Radio Interference using HIDs or LEDs - Possible Solution?

Sib

Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
Ok so since I added my LED brake lights and rear turns I get some interference from my radio when I either hit the brakes or flip on the turn signals.

Also, I bought a pair of cheapo HID fog lights and when they are on I also get some interference. I have a pair of TRS Morimoto HIDs in the lows and do not get any interference from those, but I figured their quality is why I do not get any.

So, I was window shopping on TRS and I saw these EMI/RFI reducer rings on their website and thought these could possibly help. From what I read on them it seems they will but wasn't sure if anyone has heard of them or has even used them.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/accessories/ferrite-emi-blocking-rings.html#.VTBqgFI8LCQ

Thanks for any feedback.

Matt (Sib)

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
I've never had any kind of interference on any of my trucks with HID or LED.

I'd check the radio and antenna grounds.

Reactions: Blckshdw and Sib

Sib

Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
TBH it's really only with AM radio which is what I listen to mainly. FM is fine.

I'll check grounds for the antenna though.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I get noise on FM with my HID. Morimoto even. Not sure why. I may try something like that but I rarely listen to FM anymore.

I think you can get them in a bulk package for cheaper but I don't know the dimensions you'd need.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Very strange. Like AWD mentioned, I have replaced every incadescent bulb with LEDs and also running HIDs in the headlights and fogs and never have had radio interference. Although, I never listen to AM and rarely listen to FM. 95% of the time I am listening to XM radio which has zero interference as well.

Are you still running the factory antenna in its stock location? Hidden under the wiper cowl?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
In my case I've had no interference with my LEDs, just HIDs when they're on. Factory antenna in the stock location. Anything else made the signal suck more or less.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Sib said:
Ok so since I added my LED brake lights and rear turns I get some interference from my radio when I either hit the brakes or flip on the turn signals.

Also, I bought a pair of cheapo HID fog lights and when they are on I also get some interference. I have a pair of TRS Morimoto HIDs in the lows and do not get any interference from those, but I figured their quality is why I do not get any.

So, I was window shopping on TRS and I saw these EMI/RFI reducer rings on their website and thought these could possibly help. From what I read on them it seems they will but wasn't sure if anyone has heard of them or has even used them.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/accessories/ferrite-emi-blocking-rings.html#.VTBqgFI8LCQ

Thanks for any feedback.

Matt (Sib)
http://www.radioshack.com/snap-choke-core/2730069.html#.VTCQeJN5LDQ

Reactions: Sib and Blckshdw

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
One guy on hidp swears by grounding everything (relay harness, antenna) straight to the battery instead of frame, said that gets rid of interference for him.

Could be worth a shot but idk..

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I'd also recommend checking the splice pack on the passenger side of the radio stack, just to make sure that hasn't gotten loose. :twocents:

Sib

Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
dmanns67 said:
Very strange. Like AWD mentioned, I have replaced every incadescent bulb with LEDs and also running HIDs in the headlights and fogs and never have had radio interference. Although, I never listen to AM and rarely listen to FM. 95% of the time I am listening to XM radio which has zero interference as well.

Are you still running the factory antenna in its stock location? Hidden under the wiper cowl?
Antenna still in factory location. I'll double check it for loose connections though.

Sparky said:
In my case I've had no interference with my LEDs, just HIDs when they're on. Factory antenna in the stock location. Anything else made the signal suck more or less.
Mine is mainly with my LED brakes and rear turns. When I hit the brake the static is brutal.

The fog HIDs give off a little hum interference but not nearly as annoying and the LEDs.

djthumper said:
Thanks. I think I still have a Radio Shack close to me actually so I see what they have in stock. For only a couple bucks I guess it's worth a shot to get a couple to try.

Mounce said:
One guy on hidp swears by grounding everything (relay harness, antenna) straight to the battery instead of frame, said that gets rid of interference for him.

Could be worth a shot but idk..
It's mainly with my LEDs. I am going to double check antenna and its connections again though.

Blckshdw said:
I'd also recommend checking the splice pack on the passenger side of the radio stack, just to make sure that hasn't gotten loose. :twocents:
Sounds good. I'll double check that this weekend. I'll also try and pick up a few of those little buggers from Radio Shack and see.

Sib

Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
Ok so just an update...

Picked up a few of these from Radio Shack and they did not do anything. They were too big for the rear brake light wires so I am thinking that is why. Haven't been able to find anything smaller.

Everything else I checked, and was still in good shape/intact so I guess I'll just deal with it. It's not completely unbearable, but annoying none-the-less, and the funny thing is it doesn't happen all the time. :crazy:

I guess if this is my only main issue, my truck is being a good girl. :yes:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Actually the leds in the cabin on the boat that we put in interfere with the radio now too..... interestingly enough none of the other ones on the boat do. Just throwing it out there that they are cheap Chinese ones.

Sib

Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
Mine are CCC too. I guess you gotta pick your battles.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The only other thing is I re routed the positive line as well. I'll try the incandescent ones again and see if it's still there

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
HID I can understand, but LED causing noise? That makes no sense to me :blinkhuh:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The ones I have have a copper wire wrapped around a plastic piece, tightly like how you would make a magnet and I think that's the issue with me.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Those sound weird.

Reactions: Blckshdw

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Not a normal led I've seen by any means, but they work.

uploadfromtaptalk1430226574308.png
uploadfromtaptalk1430226583493.png

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Well that makes sense. At any rate, that is probably generating noise, lets put it this way, the station we listen to is about 15 miles away and it goes to complete static, so it's really bad.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
With it exposed and not shielded you cannot get rid of the noise. Time to go to a different LED.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Well that's the other thing, I've tried about 10 other ones. These were the only ones of the same brightness as the halogens that also fit into the housing. Probably doesn't help that it's in a metal bowl too.we don't leave the cabin lights on enough for it to be an issue.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Well that leaves you with one viable option left. :deal:

1. Do a bit of research
  2. Design and build your own LED setup
  3. Sit back and enjoy your handy work
  4. Drop the mic (or soldering iron if microphone not present) and drive away.

:cool:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
That's not a bad idea. Been needing an excuse to make some stuff. I'll probably start woth the dome lights in the trailblazer though. [emoji2]

Reactions: Blckshdw and Mounce

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
littleblazer said:
That's not a bad idea. Been needing an excuse to make some stuff. I'll probably start woth the dome lights in the trailblazer though. [emoji2]
If/when I rework my dome light panels, I think I may introduce some voltage regulation. It may be either the fact that I used a boatload of CCC LEDs off Ebay, random voltage spikes, or a combination of both, but on occasion an LED has burnt out, taking out the other 2 in the string. Minor inconvenience to test for which one, bit more of an inconvenience to R/R.

Reactions: Mounce

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Late to this party but that extra circuitry is probably a DC-DC converter and is boosting the voltage. In the process its going to generate RF that will easily take out the AM radio. Possibly putting more than one ferrite core on each set of wires may help. But these noise generators are so physically close that you'll still hear something. I'd like to see the driver schematics to come up with more ideas.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online