Radio Buzz/Engine whine

mrm143

Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
I did a search but really couldnt find a solution other than put in an aftermarket system LOL
I have an 05 envoy bose system and getting the engine whine out of the left rear speaker. Although it is intermittent, I read that it does get worse. Does anyone have a definite fix for this issue, I saw it had something to do with the rear seat console?

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I thought that engine whine through the speakers is a symptom of a bad ground. I am sure someone smarter then me will be along soon though.

pejeeper

Jan 27, 2012
bad ground behind the radio unit, somewhere between the radio out to speaker and the speaker itself

are you sure it's only from one speaker? using the balance & fader, I'd check each one (if you havent yet done this)

back in the day, when I was a car audiophile, we had to install ground loop isolators to kill the engine whine from the speakers but the car stereo technology got better and they were no longer necessary

mrm143

Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
All I know is that if I tap the center console where the rear controls are it goes away

pejeeper

Jan 27, 2012
mrm143 said:
All I know is that if I tap the center console where the rear controls are it goes away

BAM. Bad ground. Pull the rear console and chase those wires.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
mrm143 said:

This fix for this seems to be fairly well investigated and zeroed in on the OS. It appears there are some bare wires under the center console due to fraying. I will have to investigate pretty soon as it is very annoying. I am anxious to get started and dig in. This might be related to my rear mode selection knob up front not working. All the wires are right up under that console.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
As Regulator said, usually caused by a bad ground.

If jarring the console makes it come and go, would not hurt to check the center ground, just alongside the console, under the dash. You need to lift the carpet.

manuel_hero

Aug 15, 2012
I am having the same problem on my 2008 envoy. It starts to buzz whenever someone shuts the back passenger side door. IIt is very annoying. It then begins to whine as the rpms increase. Any luck with yours?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online