Random cylinder misfire, too lean/rich. Help!

TxMaverick75

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
I recently replaced my 5.3ltr in my 06 envoy Denali. It seems to idle fine for a while then starts to idle rough. It seems every few minutes the computer straightens up problem but eventually goes back to rough idle. The vehicle seems to drive fine on flat land but going uphill under a load it is misfiring and dumping fuel until it won't go uphill anymore. If I turn off vehicle and restart I can go fine again momentarily. So far I have swapped throttle body and fuel rail, installed new plugs/wires, coil packs, and engine coolant sensor but it is still doing the same thing. Any thoughts or ideas as to my next step would be greatly appreciated!!

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
Do you have a OBD2 code reader? Is CEL light on?
Can you read any codes? Would be very helpful to us
to know the answer.

TxMaverick75

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
The cel blinks first then stays lit. Giving p0300 code so random and to rich/ lean but no sensor codes?

TxMaverick75

Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
Yea I replaced engine coolant sensor today because that was my next guess and when I told a buddy he said that might be the reason but it's doing the exact same thing still? I'm not sure what my next step should be? Thanks

88Ironduke_1

Oct 24, 2014
Had this on a 5.3 I swapped into a Firebird as a project car. Check to make sure the oxygen sensors are not reversed. The harnesses are just long enough to get reversed and will cause all kinds of havoc. It would explain recurring lean/rich issues. The PCM is attempting to straighten itself out based on O2 sensor readings but continually is not getting expected results.

88Ironduke

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
Have you checked the air filter and MAF sensor? Looking at perhaps a problem with the air intake.

You really need some data with a live stream scan tool if you want to see exactly what is happening. The Torque app and a smartphone can do this if you are familiar with it. Or a friend with a high end scan tool.

Otherwise you are really just guessing (just like my WAG above :frown: )

88Ironduke_1

Oct 24, 2014
Should have been a tad bit more specific, the O2 sensor harnesses should be checked for being plugged into their corresponding banks. Call it a WAG but the suspect area to be looking at is the engine swap itself. Even on a good day good mechanics can get two identical sensor plugs backwards, the sensor wire bundles are long enough to swap bank to bank. This problem plagued my Firebird for a few weeks until a mechanic from outside the loop suggested it. A simple check wire color codes will tell you if they are right. Mine were wrong. If I'm right the first time the engine is cranked up it will run and sound as it should. But its just a wag. :smile:

88Ironduke

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adungyyy

Members Online