Quick water pump question...

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
I've heard mixed opinions. Should I rtv the water pump gasket or put it on dry or use Indian head or something similar. The one we used last time we put a thin layer of rtv on so I'm interested in hearing from everyone.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Last time I did a water pump (not on this platform, it was a ford), I used a thin smear of blue RTV on the gasket just to be sure. Necessary? Maybe not. But it never leaked!

Reactions: northcreek

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think I used only RTV, no gasket the last time. Been a while though and it was on the 02 after the timing chain job. Didn't leak but only had it for a year after that.

Reactions: northcreek

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Alright so rtv on the gasket it is.

Reactions: xavierny25

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I didn't RTV and it's been a couple of years, I think, no leaks.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
So basically, it probably doesn't matter!

Reactions: Redbeard

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
I used high temp red because I had it.

Locksmith

Nov 19, 2017
Columbia,SC
Back in the late 70's, my shop teacher warned "NEVER USE INDIAN GASKET SEALER! You'll be scraping the next time you try to take that crap off, till the cows come home!" Just passing it on.

Reactions: Mounce

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Back in the late 70's, my shop teacher warned "NEVER USE INDIAN GASKET SEALER! You'll be scraping the next time you try to take that crap off, till the cows come home!" Just passing it on.
It's funny, every carb base gasket I've ever done with it just lifts right off. I put that on mostly everything with a paper gasket with no issues. Quick run with a scotch pad on a grinder and you're good to go if worse comes to worse.

It sort of makes a shellac type finish.

brianlibby791

Feb 25, 2017
New Jersey
It's funny, every carb base gasket I've ever done with it just lifts right off. I put that on mostly everything with a paper gasket with no issues. Quick run with a scotch pad on a grinder and you're good to go if worse comes to worse.

It sort of makes a shellac type finish.

That s*** smells amazing too.

Reactions: sunliner

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online