Reality thread...continued.

wmolzon

Nov 21, 2011
Lol I hear ya. Unfortunately a pay cut for me at this time isn't an option but it's been a little more then 3yrs. So I'm ready for change.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
It was something I was dealt with. Sometimes you have to take a cut and bust a$$ to prove your worth. Me I wanted out. I basically lost the cost of my TB payment (I paid it off) minus cheaper insurance. Having a better half to share the struggle helps :wink:

I get more time with her now but I feel like I am aging faster because of the hours. Should probably job search instead of cruising hobbies. :rotfl:

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
Having weekends off is the big thing for me. Every weekend is now 4 days :biggrin:

June 5th it will be 14 years with this company. Just have to survive another few :thumbsup:

Reactions: Badbart

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
BOOM! CList WIN!

So, I've had a 5HP 2-stage Crafstman snowblower for a couple years (used off Clist), and it does pretty well. However, since my driveway is like 5 cars wide at one point, I end up blowing the snow twice, which the 5HP doesn't usually have very much fun with. I also have to blow snow over the 6ft fence that goes around the driveway as it goes back to my shop, behind the house. I have been on a casual search for a larger HP/depth snowblower for some time, and was just going to wait and find a good deal on one this spring or summer, then wait until next winter to sell my 5HP 2-stage blower.

This brings us to Sunday morning. There was a 10HP/29" Craftsman for sale for $300 (the used market for running examples is $500-$600 around here), and the second stage just didn't work very well when you actually put snow in it. My thinking was that it was the roll-pin "fuse" that attached the second stage to the first stage's drive shaft. So, I roll over there and the first and second stage seem like they move together when rotating them by hand. Interesting. I ask him to run it into some snow for me, and I see that both the first and second stages slow down to almost nothing when loaded. OK, probably a belt issue, then. The thing that bothered me is that it did NOT sound healthy when rolling it around with the engine off. Crunchy sounds and it would stop you every once in a while when you were just pushing it. On the self-propelled blowers, there's usually a brass/bronze gear that's the "fuse" in the drive system, and it's like a $50 repair and a PITA to get to, if you have to replace it. I figured, worst case, it's that gear. (it did self-propel OK, though) I hem and haw and hem and haw, and for effect, hem and haw a little more. I say that the blower thing doesn't really bother me, but I'm not sure about the crunching sounds in the drive. He agreed that it didn't sound healthy, and apologized for sounding like an asshole and offered him $200 for it. We settled on $250, and I rolled it up the ramps into the trailer.

I get home, and take the plastic belt cover off. The bolt for the tensioner adjustment for the auger belt is loose (not tightened all the way, tough it's an interference fit thread, so the nut was still there) and the tensioner is resting on the loose side. I add a 3/8" washer from my garage stock, tighten it up on the tight end of spec, and BOOM, works great! For the wheel drive, the belt and tensioner looked OK, but the chain was noticeably rusty and looked a little kinked in a couple links. I covered it in gear oil and rolled it back and forth, then started it up and used it for a little bit. After the oil got around on the chain and got some motion on it, it rolls just fine and sounds OK doing it! Neither belt was in great shape, but the thing worked pretty well. I picked up a pair or new belts for it (for $25 total) at Napa, yesterday, and ran it last night. HOLY COW, this thing is a BEAST! The thing ran just fine through the packed down 18" tall pile at the edge of the driveway, where I've been throwing all of this snow all winter.

In the "buying broken stuff for cheap on CList" game, you win some and you lose some, but I seemingly won on this one, as long as the engine doesn't blow up or something. I've used 1/2 a tank of gas in it so far, so it should be OK, but like anything used, who knows...

Mike

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
Bonus purchase! I've always wanted a snow blower for the once a year we get snow!

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
Today is my last night shift of this cycle. Days next week. The excitement mounts as Wednesday night we go into the city to see Pentatonix.

As a music and vocals lover this is really cool for me. Youthful and modern but such great singers I can really get into their stuff.

The really cool part is that I bought these VIP tickets that include a meet and greet autograph session. :thumbsup: Apparently I get a T shirt or something too :undecided: More excited about the music!:wootwoot:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Soooooooooo

Put in an offer on a house yesterday. Fingers crossed they accept it as that would be friggin' awesome :biggrin:

Yeah I know, buy vs rent argument etc but in the end I just want "my own" place. Maintenance, repairs, and all. To rent a place like this one would be unaffordable for me per month. Buying? Easy affordable, even with the extra stuff I know I'll need to put into it.

