Really???? Stupid power steering pump!

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
So, apparently my wonderful husband failed to tell me that my power steering pump is taking a crap on me. He took the kids to school this morning. He comes home and say's you need to figure out who will be the cheapest for a power steering pump, it's going out. I asked how did he know and if he was sure. He handed me the keys...and needless to say I didn't even get all the way out of my driveway. I went to turn the wheel as I was backing out, and I had to stand on the floor for leverage just to turn it. I didn't think it was that bad until I got in it....

It's easier to turn as long as your stepping on the gas pretty hard, but if your coasting or going slow...it's a PITA to turn. So, I called around and ordered my power steering pump. It will be here tomorrow and since it's going to rain and I have no garage....we're going to be getting a little soggy. And yes we topped off on power steering fluid....and it's still turning rough. I still plan on getting paint for my emblem and tinting my heads and tails today...so Phantom can kiss it lol

I'm just a bit frustrated.

How often do these usually go out? And could hubby playing with the ALT when replacing t-stat caused it to go? Are there any "issues" that could cause the ps pumps to go out more often than usual on our trucks? I tell yeah...this is BS lol I am so mad at my truck right now.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
It's just one of those things. Usually they only go out more often if you are holding full lock and whipping donuts or other nonsense.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
It's just one of those things. Usually they only go out more often if you are holding full lock and whipping donuts or other nonsense.

:lipsrsealed:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It's the truck telling you it objects to having been driven with a lead foot after you adopted it.

:rotfl:

Nah, it's a fluke. Kids break them sometimes doing donuts, but that's because the shaft is designed to break before seizing the pulley and then you lose the serpentine belt and all other accessories. With a dead PS pump you should at least be able to pull over and run the engine for heat or AC while waiting for a tow. If the PS pump seized and took your belt out at the same time you wouldn't have the HVAC for comfort.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
the roadie said:
It's the truck telling you it objects to having been driven with a lead foot after you adopted it.

:rotfl:

Nah, it's a fluke. Kids break them sometimes doing donuts, but that's because the shaft is designed to break before seizing the pulley and then you lose the serpentine belt and all other accessories. With a dead PS pump you should at least be able to pull over and run the engine for heat or AC while waiting for a tow. If the PS pump seized and took your belt out at the same time you wouldn't have the HVAC for comfort.

Well that's the bad part. I HAVE to drive it. I have no other vehicle, and the new ps pump won't be in until tomorrow. My kids have to have a ride home from school. Thankfully any trips I need to make will be less than 15 minutes worth of drive time...including any red lights or stop signs.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
It is bad enough driving my lil Eclipse without PS (been shot since I got it, but just cant seem to work on it when the truck needs love). I dont think the heavier and bigger tire'ed 370 would be much fun to pilot without PS.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
It is bad enough driving my lil Eclipse without PS (been shot since I got it, but just cant seem to work on it when the truck needs love). I dont think the heavier and bigger tire'ed 370 would be much fun to pilot without PS.

It's not going to be much fun, and probably not really safe either but I do live in a very small town so where I need to go is a straight shot maybe 2 turns and i'm there. I just need to make sure I'm not going to hurt anything on the truck by driving it like this until I can get the new ps pump in tomorrow. I know my arms will hurt like hell lol which is fine, just don't need anything else breaking on the truck right now. I also have an emergency serp belt on hand if it were to go while i'm driving it. I really have no other choice but to drive it.....cabs are to pricey lol and i'm sure as hell not walking the 5 miles to the store or school lol

Hotness

Dec 7, 2011
You should be fine for a day. I drove mine for over a month without ps and I had a 30 min drive most of the time. The only thing I see that has a potential to get damaged is ps pump which u are replacing anyways. But like I said I drove for a month before replacing my steering rack and my pump still worked when I did. Just be prepared for sore wrists.

Feb 24, 2012
My truck lost power steering (and brakes, it's hydroboost) at anything under 2000 RPM a few months ago with no warning. Flushing the PS fluid brought it back to life. It's harder to do in your truck, but all I did was disconnect the return hose, aim it into a bucket, and turn the wheel lock to lock a few times. Refill the reservoir and repeat. It's worth a try before replacing the pump.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Honestly I haven't seen a P/S pump crap out that quick unless something broke...wear and tear are generally more gradual symptoms. Did anyone smack a curb with the tire?

I would pull the airbox and washer tank to ease access and do what the deekster did and flush out the fluid. I did this to mine and removing the washer tank made it very easy. The return line will dump fluid very quick and will drain the reservoir within a few seconds.

Make sure the fluid is flowing rapidly, as soon as you start the engine, start turning the wheel. By the time you get from lock to lock and halfway the other direction the reservoir will be empty.

Ensure you don't have a collapsed hose or possibly a bad rack first.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
gmcman said:
Honestly I haven't seen a P/S pump crap out that quick unless something broke...wear and tear are generally more gradual symptoms. Did anyone smack a curb with the tire?

I would pull the airbox and washer tank to ease access and do what the deekster did and flush out the fluid. I did this to mine and removing the washer tank made it very easy. The return line will dump fluid very quick and will drain the reservoir within a few seconds.

Make sure the fluid is flowing rapidly, as soon as you start the engine, start turning the wheel. By the time you get from lock to lock and halfway the other direction the reservoir will be empty.

Ensure you don't have a collapsed hose or possibly a bad rack first.

The flush didn't do anything, we went ahead and changed it this morning and all is back to normal now. No one smacked a curb, however I couldn't tell you how it was driven before I bought it, and I have only had it for 45 days.

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
Voymom said:
The flush didn't do anything, we went ahead and changed it this morning and all is back to normal now. No one smacked a curb, however I couldn't tell you how it was driven before I bought it, and I have only had it for 45 days.

You should create a How to for replacing it :yes: Might help someone else having the same issue in the future :twocents:

Also glad to hear you got it resolved. I can't imagine trying to turn without power steering.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
:iagree: And you'll be in the Articles for all to see. All I know is that there is 3 bolts holding the pump in, but to actually change it is beyond me.

Guano

Jan 4, 2012
Well I got here late but...mine crapped about 40th...there is no filter, fluid was burnt black & a piece of crap had jammed the valve (highside outlet) in the pump (it would only work at high rpm's) cleaned, reinstalled, flushed (no more ford ps noise) , at100th now...

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
the roadie said:
Kids break them sometimes doing donuts...

Ah one of my (extremely) few dumb moves at 16/17 in the 02, donuts in a parking lot. Guess what, sheared the shaft off the PS pump and had to replace it.

They're pretty easy to change out, think it took me around 2 hours and that was before I knew what I was actually doing. Probably a 30-45min job now.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Voymom said:
...I have only had it for 45 days.
And driven it like an old lady only going to visit friends in the nursing home. :wink:

ScarabEpic22 said:
... at 16/17 ...
I remember when you were trying to conceal your youth. :biggrin: Fortunately, your innate intelligence and well-formed paragraphs poked out anyway and I predicted you'd turn out OK. :raspberry:

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
the roadie said:
I remember when you were trying to conceal your youth. :biggrin: Fortunately, your innate intelligence and well-formed paragraphs poked out anyway and I predicted you'd turn out OK. :raspberry:

Good to know I have the roadie seal of approval Bill! :rotfl:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
woody79 said:
You should create a How to for replacing it :yes: Might help someone else having the same issue in the future :twocents:

Also glad to hear you got it resolved. I can't imagine trying to turn without power steering.

It wasn't to bad driving lol we had our oh shit moments, but very few. As far as a "how to" there is already one for the p/s pump it's a sticky, and is what we read before doing it.

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
Voymom said:
It wasn't to bad driving lol we had our oh shit moments, but very few. As far as a "how to" there is already one for the p/s pump it's a sticky, and is what we read before doing it.

:bonk: Sorry about that, I completely missed that sticky :lipsrsealed: I was just looking through the articles and didn't see one for a p/s pump replacment. Didn't even occur to look for a sticky.

note to self .... when in doubt use the search function :rotfl:

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Voymom said:

Maybe one of the mods can turn it into an article?

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
:iagree:

It is an awesome thread.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online