Racks - Lets See em

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
The roof kind. What do you have, how is it mounted, things you would change, whatever. Lets see some pics and have some discussion.

I run a Yakima Load Warrior 44” x 39” x 6.5” with 18" Extention for a size of 62” x 39” x 6.5”.

Bought it used on CL like this.

basket.jpg

I did not trust the stock crossbars and repurposed some Thule Aluminum bars by drilling them and using a 3/8' bolt and washers to attach them to the roof rack. The washer slides in the stock roof rack channel and seems to provide plenty of strength. I also drilled the crossbars just outside of the stock channels and made some mounts for my hi-lift with carriage bolts, aluminum spacers and wingnuts. Works out great. I have spare that gets ratchet strapped up there sometimes, but am planning to relocate that to the rear and keep some weight off the roof, plus leave more room for camping stuffs. I also have a shovel bungeed to one side, but it will be properly mounted soon even though there have been zero issues with the current setup.

In-Use
f-1.jpg

37.jpg

36.jpg

DSC01460.jpg

2011-10-28_17-03-10_818.jpg

I think I would like it to be a bit wider, 39 could be 42 or 44 and I think it would be a bit better, but the size does allow for me to mount the hi-lift to the x-bars and may offer other mounting solutions for other items. I previously had a smaller thule basket and now realize that the extra length of the extention is great. At Tecore V we had this thing packed with all kinds of stuff and it was great. I am sure we would have had to leave some stuff at home without it.

I also did had a 1/8 inch thick rubber washer between the factrory roof bars and the x-bars to ensure there would be no slipping or sliding. Made a large difference in the sturdiness.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Found that Menard's had the Plano XXL Cargo Boxes on sale for $20 bucks. I picked up a couple and Barton did too. They will really help to organize my rack setup, much like James has with his boxes. I picked the ones I did before they went on sale due to reviews and the fact that they are Made in the USA, FedEx, Airline and UPS approved, plus have wheels and bungee strap hooks builtin!

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
Racks - Lets See em

So is this site going to be a bit looser on the family-friendly rules? :wooot:

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
The box to go with the rack...:raspberry:

box2.jpg

box.jpg

Hotness

Dec 7, 2011
I used to have that same box in my cargo area. Took up too much room. Now it just sits in my room. If u need an extra one let me know

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Hotness said:
I used to have that same box in my cargo area. Took up too much room. Now it just sits in my room. If u need an extra one let me know

I just may have a use for it. I was thinking of going to pick up another this week.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Good deal. Thanks!

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
darn i was really hoping that this was another kinda "racks":raspberry:

Ascender2004

Dec 7, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Found that Menard's had the Plano XXL Cargo Boxes on sale for $20 bucks. I picked up a couple and Barton did too. They will really help to organize my rack setup, much like James has with his boxes. I picked the ones I did before they went on sale due to reviews and the fact that they are Made in the USA, FedEx, Airline and UPS approved, plus have wheels and bungee strap hooks builtin!

Mernards? Is that a place local to you?

havie22

Dec 4, 2011
Black_tb said:

me too!lols:crazy:

Hotness

Dec 7, 2011
I've been wanting to get a rack lately myself but I don't know which ones are good. I was hoping to get some good ideas from this thread but it seems Kyle is the only one with a rack. Do you know of any other reasonably priced ones. All the ones on eBay appear to be junk (I could be wrong ). I like yours Kyle, and it's reasonably priced, but to add the extension is like an extra 120 bucks. do you think it's still a decent usable space without the 18"? Would you recommend any other ones?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I have the Surco S4550 45 x 50 x 5. I just don't have pics of it to post right now.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Hotness said:
I've been wanting to get a rack lately myself but I don't know which ones are good. I was hoping to get some good ideas from this thread but it seems Kyle is the only one with a rack. Do you know of any other reasonably priced ones. All the ones on eBay appear to be junk (I could be wrong ). I like yours Kyle, and it's reasonably priced, but to add the extension is like an extra 120 bucks. do you think it's still a decent usable space without the 18"? Would you recommend any other ones?

I dont think the ebay ones are complete junk and would do great for occasional use. I think it would be good usable space without the extention, but the extention really was handy the last rip with 2 guys for a long weekend far from home. We used all the space. You could always add an extention later if you so desired though. It makes a good option.

I have mine off and in the garage currently to work out logistics of getting everything setup for the coming year. It may be good if you figured out about what you want in the rack and then drew it up to see how things fit.

At least a couple more people have come forward, so maybe you will find more info here soon to help you out.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
Hotness said:

I run one of the DiscountRamps ebay vendor's racks. I welded 3/4" square tube to it for crossbars. I've loaded it up WAY beyond what I should in the past and it holds on like a champ. I strap ladders to it regularly as well.

[EBAY]390370709190[/EBAY]

I would go so far as to say that I use my rack more than 90% of the people with racks on here. It never leaves the top of my truck.

P1080027.jpg

Reactions: Capote

Hotness

Dec 7, 2011
I would only really use it the ~25 or less times a year that I get to go wheeling, but would keep it on the roof because I always seem to be strapping stuff up there for other people. When I am offroading I would want hilift, shovel, spare tire, box or bag with straps/recovery gear, box with trail spares, and sometimes a fuel can.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Here is a pic of my rack. I use it quite a bit.

30-albums5-157.jpg

corky

Jan 23, 2012
Portland OR
I wanted to post a pic of the rack that I use but I couldn't get my wife to take her top off. Lol
:raspberry:

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Black_tb said:

I agree, this thread had so much potential

tricguy007

Dec 7, 2011
[ATTACH=CONFIG]7621[/ATTACH]. Yup That's rite its stock

Attachments

• IMAG0178.jpg
    IMAG0178.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 39

corky

Jan 23, 2012
Portland OR
On my way to snohomish WA. this weekend and need to haul some things back. As I dindt have time to get the rack I wanted I found some scrap wood and metel and thru together this quick rack for under 10$ bucks.

Attachments

• 20120712_154012.jpg
    20120712_154012.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 53

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
uploadfromtaptalk1410320192199.jpg

Added a 32 inch led light bar ton the front.

Reactions: dmanns67

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online