Phantom

Jun 17, 2012
We have a week left till we move, Bought a house, 4bd 2 full baths and 2 half baths, finished walkout basement and 2 car garage. About 3200 SF. All for about $175 more than what we are renting this little clam shack now.. Can't wait, Hate moving but this is one move I look forward to! Good luck Sparky!

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
myblk05lt said:
Hahaha good to know! How've you been Bill?

Always having fun as usual. I am afraid if I slow down too much my world will stop so I keep really busy! Lol!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Got word today that the bank accepted another offer :frown: The listing agent sounded a little confused that they accepted the other offer, which my realtor and I thought was a bit interesting. I guess it isn't over until it is closed, so still a chance for me I guess if the other guy's financing falls through.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Sparky said:
Got word today that the bank accepted another offer :frown: The listing agent sounded a little confused that they accepted the other offer, which my realtor and I thought was a bit interesting. I guess it isn't over until it is closed, so still a chance for me I guess if the other guy's financing falls through.

Why, did they offer less than you? If they were willing to move a bit on the price or were planning on reducing it if he was first up they'd probably try with him first, but until closing everything is still pretty up in the air.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
IllogicTC said:
Why, did they offer less than you? If they were willing to move a bit on the price or were planning on reducing it if he was first up they'd probably try with him first, but until closing everything is still pretty up in the air.

No idea on the exact amounts, but I got the impression they did. The house had only been on the market 2 days when I put my offer in. Maybe they were just going with the first offer they got that was above X amount because they wanted to unload it fast? We really don't know.

But yeah, until closing there is still a chance. Actually, I'll make sure that they know my offer still stands if the other guy falls through even if that is a few weeks from now.

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
Sometimes the "subjects" sway the seller. If you had more subjects than the other offer?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Subjects?

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
Subject to financing, subject to house inspection, subject to oil tank inspection etc.

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
Sometimes a seller will give a buyer a chance to remove subjects if they are the first offer.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Ah. Mine was subject to the financing and subject to the inspection not showing something horrific. That was pretty much it.

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
I would not buy without those subjects that you put in. Good choice about inspection.

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
If I can see the road after 5 hours of it then it's not really snowing.
utypunyp.jpg

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
Well its off to Palm Springs for a golf holiday. That's what we call it when we party and eat and drink to excess then throw a golf game into he middle of the day to keep us slowed down.

The experiment begins as we are taking our wives this year. :undecided: The whining was unbearable so we finally gave in. But now if somebody feels like going for a drive they can bring a Black Diamond Firearms T-shirt and a certain mag along with them and have dinner :biggrin:

We have only five games of golf lined up this year as the pace (maybe the partying) seems to wipe us out by our last couple of games. Wednesday is our rest day. We will see how much rest we get. On the plus side of things there will be some eye candy around the pool. That really amounts to anything female that looks better than me in my shorts!:lipsrsealed: I sure am glad my wife never reads this ...Ha!:rotfl:

nieman88

Mar 10, 2014
hey Blade, how did the trip to Palm Springs go?

Just ordered my MarcMC 2.5 and wheel spacers today. =) I cant wait until it gets here. Then Ill have information to add to this site with images. yay.

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
nieman88 said:
hey Blade, how did the trip to Palm Springs go?

Just ordered my MarcMC 2.5 and wheel spacers today. =) I cant wait until it gets here. Then Ill have information to add to this site with images. yay.

You will love his stuff!

And Palm Springs is always great! Good golf and good friends at an amazing house!
View attachment 33518
View attachment 33514

Attachments

• IMAG0732.jpg
    IMAG0732.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG0742.jpg
    IMAG0742.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG0752.jpg
    IMAG0752.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMAG0756.jpg
    IMAG0756.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMAG0780.jpg
    IMAG0780.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG0862.jpg
    IMAG0862.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG0763.jpg
    IMAG0763.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG0761.jpg
    IMAG0761.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Playsinsnow

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
Ahhh work. Another 36 hour week finally over with this last crappy 12 hour night shift. I must go do something now as I must earn my keep around here until I can retire! :biggrin:

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
Well Florida. Another 7 days and I will be looking around Tampa, Miami, and and short drive out onto the Keys. Not my first trip out that way but may be my last for a few years. My Canuck dollar is only worth about 88 cents US. :eek: I may have to just stay at home and ...... well maybe not.:tongue:

JB .... we should see if we can get a coffee this trip.

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
Looking forward to a camping weekend. Packing up the trailer and heading to the Squamish Valley. Probably will take a day trip up to Whistler/Blackcomb where the winter Olympics were held 4 years ago. Now that I have sold my bike I have to find other ways to amuse myself ........and maybe live a little longer.

I usually look forward to night shift but this is the first one in almost a month, so it eats at you when you don't do it enough. :crazy:

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
Ah night shift again .....gotta love it. :tongue:

Had a good day at the range last week. Shot all three guns and tried some purchased reloads. Kind of unhappy with the consistency of the charges. But it still made holes in the targets :thumbsup:

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
Ok ...... so its my birthday on Friday. Too old to care any more. My wife has wrapped up some of my old stuff thinking I won't remember I had it. Kinda like when you buy that tool over and over again then find all the duplicates in one cleaning session. I know I get cake because I ordered it. I know people are coming over because I sent the Evite. I guess I better start getting my happy face on but it's so hard after the 4 twelve hour night shifts ......

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Blade said:
Ok ...... so its my birthday on Friday. Too old to care any more. My wife has wrapped up some of my old stuff thinking I won't remember I had it. Kinda like when you buy that tool over and over again then find all the duplicates in one cleaning session. I know I get cake because I ordered it. I know people are coming over because I sent the Evite. I guess I better start getting my happy face on but it's so hard after the 4 twelve hour night shifts ......
I've been doing 12-hour day shifts... not quite as bad lol. 5 a week (did a 13 yesterday to get out of working today), but it's all manual labor. Most other places in the plant have semi-auto machines. Tilt tables to assist in getting units on and off them. Big mechanical grabbers to move units from the rollers to a cart. Loading, it's just you, a pair of gloves, and 100+ pound units all day long.

Reactions: Blade

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
IllogicTC said:
I've been doing 12-hour day shifts... not quite as bad lol. 5 a week (did a 13 yesterday to get out of working today), but it's all manual labor. Most other places in the plant have semi-auto machines. Tilt tables to assist in getting units on and off them. Big mechanical grabbers to move units from the rollers to a cart. Loading, it's just you, a pair of gloves, and 100+ pound units all day long.
Holy crap. I don't feel so bad after hearing those conditions. :crazy:

I am way too old to work that hard anymore. Must be a nice payday at the end though. I do one week days then one week nights. They are 3 day weeks. Then once a month I have to work 4 night shifts. It's an hour equalization thing so that we work a specific amount of hours over 4 weeks.

In other news ....the Escalade is nearing 85,000 miles. I still like the way it drives but I sure hate the way this stabilitrack system eats my brakes.

Badbart

Nov 20, 2011
Wow, haven't been here for a while. Somebody re-arranged the furniture! What's up Peeps?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Wanted to keep you on your toes.. How are things with you? Haven't seen you in quite some time.

Badbart

Nov 20, 2011
Doing well. Went to work for another government agency last year. It's been quite a ride.

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
And Badbart misses another opportunity to drink coffee with the Blazernut! And it looks like Florida won't be in the plans for awhile now .......

and the news is ..... Our daughter and her husband are going to have a baby. That makes us pretty happy. Now I will be a grandfather for the first time and the due date is Dec 31! So it may be next year ..... I sure hope I don't have to act my age ....... :wooot:

The weird part is that the due date is my mothers birthday. That would be so strange if it happened. Nobody would be celebrating your b-day because they would be celebrating New Years. :bonk:

And the poor kid will probably grow up cheering for those dirty stinking rotten no good for nothing Calgary Flames! :explode: :coffee:

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
Almost half way through another night shift.
The 'Lade has just kicked over 80k miles. It has been pretty good for maintenance and only requires brakes so far. Still trying to decide if a tranny cooler is required for towing. :undecided:
Trailblazer is still going strong @110k miles under the easy driving of my daughter.
Been camping twice this year. Looks like it will be about 3 or 4 trips this year and trying to decide if the $20 grand on the trailer was good or bad money.Maybe some fall camping is in order.

Hope you guys are staying somewhat sane :thumbsup:

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Back from vacation and already re-compressed at work. I think I got a major problem figured out though. Need to send the file to the main office for testing and then head up there.

Blade

Nov 20, 2011
It seems like every time I go back to work I get re-compressed. And I am only about $100k short for retirement money. :crazy:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online