Raptor liner finally done (PIC HEAVY)

Kuchar09

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
So my goal was to stop the bottom of my doors from rusting out and also to make my front bumper look better since I never gave it a legit paint job. I went with raptor liner mostly since they have a tintable version for color matching and I have heard good things about them. I bought a kit of tintable and a kit of black for the bumper, skids and rock sliders.
Basically I just stripped the TB down and followed the body lines the best I could with my tape line.
Then I had to sand blast the bottom of my doors, skids and bumper.
I roughed up the paint then masked off the the whole truck and went to town!!!
Doesn't sound like much but I spent about 2 weeks non stop on this project.

I wasn't crazy about the whole liner idea but wanted to fix the rust ASAP!! In the end I think it all turned out great and I'm glad I did it!

Before

After

The process

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Great job! That looks damn good! :yes:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Looks similar to what I want to do to mine (though my rust is twice as bad and my rear wheel wells are really bad, I need new metal there). What did you sandblast the doors with? I was thinking of a wire wheel or something like that. How did you put the liner on there, is it brush on, spray on...?

Kuchar09

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Sparky said:
Looks similar to what I want to do to mine (though my rust is twice as bad and my rear wheel wells are really bad, I need new metal there). What did you sandblast the doors with? I was thinking of a wire wheel or something like that. How did you put the liner on there, is it brush on, spray on...?

I used a legit sand blaster from a friend just like this one.
Pressurized Sand Blaster

Wire brush may have worked on the doors but didn't even touch the bumper.
The liner is spray on and the nozzle is included in the kit.
U-Pol Raptor Spray-On Truck Bed Liner Kit - TP Tools & Equipment

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Very Nice. Hoping to be all moved in this weekend and do my monstaliner. With my bumpers powdercoated, I figure the roll on will do fin do fix the rust in the doors. I really like how yours is subtle, but really clean looking.

Cable810

Dec 5, 2011
Lookin good. Hoping I'll have the money to get mine done before winter hits.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Kuchar09 said:
I used a legit sand blaster from a friend just like this one.
Pressurized Sand Blaster

Wire brush may have worked on the doors but didn't even touch the bumper.
The liner is spray on and the nozzle is included in the kit.
U-Pol Raptor Spray-On Truck Bed Liner Kit - TP Tools & Equipment

Awesome thanks. This looks promising :biggrin: Now just to find some rust-free wheel well sheet metal, my friend to get some time available to do some welding, and to decide whether to tint mine body color or 2 tone mine with black on the bottom :undecided:

You've inspired me some more :biggrin:

Kuchar09

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Thanks for all the compliments guys. I was originally planing in doing the black but decided to take a gamble on the color match.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Looks great! I cant wait to do this on my 02 in a few weeks! :thumbsup:

Wow, thats a lot of rust for an 06, really glad I dont have the issue in Seattle! But, I want to make sure I dont going forward, especially with the 02 spending its winters in Bozeman, MT.

Methinks you need an adjustable panhard bar for the rear, couldnt quite tell from the second to last pic, but I think the pass wheel sticks WAY out compared to the drivers side.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
That looks really good!

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
Looks good. Great job.

Now, don't forget to finish it off by srpaying the inners of the doors with a rust preventative, so that all that hard work is not lost when the internal rust comes back.

Many products out there, here is just one that you could use....

View attachment 22011

Attachments

• p1458.jpg
    p1458.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 158

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
Kuchar09 said:
Thanks for reminding me gotta go pick up some of this soon.
3M Rust Fighter-I 08892

I'd recommend POR-15 as the better solution to stop rust and keep it from ever returning. Many a Corvette owner recommended it to me, I did my frame on my Corvette with it. Works greats!

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
mikekey said:
I'd recommend POR-15 as the better solution to stop rust and keep it from ever returning. Many a Corvette owner recommended it to me, I did my frame on my Corvette with it. Works greats!

I, repsectfully, disagree. POR-15 is an excellent product....not argument there. However, here is why I wouldn't use it on door inners:-

- it's paint, so it will be difficult and messy to apply to a door inner space, plus I doubt you will get the total coverage you need for the job to be good
- it's needs a clean surface to adhere to, and the door inners are hard/impossible to clean and prep enough for POR-15

POR-15 would be a good product for frame rails and the like.

The 2 products previously listed, plus many others on the market just like them, are designed especially to creep into interior spaces and lay down a non-hardening barrier against future rust.

As always, YMMV

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
davenay67 said:
I, repsectfully, disagree. POR-15 is an excellent product....not argument there. However, here is why I wouldn't use it on door inners:-

- it's paint, so it will be difficult and messy to apply to a door inner space, plus I doubt you will get the total coverage you need for the job to be good
- it's needs a clean surface to adhere to, and the door inners are hard/impossible to clean and prep enough for POR-15

POR-15 would be a good product for frame rails and the like.

As always, YMMV

I'd say YMMV is about right, however...

Your two points are misconceptions of the product.

First it is not that messy or difficult to lay down on interiors and can be sprayed. I used it against my firewall and around my window and t-tops and pillars. All curved surfaces.

As for coverage, thats called multiple coats. Problem solved. What are you going to get out a laser and measure the coverage depth?

And it doesn't need a clean surface. The can says clean surface prep, but the stuff adheres and goes right over rust and dirt. I can't tell you how dirty my garage floor was with oil and all, and the shit won't come off the floor. Granted the floor is more porous, which could allow for great cohesion.

I've seen others and I've done go right over rust. Anyways, YMMV and like you said, it might not fit your application or preferences.

There is another substance too, I wish I knew what it was, but I used to use it in construction that converted rust back to metal via chemical reaction so it could be painted. It was a type of acid but was safe to handle. Pretty much apply it with a brush, was a green liquid, if anyone knows what I'm talking about...

Oh well. Your truck still looks awesome. :thumbsup:

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
mikekey said:
Your two points are misconceptions of the product.

I own a 16 year old Jeep Wrangler. Trust me, I know all about rust and the use of POR-15. :biggrin:

mikekey said:
As for coverage, thats called multiple coats. Problem solved. What are you going to get out a laser and measure the coverage depth?

By coverage, I wasn't referring to depth of application. I actually meant a product that 'creeps' into tight spaces. These wax-based solutions are designed to get into very tight areas such as door bottoms and edges. POR-15 has to be really thinned down to do the same.

Bottom line is that using any product is going to help the vehicle, certainly past the weak rust-proofing done by Chevy. :thumbsup:

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
Yeah I guess what you're applying it to would be a factor I hadn't thought of. Didn't know about the wax products. That's good info to know should I need to rust proof something. We're lucky on this TB. Our first one was from NY and was a rust bucket. :thumbsup:

rjpoog1989

Dec 4, 2011
That looks awesome! Good work!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online