Rainier v8 fuse box under back seat

johnbuick

Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
Cookeville
Anyone else had one go bad?

Cost $900. from dealer my mechanic said he knew of several going bad.

Hope it is a recall from GM

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Well... if you're willing to R&R yourself (or have a resource who'll do it for less than $800) - check out www.car-part.com

I see one for a 2007 Ranier 5.3 in S. Dakota for $100. There are others, too - that's just the first one I saw.
You contact the location you want to purchase from; they validate the part and give you a shipping quote.
You can search on other models that might interchange (like our TrailBlazers and Envoys) or just search specifically on Rainiers.

As far as the boxes going bad - check to see if you don't have a short somewhere. There are threads here describing owners who thought they had a bad box - and many times, they found a cut or bare wire.

AFAIK, there's no open recall on these (and wouldn't be unless a 'safety' issue was at large (like starting fires, etc.))

If you need schematics, check out any post by Mooseman - he has links to them in his signature.

johnbuick

Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
Cookeville
Well... if you're willing to R&R yourself (or have a resource who'll do it for less than $800) - check out www.car-part.com

I see one for a 2007 Ranier 5.3 in S. Dakota for $100. There are others, too - that's just the first one I saw.
You contact the location you want to purchase from; they validate the part and give you a shipping quote.
You can search on other models that might interchange (like our TrailBlazers and Envoys) or just search specifically on Rainiers.

As far as the boxes going bad - check to see if you don't have a short somewhere. There are threads here describing owners who thought they had a bad box - and many times, they found a cut or bare wire.

AFAIK, there's no open recall on these (and wouldn't be unless a 'safety' issue was at large (like starting fires, etc.))

If you need schematics, check out any post by Mooseman - he has links to them in his signature.
Thank you for quick response. Have already had shop replace (bohica)
Will check on site next time before pulling trigger

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Have seen a few underhood boxes go bad but never heard of a rear one. Sage advice from @Reprise to double check before replacing it.

The Rainier's box may not interchange with anything since it's AWD compared to 4x4 on all the others. The 9-7x is too much of an oddball to even consider. I'd just get one from another Rainier to be sure if it does need replacing.

Reactions: Reprise

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Looks like he had the dealer already replace it ('bohica'), then came here to inquire.

People gotta learn with GMT360s, given their age / status - the dealership is the place of LAST (not 'first') resort.

16vcabman

May 10, 2018
Ortonville, Mi
Depending on problem. I have seen people spend hundreds of dollars and many shops
Brought it in and we knew right away what was wrong. For your every day run of the mill stuff don't go to dealership. On rear fuse boxes the thing that gets them is kids. Foil paper from gum, change, you name it. If it is metallic it can damage. I seen stuff get under both covers. I have seen circuits fail because of to much current draw. Keep that area clean and usually very little problem.

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Depending on problem. I have seen people spend hundreds of dollars and many shops
Brought it in and we knew right away what was wrong.

Guessing you work(ed) for GM in a service capacity. Wasn't my intent to impugn you or your coworkers; we know for the most part that the mechs / techs work toward getting it right on the first visit. And the mechs certainly have more training than we do!

My comments were geared more toward:
- Dealer practices w/ regard to service procedures / costs (one example: billing for full book time, when the actual took half the time)

- The fact that the last 360 came off the line almost 10MY ago - there are now service personnel who may have never seen one of these and don't know the unique issues with these vehicles, and how to work with / around them.

For the most part, people who spend time in this forum are:
- Intellectually curious as to how these vehicles run / fail (and using that knowledge in order to keep them on the road)
- More geared toward self-sufficiency, when possible

Anyway...no personal slight intended, and hopefully, no hard feelings.

Reactions: Mooseman

16vcabman

May 10, 2018
Ortonville, Mi
Guessing you work(ed) for GM in a service capacity. Wasn't my intent to impugn you or your coworkers; we know for the most part that the mechs / techs work toward getting it right on the first visit. And the mechs certainly have more training than we do!

My comments were geared more toward:
- Dealer practices w/ regard to service procedures / costs (one example: billing for full book time, when the actual took half the time)

- The fact that the last 360 came off the line almost 10MY ago - there are now service personnel who may have never seen one of these and don't know the unique issues with these vehicles, and how to work with / around them.

For the most part, people who spend time in this forum are:
- Intellectually curious as to how these vehicles run / fail (and using that knowledge in order to keep them on the road)
- More geared toward self-sufficiency, when possible

Anyway...no personal slight intended, and hopefully, no hard feelings.
Oh please don't mind me If. You read my reply, I did say that most work can be done cheaper elsewhere. I have found dealerships more helpful on problem cars. The sad part is most dealers don't have Tech's that are worth a darn. The Boomer techs are retired and the younger tech has a lot to learn1

Reactions: Mooseman

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
:Lager Louts:

johnbuick

Original poster
Feb 8, 2015
Cookeville
Looks like he had the dealer already replace it ('bohica'), then came here to inquire.

People gotta learn with GMT360s, given their age / status - the dealership is the place of LAST (not 'first') resort.
Did not go to dealership shop could only buy from dealer

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online