Quick Transmission Question

Njg425

Original poster
Sep 6, 2016
Souther California
Hey everyone, question regarding the I6 models. The tldr version is can a 2wd transmission be swapped into a 4wd Trailblazer?

I recently rear-ended someone and the insurance company wants to claim a total loss. I have been exploring different options over the past few days trying to decide my best course of action. My mechanic said he could fix the car for much less, around $1,500, than total loss check they want to give me, about, $3,000. BUT the process required to re-register a salvage vehicle in CA seems like it could get really expensive or even end up being impossible because you have to deal with state inspectors. Option 2 is I could obviously just buy a new car with the money. However I am now thinking of a third, possibly more cost efficient, option where I buy another trailblazer and swap my newly rebuilt transmission, <3k miles, over as well as any other parts that may be an upgrade then sell the donor for scrap. Do any of you guys have experience with this?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The tldr version is can a 2wd transmission be swapped into a 4wd Trailblazer?

No unless you're converting the 4x4 truck to a 2wd. Tail shafts are totally different.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Apart from the attaching part of the tail to the transfer case, the output shaft is shorter.

carshinebob

Jun 13, 2014
Actually It would work if you didn't mind converting a 4x4 into 2wd. Then it's just change the trans and driveshaft and pull the fuse for the 4wd. ~BOB

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Isn't that what I said? :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher