Ramps & Jackstands

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I have a set of ramps I use when I'm changing my oil etc. I also have a set of four jack stands I use when I'm doing something like rotating my tires.

Question: Is it safe to drive the front of the truck up on to the ramps, and then jack the rear up and put it on jack-stands? This would be if I was messing with my O2 sensors or repairing heat shielding or something like that.

It seems pretty safe in my mind but is it?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I prefer to put the rear end on ramps, and then jack up the front.

This allows you to use the parking brake/pawl to hold the truck so you can do the front safer.

Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
Yes it is safe. Just one thing one must remember if you are using a floor jack is that the arm on the jack tries to "pull" the vehicle toward the pump handle as you are pumping (or "push" the jack in the opposite direction if it is on a smooth floor) because the arm of the jack moves in an arc. I say this because sometimes I forget and the jack tries to come off the vehicle if the parking brake is on. If you are using a bottle jack ignore this comment, but either way it is safe to use ramps along with jackstands or just jack stands. And one important last thing is after the vehicle is raised push the vehicle with all your might to see if it safe off the ground. It is better for the vehicle to fall off jack stands while you are above it and not beneath it.

Sqrly

Apr 2, 2024
Livingston CA
And one important last thing is after the vehicle is raised push the vehicle with all your might to see if it safe off the ground. It is better for the vehicle to fall off jack stands while you are above it and not beneath it.

This! I always try to knock it off the stands before getting under it.

Also, you should only use a floor jack on a surface it can roll freely on. If it's trying to pull your vehicle it's not working properly.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonu

Members Online