There is a coupon on right now that saves a bit more. I found the link from an old thread and they are still around! I plan on having them ran for the mechanic so all he has to do is evac, swap, vacuum/test, and recharge.

Has anyone else used them?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No but I have heard that they are a biatch to install because the are so stiff. I looked at them for my EXT at the time but elected to just block off the rear with blocks from eBay. I honestly never missed that rear air. $365 vs. $40.

And that's if you can even get the connectors off the evaporator. Mine were so rusted, I had to cut them off.

If you do block it off, replace your orifice tube with the white one for single system.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I actually bought the rubber replacement lines a long time ago, and then found out my rear evaporator connectors were so badly corroded I was looking at a new evaporator as well. Not to mention what the heck else was going to be replaced back there at that point. I cut and capped the lines. We never put people in our third row, but in the front and 2nd rows, nobody ever complained about not getting enough ac with the rear lines capped.

Last edited by a moderator:

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I'll ask my mechanic about the back connections before I order them. He replaced my heater core so the front has been off in the last couple of years. If he thinks he can do them, I'll order the hoses. I really like the effect the rear air has on cooling it down. My oldest daughter loves the third row - or the "trunk" as she calls it.

@Mooseman , thanks for the tip on the orifice tube.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.