Rainier Air Suspension

bogieman

Original poster
Aug 6, 2014
I have read the threads about changing the rear air suspension to coil springs. First question is, have any of you done this mod and wish you had stayed with the air? I am old enough to really appreciate the ride quality of the Rainier (2005 117000mi.) and if it makes a noticeable difference, I would just bite the bullet and stay with air. I just purchased this car for an extra vehicle and it is in excellent condition, but it has the passenger side low lean-about 3/4" difference all the time, doesn't leak down. Just had new tires put on and the guy at the tire shop tried to adjust the level sensors and really just succeeded in lowering the rear lower than the front.

The air bags look to be original and look pretty aged, and I hate the car not sitting level so really looking hard at the coil spring kit. It looks like it will need bags soon, so I am going to head it off before I have a real issue. I will not be using the car for heavy towing.

Second question is have any of you that went with the coil springs still have the unlevel issue?

thanks for any replies

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
From what I understand, generally it's the bag causing a leveling issue, properly-installed, identical springs shouldn't show a big lean. There may be SLIGHT nuances due to the assymetrical weight distribution, but I would imagine it would be more toward the driver's side with a full gas tank, and not 3/4".

As for ride quality, I can't say I've ever been in one with air suspension, but it depends on your choice of springs. Going for a stock replacement gives a decent ride, but some people swap in springs meant for a Z71 Tahoe I believe it is, which of course would be stiffer.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I was tired of the rear not being level and the shitty ride it have me being lowered on deflated bags. So i went to coils and never looked back. I do have helper bags since i sit pretty low.

Sounds like your problem is the sensor not the bag. All you need to do is adjust a sensor so you sit level again.

bogieman

Original poster
Aug 6, 2014
jrSS said:
I was tired of the rear not being level and the shitty ride it have me being lowered on deflated bags. So i went to coils and never looked back. I do have helper bags since i sit pretty low.

Sounds like your problem is the sensor not the bag. All you need to do is adjust a sensor so you sit level again.
I agree with you on the sensor issue. I just figure with the miles on it, I will be forced to do something with it at some point, and if coils are close in ride, that sounds like a worry free fix. What coils and shocks did you use? and is there something else causing you to sit so low?

thanks for the replies

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
I think almost every Envoy I see has the passenger side rear sitting lower, and I'm sure they didn't all have the air suspensions. jrSS has the right idea to get it level with the sensor adjustment. I'd put the passenger side up as much as you can and then lower the drivers side to get it level. If these trucks all came from the factory this way then I can't see coil springs leveling it out unless there were a left and right spring. At least with the air suspension you have the option to make the adjustment. Arnott offers decent pricing on replacement parts. https://www.arnottcanada.com/buick-rainier-2005-air-suspension-products.aspx

I like the air suspension it keeps my truck level all the time with varying loads of cargo and trailer tongue weight. Mine will even raise as I add fuel to the tank if the truck is running.

mikezuz

Dec 14, 2013
Just noticed today my 05 Rainier back end sitting low . Compressor is not kicking on , checked fuse it's ok, tried to turn on compressor in rear compartment will not turn on.

What is the next step ? Any help will be appreciated.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
bogieman said:
I agree with you on the sensor issue. I just figure with the miles on it, I will be forced to do something with it at some point, and if coils are close in ride, that sounds like a worry free fix. What coils and shocks did you use? and is there something else causing you to sit so low?

thanks for the replies
ib used a custom spring that Tony (Norcal SS) had made. Its a 5" drop spring.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
mikezuz said:
Just noticed today my 05 Rainier back end sitting low . Compressor is not kicking on , checked fuse it's ok, tried to turn on compressor in rear compartment will not turn on.

What is the next step ? Any help will be appreciated.
if the compressor will not turn on. .. sounds like the compressor is done.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Or the power or ground went missing on the way to the compressor. Time to apply your voltmeter to the connector at the compressor end. Member Mooseman has manuals available for download.

bogieman

Original poster
Aug 6, 2014
Decided to try the coil springs. Car is jacked up ready to start and I realized I wasn't sure what to do about the level sensors. Plan is to leave compressor in place and plug air lines at the air bags, to make it easier if I or anyone else wants to go back to air suspension. I gather if I keep the 30a ECAS fuse pulled, I should have no issues with warning lights, and I know I will lose the aux air outlet (don't care).

Can I leave the sensors in place? Unplug them?

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Just pull the #1 fuse under the hood. Thats what ive done. And if u need to use the filler put the fuse back in and Presto.

Reactions: bogieman

mikezuz

Dec 14, 2013
Has anyone used the A.C. Delco springs part # 45H2133 in a conversion from air to coils? I was wondering how these compaired to the conversion kit from Strutmasters ? Rock Auto has the Delco's for $70.00 vs. $270.00 for Strutmasters. Car is an "05" Rainier great shape 75K but wife only uses around town.

jpr1978

Dec 9, 2011
The_Roadie said:
Or the power or ground went missing on the way to the compressor. Time to apply your voltmeter to the connector at the compressor end. Member Mooseman has manuals available for download.
Roadie...need your help! Long time no chat...hope you're well, I have a 2007 9-7x and I had my tech replace the rear shocks with new arnott air shocks because the original bags were leaking. Now that the new bags are in, the compressor will not inflate them. The compressor starts working when you press the inflate switch inside the rear compartment, but does nothing with the bags. Any ideas on where to start? The compressor would fill the leaking bags before the tech replaced them with new bags.

As always thank you for your insight!!

02Olds

Dec 29, 2012
I deleted the bags to lower my Rainier. My only regret, is that I did not keep the compressor, as I'm a BMX rider, and it was quite convenient to have a tire pump. Even lowered, the ride is better, in my opinion.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmaxdob

Members Online