Radio replacement

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
Hey. I'm running into issues with my hu install. Have run all new wires to the hu opening all i have to do now is remove the factory hu and pull my new wires through. My question is since this is more than a 1 day process, can i drive the truck with the original bose radio out? Kind of a project and need the vehicle everyday. There is a security light on the hu that blinks but, nothing works which is why I'm working on relacing it. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't gonna screw up anything driving it around without the radio?

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
Ok, thank you. Looks like a real mess back there. My other concern was the bare wire back there. I just taped it up along with the harness to neaten it up. Anything look not right here? Or am i good to proceed?

Attachments

• 0421191703.jpg
    0421191703.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 19

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
You're good to go. :thumbsup:

FREAKINCAGE

Apr 25, 2019
Mabitoba, Canada
Food for thought. When I did my pioneer touch screen and headrest monitors, I went to Walmart and picked up a cheap scosche interface. It was around $30 and made the install plug and play. The cheap model that I picked up does the vehicle chimes through a little box attached to the harness. The more expensive harness which was around $120, kept everything like chimes through the speakers, steering wheel controls, etc.

Stuntmanmike77

Original poster
May 6, 2018
Sanford, ME
I Finally have all the hardware i need to install my speakers into the new pods. My last question is, I'm still a little uneasy about throwing these in without protection. Has anyone tried the boommat speaker baffles? Do they work or am i good without them?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I used speaker baffles on one of my previous vehicles. To set your mind at ease, you could do a simple test. With the door wide open, window up 100%, and interior panel removed so you can see where the speaker would be, pour water on the rubber seal between the glass and the door, and see how much, if any makes it behind the seal and into the interior of the door.

If none, then you don't need the baffles at all. If some does, an alternative would be to replace the weather stripping itself.

Reactions: Mooseman

FREAKINCAGE

Apr 25, 2019
Mabitoba, Canada
I can’t say for certain on a TB, but I’ve never used them in any of other vehicles I’ve done and I’ve never had an issue. The last install was Boston Acoustic components in my Tundra and no problems after 6 or so years. If your door seals are good, you shouldn’t have an issue either. Also, if the speakers you removed didn’t have water stains on the paper, that’s a good indication that your seals are good.

Reactions: Mooseman

16vcabman

May 10, 2018
Ortonville, Mi
I hope you bought the interface unit that will allow an aftermarket radio to work. This car is canbus so you need a PAC RP5-GM1 to work. That will give you steering wheel controls and other function like chime.

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
Nah most of the speaker issues on these things were the cheap $10 chinese speakers they used in these. I had to replace all 4 within the first 5 years of ownership . Think I used Pioneers and have never had another issue with any of them .

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I wonder why the speakers seem to be hit or miss with quality. I am still running my 15 year old BOSE factory speakers in my Envoy, and I quite regularly have it turned up to full, and speakers still sound great.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online