Radio compatibility - Bose 6CD

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I have a 2004 TB with the stock 6CD Bose unit. Over the past few years radio reception has gotten progressively worse. I picked up an adapter and an aftermarket antenna, but it barely made a difference. My morning drive puts me within 40 miles of downtown Denver yet reception of some of the strongest stations is still marginal. I give up...

Best guess is there's a problem inside the radio, so I've decided to pick up a replacement. But what years are compatible? I seem to recall hearing that the 2005 model introduced an actual working AUX feature (unlike the non-functional button on my unit) -- would such a model be a drop-in replacement as long as I stick with the Bose 6CD models? And how do you tell which units have the working Aux?

If the Aux information is NOT correct, then I'll stick with whatever models are directly compatible. If someone could fill me in on what I should be looking for (keeping in mind that online sale pictures are not always the clearest), I would appreciate it.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I think the issue is lux vs. Non lux. I believe the earlier ones used lux and later did not? But I'm not sure. Otherwise they should drop in...

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Lux? Is that like satellite radio?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
It's the style of amplifier iirc.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
AFAIK there are no OEM radios on our platform that had a functional AUX input, despite the button taunting us all.

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Well that figures. I can't believe through 8 years of production and GM didn't hear a hell of a lot of bitching about a non-functional device.

So, any more input on what years are compatible? I saw on ebay they all have 2005-2007 listed separately from the 2002-2004 radios, even though they're all Bose 6CD units.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
If you want an AUX hookup from a stock radio, you need one from an 03-05 full size truck , like an Escalade or Hoe, that has a BAND button, not just AM/FM.

It also depends on whether you have LUX or non-LUX ie: amp or no amp.

I've looked at it for years and have finally decided that I'm going to go with an aftermarket Kenwood HU, new speakers and the harness that keeps the amp, steering wheel controls and RSE.

ddgm

May 7, 2013
Well that figures. I can't believe through 8 years of production and GM didn't hear a hell of a lot of bitching about a non-functional device.

So, any more input on what years are compatible? I saw on ebay they all have 2005-2007 listed separately from the 2002-2004 radios, even though they're all Bose 6CD units.
Keep in mind that used radios will require a dealer to remove the theft lock, so best have a good receipt. I keep threatening to install a NAV HU with backup camera in my Saab, but haven't done it yet.

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Actually my stock unit does say "band" rather than AM/FM, and I do have an amp as part of the Bose sound system.

I finally went ahead and grabbed a unit from ebay. Not too bad, $83 with shipping, the face appears to be in good condition (but I figured I could always pull the face or buttons from mine if needed). I do know about the theftlock, will have to see what I can do to get that unlocked.

I've been putting this off for over a year because I have been collecting components to do my own carPC. I actually have a nice pile of pieces, but have gotten stuck at the software and lack of support on the computer board I was trying to use. Now I'm looking into the Odroid-C2 and will likely pick up one of those soon, but in the meantime I really need to just get a working radio in my truck.

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I got the new radio installed last night, but hoping someone can help me out. In reading about the theftlock stuff (I know this unit is VIN-encoded, needs a dealer to unlock), I ran across a combination of buttons that would unlock the radio for 10 minutes for testing. Of course I didn't think to write down those buttons! Does anyone know what the sequence was? I would like to give the new radio a test out on the road to make sure this actually resolves my poor reception issue *before* I spend fifty bucks having the dealer perform a 2-minute unlock procedure.

For reference, the donor radio is from a 2007 Envoy, but it is still the same Bose 6-CD radio that I originally had.

swede

Jun 22, 2014
You just need a Tech 2 to unlock the radio, maybe you know someone who have one?

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
You just need a Tech 2 to unlock the radio, maybe you know someone who have one?

Yeah, I wish. I have HPTuners, but haven't found anything to suggest that has the ability to access the radio.

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Well I found something that works... You can press 5, right Seek, and Power all at the same time, and it will turn on the radio. None of the buttons work, and you have to turn on the ignition to turn the radio back off again, but the results were promising! I picked up my favorite low-power station in the parking lot at work -- behind buildings and trees -- and usually I can't even receive the high-power stations from here.

Too bad the damn dealership wants $80 to spend 5 minutes programming the new VIN into the radio. Sheesh.

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
And yes, $80 is what they actually quoted me...

So something interesting happened tonight. On the way home I stopped at a couple places and checked the radio reception. Yeah that doesn't sound any better than what I had before. Got home thoroughly disgusted, pulled out the new radio and put my original radio back in for one last comparison. Always had good reception in my driveway for some reason, so I was listening while I put the dash back together.

Now I've always had this switch under the dash on my side. Obviously not factory, but I've no clue what it is for. There's a few wires that peak out from under the console on the passenger side, then go back under the dash. And there's this small box with two antenna sticking out which is glued to the top inside of the windshield. I've even asked about it here a couple times, nobody else had a clue either. Anyway, I'm doing the limbo to get the two screws into that last piece under the dash, and I hit the switch. And the radio almost completely cuts out. What just happened? I flipped the switch a few more times, and sure enough, reception gets a LOT better when I flip it one way. Son of a....!

My guess is the previous owner also suffered from poor radio reception, said enough of this, and installed a signal booster. I don't know exactly how it works because I've never seen anything patched into the antenna line. Anyway, tomorrow I'll be driving to work with my original unlocked radio, and see if I can actually hear my stations. And I'm cancelling that appointment with the dealership, because obviously a new radio isn't going to help the problem anyway.

Seriously, if all of these radios have the same problem, how does anyone ever pick up any stations?

Reactions: Matt

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher