Ready for the drop!

07TrailyLS

Original poster
May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
Morning fellow TB modders!! I've been doing tons of research on the lowering kits for this truck and am finding mixed reviews on all set ups... SO, I notice tony sells the full belltech 2/3 drop kit with the performance shocks for around 425 bucks. No big deal reasonably priced id say. But the upper control arms he sells that are required if I want to drop my front end the full 2 inches are 425 alone. I'm thinking of just doing 1 in the front and saving cash flow . I've also read to do anything lower than 1 inch?? In the back that I need a spring compressor.. Never used one or seen one. I'm sure I could use one just wondering how much they are usually so I don't get ripped off. Appreciate the help guys

07TrailyLS

Original poster
May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
Saw his ride before. Looks fine I am just a low guy is all

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
You will be safe with a 2" drop in front without mod UCA's, you don't need any special tools for the back at all, as long as you have an 18mm socket. the rear end is attached by linkage, so your just going to put the back of your truck on jack stands, remove the wheels, remove the bolts from the upper control arms on the axle, remove the bolts from the bottom of the struts, and drop the axle down just enough that your springs will literally just be sitting there. it's very easy in the back. you can pm me if you have any questions.

-Brandon

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:183]

Snailblazin'

Dec 9, 2011
You'll need a spring compressor for the strut swap: you'll remove your strut and compress and remove your spring to fit on the belltech drop strut, with appropriate spacer and stock insulator. I've used a spring compressor with both pneumatic and hand tools, so it can be done, just faster with air! Also a good time to inspect or replace your strut mounts if you're in there already.
I just finished installing the modified UCA from DJM/Tony and if you're going lower than 2" you'd be wise to replace those as well, as funds permit, because eventually you'll be on the hook for a pair of tires or worse if your upper ball joints bite it.

07TrailyLS

Original poster
May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
Snail, on Tonys site he states anything over a 1 inch drop requires his modified djm control arms ... Mostly all of you are saying the full two inches on stockers will be perfectly fine. Is this true? My tires are brand new so I'm just leaning toward hesitant. Is there any hard data showing a full two drop in the front will hurt your stance? Thanks

Snailblazin'

Dec 9, 2011
Fine...for a while. The truck won't be able to be aligned correctly. I found no hard data only a ton of anecdotal "evidence" which typically means nothing to me but I still bought them, as a bonus my stock UCAs were squeaking hard so the replacements had a twofold benefit.

marble_voy03

Mar 17, 2014
I used the belltech kit on my 03 envoy. It sits on 24s and my alignment is fine. No uneven wear or any other problems

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
^^ this! If you're going to do something, do it right the first time, especially when it deals with suspension. There's been threads and pictures of folks breaking UCA bolts, and upper ball joints over on ssowners. Can you get away with it for a while? Sure. Would I do it? Nope...

Snailblazin'

Dec 9, 2011
I'm gonna have to lurk tbss and find these pics for my own curiosity's satisfaction. Not saying it can't happen only I'd be suprised if there weren't other factors involved in shearing upper control arm bolts.

Now you know the risks vs. cost and how everyone feels (image of jrss beating a dead horse re: Tony's UCAs!!) all you have to do is whatever the hell you want to. Enjoy.

07TrailyLS

Original poster
May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
Thanks guys. The pic says it all ! Thanks for all the help and I might as well get Tonys uca's after seeing that mess lol

Reactions: yodaddy4200

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramzo358