Rear A/C controls?

Mikey J 23

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
My HVAC is the digital thermostat set up with Bose 6 cd radio. Rear controls are fan/temp with radio volume/display/headphone jacks.

So my question, which I have searched, but am still not sure... Can you trade our the rear controls with the radio volume/display/headphone jacks for one without the radio controls just with vent/fan speed settings.
Reason I am asking is that if I am changin out my head unit I don't want the rear radio controls left back there when they don't actually work... I am picky like that. I believe I should be able to just switch our for normal rear HVAC controls, but am looking for confirmation.

Any help from the experts here is sincerely appreciated. I haven't posted much as I have been learning, but all of this sites information have truly made my TB into the best ride I have owned. Thanks! :thumbsup:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Mikey J 23 said:
.... I am picky like that....
Welcome. If I knew you better, I'd have a comment here, but alas....:wink:

Best I can see from the 2004 shop manual is that both control modules have a 16-pin connector (8X2), so the one you want to change to will just have fewer pins in it.

Are you sure you can stand the vehicle's options not matching its glove box RPO sticker in that case? :biggrin:

Mikey J 23

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
the roadie said:
Welcome. If I knew you better, I'd have a comment here

I am sure you would Roadie. As I said, I haven't posted much yet, but I have been learning here and on the "old" site for about a year... I have seen quite a few posts from you.

Really appreciate the help finding info on this one, I thought it might just be a different pin configuration.
If and when I would get rid of my TB then I would put the radio along with controls back to stock, but I don't like the idea of having those controls back there if they aren't functioning. It has that same feeling like I am leaving something I know is broken :undecided:

Thanks again!

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Mikey J 23 said:
I am sure your would Roadie. As I said, I haven't posted much yet, but I have been learning here and on the "old" site for about a year... I have seen quite a few posts from you.

Really appreciate the help finding info on this one, I thought it might just be a different pin configuration.
If and when I would get rid of my TB then I would put the radio along with controls back to stock, but I don't like the idea of having those controls back there if they aren't functioning. It has that same feeling like I am leaving something I know is broken :undecided:

Thanks again!

Things that make you go....hmmmm:undecided: . I can't even see my rear controls from where I sit. I guess your thinking rear seat passangers would think its broken or something?

Reactions: elthomas195

Mikey J 23

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
That would be part of it, but mostly I am a perfectionist.

I got my TB last year, it was a 2004 with only 52,000 miles when I bought it, literally an older couple in FL only drove on Sunday's. Even had a food storage bag in the glove box with every maintenance receipt all the way back to the intro dvd from when they bought it new.

The only wear were some buttons, interior stuff, and a chip in the windshield. Which I have fixed everything and mad quite a few adds since (will post pics soon).
So leaving something non-functioning (not right) in the TB would annoy me cause I know it is there...
It's like that scratch in the paint you find -- its small, nobody else will notice it, BUT you know right where it is at and will spot it every time after that. :eek:

***By the way Roadie, first change I did when I got my TB was add an LSI audio converter, RF amp, and 2 - 10" Kickers in a bandpass box -- Wiring the audio converter and amp were both done using your guide (w/pics). So thanks for that one too! :thumbsup:

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
From what I gather from AllDataDIY.com:

There are two connectors listed for the rear auto HVAC controls:

One is for the short wheel base and is 16 (2x8) pins (black).
The other is listed as "long wheel base w/ rear seat audio" and is 32 (2x16) pins (red).

Suggests to me that if you have the long wheel base and auto controls you have the rear audio. If you have the short wheel base and auto controls you do not have rear audio.:crazy:

What's not clear is the existence of a long wheel base controller without audio which is what I suspect you're looking for. Long and short wheel base controls are not going to be interchangeable.

Hopefully other LT owners will chime in...

Sorry if this is confusing, it sure was for me.

Mikey J 23

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
AtlWrk said:
From what I gather from AllDataDIY.com:

There are two connectors listed for the rear auto HVAC controls:

One is for the short wheel base and is 16 (2x8) pins (black).
The other is listed as "long wheel base w/ rear seat audio" and is 32 (2x16) pins (red).

Suggests to me that if you have the long wheel base and auto controls you have the rear audio. If you have the short wheel base and auto controls you do not have rear audio.:crazy:

What's not clear is the existence of a long wheel base controller without audio which is what I suspect you're looking for. Long and short wheel base controls are not going to be interchangeable.

Hopefully other LT owners will chime in...

Sorry if this is confusing, it sure was for me.

It is confusing, you are definitely seeing what I was running into when researching this one.

Mine is a short wheel base LT. I have the auto HVAC with rear radio controls and from what Roadie saw in the manual looks to be the same connector just fewer pins to go without radio controls. I may just try to find one at a U-Pull-It place for a plug and play experiment. Seems like there is enough confidence it will work to give it a shot.

What is really funny to me is that almost every TB that I have seen has something or parts slightly different from one to another, be it based on year or just undecided engineers. Even TB LTs that have the same year code as mine will have slightly different body parts or something a little different on the interior. I think there must have been a "no two alike" rule on the production lines when they were building them.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Did not want to start a new thread, but I think here lies my answer. I could have sworn at one time my rear headphone jacks worked with my Pioneer radio. Though its been so long I don't recall when I did the change.

So I take it the rear controls for audio do not work and there is nothing wrong with mine?

Then I found this.

http://gmtnation.com/forums/topic/3000-rear-audio-controls-with-aftermarket-hu/?hl=%2Brear+%2Bhvac+%2Baudio

Maybe something is wrong with my adapter. Since my steering controls work when they want to.

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
I can not speak for the GMOS units but the PAC RP5-GM11 retains most of the RSE functionality. It will skip tracks on the aftermarket head unit and cycle through the no longer functioning factory options like satellite radio. I have a dual zone capable head unit so two different sources can be played independent of one another and be heard through the headphones when the RSE is turned on.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online