Radiator spring clamps

ComputernerdBD

Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
Hey everyone. Looking to get the coolant changed and thermostat replaced soon at 64k as the radiator hoses are getting discolored and want to get those replaced as they are original to the truck. I can't seem to find the OEM spring clamps for the radiator hoses anywhere. Been having problems with the worm gear clamps on my other truck and want to prevent the same on this one. Is this a dealer item? Any other items I should also consider replacing at this stage during the coolant change? Thanks

freddyboy61

Dec 4, 2011
I've seen it written that the worm gear style hose clamps put uneven pressure on and can leak, and can even deform or break the radiator mate (can't think of the proper term).

Reactions: mrrsm

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
They do make lined ones that even out that pressure and avoid the pinch point that traditional worm clamps can cause.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I switched everything over to (traditional) worm gear when I did my cooling system last year.
When I had to retighten my t-stat bolts recently (another thread), it turns out I didn't tighten the clamps on *either* the upper or lower main hoses back up enough. So maybe the band clamps are better after all - ?

(I still kinda like the worm gear, as you can tighten with either a screwdriver or a socket, vs. the band clamps being a little difficult to move (unless you have the dedicated hose clamp pliers, which I don't).

Anyway, the OP asked - 'anything else' to replace at 64K?
If you're replacing hoses at that total mileage, it's due to age / peace of mind. Hoses tend to last longer than 65K. A lot longer, IMHO. But your thinking is good for 'time', considering your '07 is now 11 calendar / MY old.

If the main hoses are OEM, and that's why you're replacing them... the heater hoses are just as old. I'd replace those as well, if you want peace of mind. And they don't cost a ton, and shouldn't be *too* hard to get to - especially on the front / forward side.

Same thing for the hose connections to the coolant recovery bottle. And check the bottle for deterioration, especially around the seams. While you have the coolant drained is the perfect time for that. If it's a pain to take out - it's worse when it's leaking, right? Check it now.

DON'T be tempted to tape over the bottom seam as a 'preventative' - it won't hold for very long, whether you're using duct / duck / Gorilla / etc. - water, vibration & changing temps will have the area leaking right past it in short order, if the seam ever splits. An epoxy *might* (?) work. But I'd leave it alone, if it looks OK.

As far as just replacing the bottle outright - a lot of the aftermarket ones don't last very long at all - so if it looks good, LITHA, and consider yourself good until the next coolant drain (which s/b in 3yrs). Cheap insurance would be to get one from a pick-n-pull and just hold onto it in case the original goes south - I've seen folks say they're getting hard to find (OEM). As for why the OEM ones last longer? Probably thicker / stiffer / more chemically resistant plastics, compared to aftermarket.

If residue / staining makes it hard to see the level mark - now's the time to clean it as well. Videos abound on YT for that. Just don't use anything *too* caustic (see above re: leaking). Alternately, go over that level mark with a 'permanent' Sharpie, and call it a day.

Some might make the argument that it would be a good time for the water pump, with all the other parts off - but I believe the one on the 4.2L is a bit difficult to remove. If so (and no symptoms of a leak), I'd leave that as-is, especially if you've had the vehicle from new, have already changed out the coolant once (which would have provided new lubricity for the WP), and know the repair history.

If your fan clutch goes south later, that's when I'd do the water pump. With a brand that had a good rep - you don't want to have to do that twice (or, at least, soon afterward).

And when you eventually do the WP, there are some additional (non-coolant) things that will be easier with it out (do a search; I don't want to name the wrong ones)

I won't even jinx you by mentioning the name of that part under the dash, but if you've got no leaks there, I'd leave that as-is, too.

As far as I know, that's pretty much the entire cooling system (unless you have the LWB, which has additional coolant, and a second one of those things I won't name under the dash, under the passenger-side rear panel.) If you're going 'there'... the rear actuator is in that area (only on EXT / XL models).

For 'non-cooling' items - in that area of the engine compartment, the drive belt(s) wouldn't be a bad idea (I have two - the big serpentine and a smaller A/C. Both have tensioners - another thing to check to see if there's any binding, etc. ) The 4.2L may only have the serpentine - not sure. Again - if you want to wait for the fan clutch, it's ok to leave the belt(s) until then.

The common thing with the belts & hoses is that they're both rubber. If you're doing the hoses b/c of that, the belts only bring further peace of mind (not that the failure rate on them is the same).

A bit long, but I tried to be thorough, since it appears you want to be as well. Hope this helps.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
@Reprise water pump can be done in 60 minutes, I think it's easier than doing the thermostat.

Reactions: Reprise

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Oh - the t-stat must be outboard on the 4.2L, then. I really should study that engine a bit more (but I'm so heavily 'invested' in the LSx engines) :wink:

OP - with that info, use your judgement- I think I've seen a few posts of OEM WPs going south in the mid-80K range on these (and GM has a bad (but well-deserved) rep on them.

At some point, the parts shotgun comes into play here; your call on 'how far' to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I use the worm gear clamps myself, only time I ever had a problem is if I forgot to tighten one. I have had the spring type rust and break on me.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
One thing is certain: Those Old School Round, Spring Steel Clamps...will never lose their "Squeeze". I used to hate them... that is, until I got THIS Locking Cable Tool ...to Tame them. All but the cheapest of these will allow you to loosen and lock clamps that are situated in even the most inaccessible areas under the hood...and allow you to move them up and down and reposition them along the hoses ...with ease. They have a great range in the Clamp Sizes they will service, too. So... Take Your Pick:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...eld-keywords=hose+clamp+tool&tag=gmtnation-20

Reactions: Redbeard and Matt
Apr 24, 2017
Boston,MA
McMaster-Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/hose-clamps/clamp-type~spring/
"Constant Tension Spring Band Clamps" ARE the OEM Springs. They have a bunch of sizes too, but I just ordered the 8 sizes that are SAE J1508 Certified. They are stamped with their mm size on the tang as the OEMs- they are black(Zinc plated Steel to help with corrosion)The sizing goes by outer diameter of hose and tube, but the actual packaging has the "mm" on it as well.
The 5/8'' is 16mm, 21/32'' is 17mm, 3/4'' is 19mm, 25/32'' is 20mm, 15/16'' is 24mm, 1-1/16'' is 27mm, 1-21/32'' is 42mm, and 1-31/32'' is 50mm. I believe GM radiators use a 42 on upper hose and 50 on bottom hose. They also sell the Lisle Spring clamp tool-which helps a lot. Did I mention that McMaster-Carr clamps are made in the USA!

Attachments

• CLAMPS-McMaster-Carr.png
    CLAMPS-McMaster-Carr.png
    109.8 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: mrrsm and Reprise

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
(on edit: I didn't realize that just a few posts earlier in this thread, I advocated for the worm gear. Oh, well... that was > 3yrs ago. I've since changed my mind!)

Another vote for the CT-style over the worm gear (I've mentioned this elsewhere on the site, as well). Especially the cheapie worm gear, which I've had loosen up on more than one occasion (both times, on cooling system components, IIRC).

I know people complain about working with the CT clamps, but a set of decent channel locks or vice grips make them easy enough to work with (and they do make dedicated pliers, if you're looking to fill up empty space in the tool box).

The only beef I have with them is when I actually get them to lock open -- it can be difficult to get them 'unlocked' (closed) again. Most of GM's CT clamps don't (easily) lock, though.

I also like that you can open them, slide them back on the hose, and they're still there on the hose when you're ready to reattach it. Anything that saves me time / effort over looking for it, dropping it, losing it, or spending an extra second thinking about which position will make (a worm gear clamp) easy to remove in the future, is preferred. They also don't have that ugly 'tail' hanging out when the clamp is tightened, like the worm gear clamp tends to have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't like them. When they do lock open, they unlock at the worse time and become a projectile or don't want to unlock when you want it to. Some become weak after removal.

When I use worm gear clamps, I usually double them up.

Reactions: JerryIrons

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher