Rack and Pinion leaking at one place

Steevo

Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
I realize what I am suggesting might seem funky.
I get that. Bear with me.
This is an old truck. 2003 Envoy XL, L6. 2WD.

My drivers side tie rod is leaking in the rack and pinion.
Not too bad as long as I don't turn it to lock, I suspect, and I have not had to put fluid in for a few months, and I only had to put that in once. I avoid turning it to lock.
That seems to be the only part that is leaking.
I realize I can get one for about $305. But this is an old truck, and it is reaching eol.
I am going to be parking it and using it for occasional towing until I am dead. So I don't want to spent much on it anymore.

Since I only have one leak, I am thinking of just changing that one seal.
Without taking it out of the car. Instead of spending the money to have the thing changed out, which would cost me about $800 or more. I do not see that in my future.

I don't do that work myself, I am old. Retired, so I either do it myself, pay to have it done, or don't do it at all.

I realize that if you are used to doing this work you can R&R it in 45 minutes. Not me! I read the two threads on that.

I see the $30 seal kits on Rock Auto, and I could order one of those and use that one seal. I am going to go look at one at the auto parts today. It seems like the snap ring holds the seal in, and if I can just take that off and get the seal out in the vehicle I can just put the new seal in and forget it. Reconnect the tie rod and go on with my life.
The alternative is to do nothing, which might be a fine approach.

Do you think it's possible to do this in the vehicle? Any advice other than to change the whole thing?
I haven't seen it yet, except to see where the fluid is leaking. Hard to see.

I did see a mention of Detroit Axle. $193. For $100 more I can buy locally, so that's too much trouble.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Unfortunately, not too much experience here with playing with the innards of these racks. Most just replace the whole thing. Just replacing the one seal may not fix it if there is another failed seal inside the rack.

Another option is a leak sealer. I know these are usually considered as snake oil and can actually make it worse in the long term by softening the seals but it may be worth a shot. Maybe check online reviews on different sealers. Lucas' seems to be OK.
http://www.amazon.com/Lucas-10008-Power-Steering-Stop/product-reviews/B000ARPVNO

Steevo

Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Yeah, someone must have looked into that thing. Ya know, it's not that complicated.
The rack and pinion assy is just a box with some sensors and hydraulic cylinders in it. That there is an external leak does not actually condemn it any more than the alternator brushes wearing out and falling out of the holder condemns the alternator. All you need is $6 worth of brushes to fix that.
I've done that lots of times! Simple.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Or the bearings in an alternator. I've done that too. If you do replace the seals, we would sure appreciate a quick how-to with pics. We regularly get people with leaking racks.

Dillyo82

Aug 17, 2012
My Rack is leaking out of the Driver's Tie-Rod end as well.
Tried Prestone with Leak Stop and hasn't stopped in 2 months.
I know there is a seal kit, but can't find in depth steps.
Was there any solution outside of replacing the whole Rack?
I might have to be the one to share, because I definitely don't want to spend $300.

Steevo

Original poster
Oct 7, 2012

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Ebay. I never opened it. It is in the top of the toolbox.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online