Rattle Gun Recommendations?

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
(uh, mods...I couldn't find the 'tool time' section (actually, it's a thread, now that I recall)...but if we had the section as we'd been discussing, I'd have put this post in there...LOL)

So today, I went and picked up a used air compressor (s/b better than what I had, anyway)...

Old: 2(?) hp, 5cfm, 10gal, 90psi 'max'
New: 6hp, 6.4 scfm (yes, I know), 30 gal, 135psi max. (got it for $125, which is probably about what I paid for compressor #1 ten (?) years ago)

(both are 120vac -- yes, I know -- a 'real' compressor is 220v / 2-stage, but I don't have 220, and am not going to run it). FWIW, the first one is oil-lubed; the new one is oil-free (but it really doesn't seem louder to me - we'll see when I fire it up in my garage)

Thinking I'll be at least able to get lug nuts off now -- and hopefully more.

My current 'best' gun is a HF 'Earthquake' that's supposed to have 900-1300 ft/lb of loosening torque (I forget how much, but it's at least 900). Problem is, with the old compressor, it did no better at loosening than the cheaper guns. It was at that point I figured out I needed 'more compressor' (when I first researched, 5cfm@90 was supposed to be 'enough' for a rattle gun.)

I've heard that HF guns are waaay overrated in loosening torque ('crap', 'sh!t', etc., were some of the terms I saw)

I don't need a 'pro' gun (if I'm lucky, I use 2-3 times a year, although I'll be gettin' busy in the garage soon with the Sierra), and as such, don't want to pay $200 on up for a really nice I-R. Although I'll go there if I have no other choice - much easier on my nearly 55-year-old hands to use the gun. Not to mention quicker.

Suggestions? Or will I be fine cranking up the new compressor to 120psi for the really tight bolts (like my crank bolt, for example) ? I'll likely at least try the Earthquake, but wanted some other ideas on hand in case it still didn't loosen my 140 ft/lb lug nuts (and I then throw the gun across the garage in anger)

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Appreciate the suggestion (and the price isn't bad). I'd been reading about the Aircat, and was willing to go the $160 or so that costs, if I couldn't find a nice used one.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The IR 231C is a great basic impact. They are a tried and true design.

I second this. I have dads 231c and it's about 30 years old and has no problem breaking pretty much anything I throw at it. Just get a set of ear plugs to go with it. Heavy as hell and loud but a real beast. Brian's girlfriend got him one for Christmas and he busted the rear spring shackles right off on the duramax.

Reactions: m.mcmillen

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I'm seeing some cheap used ones on the Bay (none locally on Craigs). If my current gun doesn't cut it, I'll score the 231c. Thanks for the recs!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online