Radio will not turn off

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
This happened once last week. I figured it was random/one off. The radio had not turn off after three drives today.

I turn the vehicle off, remove the key, open the driver's door and the radio stays on. There interior lights do turn on so, I assume the switch/latch on the driver's door works and is communicating with the BCM.

I have already swapped out the radio with a radio from the junkyard and programmed it to my vehicle.

I just went out to see if the passengers door would turn the radio off and the radio was off before I opened the driver's door. It works again by opening the driver's door. I tested it the times.

I'm sure this is going to keep randomly happening now. Is the next test the ignition switch?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If everything else shuts down, I wouldn't think it was the ignition switch but it's worth a shot. Other than that, something is happening with RAP. Is anything else like the windows also staying on?

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
I'm not familiar with what RAP stands for, please inform me though. I'd have to check the windows when it happens again but, yes everything else seems to turn off when I open the driver's door.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
This has happened to me a few times. I blame it on the ddm that's in there now. It's from an 05 envoy and my truck is an 08, it's never happened till I put this ddm in. What I do to shut it down is open the driver side passenger door. Once again this only happens randomly and hasn't happened in like 2 months so it's hard for me to trouble shoot when it doesn't happen. I'm picking up another 06-09 ddm soon and hopefully it will never happen again.

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
@xavierny25 ya know what... Last week before this happened I did have an idea with the DDM. I couldn't get it to lock/unlock the vehicle. It only happened once, so again... Just a fluke. Might be an issue though.

There's an 06 Saab at the junk yard. I'll pick one up tomorrow to test, when this happens again.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I'm not familiar with what RAP stands for, please inform me though.

Retained Accessory Power, basically keep certain features powered on, after the key is switched off, until one of the doors is opened, or 10 minutes passes, whichever happens first.

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
Retained Accessory Power, basically keep certain features powered on, after the key is switched off, until one of the doors is opened, or 10 minutes passes, whichever happens first.
Is that a module or a program in the BCM?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Possible but not likely. I would suspect the radio first.

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
After thinking about this for a while last night... I went through my saved reports on my scanner and saw a few random codes that could help with diagnosis. I run a scan at least once a week exactly for this purpose. These codes never set a CEL but they were read on the scanner.

B1327 - Device Power 1 Circuit Low
U1064 - Loss of Communications with DIM

I do have my transfer case unplugged at the moment. So I do have C0306 and C0327 that are related to the transfer case being unplugged.

I have also been getting a random wheel speed sensor code that I have been putting off. It doesn't turn the CEL on either though, C0245.

No issues with the radio not turning off this morning.

Dr.Fiero

Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
Mine does it as well, BUT in my case, it's the door switch.
My interior lights don't go off though. It's as if you never opened the door.
I do the rear door shuffle, or I just take my key and jiggle the switch a time or two. Works every time.

Reactions: xavierny25

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
I do the rear door shuffle, or I just take my key and jiggle the switch a time or two. Works every time.
I'll give that a try next time it happens. I need to have this fixed before it starts to get really cold here. I don't need that radio killing my battery at some point.

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013

So where is this door switch exactly? It's got to be magnetic as I don't see a pin switch or something similar. Any pictures exist from any past thread?

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
So where is this door switch exactly? It's got to be magnetic as I don't see a pin switch or something similar. Any pictures exist from any past thread?
I would assume it's inside the black box where the electrical portion of the latch is.

Trailblazer Door Latch.jpg

Reactions: cornchip

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
First you need to confirm that it is related to the door switch. Open the drivers door, does the radio stay on? If yes, open any of the other doors. Does the radio turn off? If it does, then suspect the drivers door latch. This is a common problem on the GM full size trucks, but does happen GM wide. On the full size platform, it causes other issues (dead battery, and charging system issues). Not sure what it will cause on our GMT's. The correct repair is to replace the door latch with electronics. No reprogramming required, its just a swapping of parts.

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
First you need to confirm that it is related to the door switch. Open the drivers door, does the radio stay on? If yes, open any of the other doors. Does the radio turn off? If it does, then suspect the drivers door latch. This is a common problem on the GM full size trucks, but does happen GM wide. On the full size platform, it causes other issues (dead battery, and charging system issues). Not sure what it will cause on our GMT's. The correct repair is to replace the door latch with electronics. No reprogramming required, its just a swapping of parts.
I am hoping that the door switch is bad!!! I am not in the mood to deal with the BCM or grounds 😆
Just waiting for it to happen again now.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Whether the switch is bad or not, it should shut off after 10 minutes, which is the normal function of RAP.

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
It happened again this morning...

I turned the key to turn off the vehicle, opened the driver's door, and the interior lights came on but, the radio did not shut off. I immediately opened the passenger's door and the radio shut off.

I'll replace the latch hopefully this weekend with a new ACDelco latch and I'll report back if it happens again.

Reactions: xavierny25

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If the light came on, that tells me the door latch switch is working since it's also controlled by the BCM. I would try the door latch first anyway since replacing the BCM is a bitch requiring a dealer or a Tech 2 to reprogram it as well as VATS to work with it.

Reactions: Maverick6587

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.