questions, questions, questions

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Alright guys so about two weeks ago I posted about our truck not starting after a light issue. It turned out to be the throttle body plate would completely close and wouldn't open back up. I pulled it out of the truck cleaned front and back reinstalled it no more issues. Then it started acting up again to the point where you can't pop the throttle plate loose by pushing on it. So after that lil issue and my wife gettin stuck in the parking lot of her school at night (next to a bar) we had no more issues... Until this last Monday we moved my cousin up to flagstaff for his new job, we had our trailer (1550lbs empty maybe 2200lbs with his stuff in it) we ran between 2800-3400rpm heading up there. Now on the way back we just left flagstaff and the check engine light comes on she didn't drive any different at first. With the trailer empty (1550lbs) down hill for the most part and just to maintain a speed of 65-70mph we ran 4500 rpm I dropped the speed to 60 and ran about 3200 rpm. He got back into town and I stopped at AutoZone and pulled the codes (can't remember what they are and I don't have the print outs with me) there was two codes for the o2 sensor, throttle plate binding, throttle positioning sensor, fan clutch, and fan clutch relay. A total of 6 codes. Since then there has been no issues with the drivability and every thing seems to be fine. Any ideas on what could cause this? Oh by the way replacing the o2 sensor will make it the 3rd or 4th one in 6 months.:confused:

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
cmatb08 said:
Alright guys so about two weeks ago I posted about our truck not starting after a light issue. It turned out to be the throttle body plate would completely close and wouldn't open back up. I pulled it out of the truck cleaned front and back reinstalled it no more issues. Then it started acting up again to the point where you can't pop the throttle plate loose by pushing on it. So after that lil issue and my wife gettin stuck in the parking lot of her school at night (next to a bar) we had no more issues... Until this last Monday we moved my cousin up to flagstaff for his new job, we had our trailer (1550lbs empty maybe 2200lbs with his stuff in it) we ran between 2800-3400rpm heading up there. Now on the way back we just left flagstaff and the check engine light comes on she didn't drive any different at first. With the trailer empty (1550lbs) down hill for the most part and just to maintain a speed of 65-70mph we ran 4500 rpm I dropped the speed to 60 and ran about 3200 rpm. He got back into town and I stopped at AutoZone and pulled the codes (can't remember what they are and I don't have the print outs with me) there was two codes for the o2 sensor, throttle plate binding, throttle positioning sensor, fan clutch, and fan clutch relay. A total of 6 codes. Since then there has been no issues with the drivability and every thing seems to be fine. Any ideas on what could cause this? Oh by the way replacing the o2 sensor will make it the 3rd or 4th one in 6 months.:confused:

First, what brand of O2 sensor you been using?

Second, we really need the codes... sry...

Third, without the codes just going by what you listed, sounds like a reference problem...

Fourth, 4500RPM? Really?

Fifth, comes after fourth and before sixth, tee hee... :rotfl:

Don't worry, we will figure this out...

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
McGMT said:
First, what brand of O2 sensor you been using?

Second, we really need the codes... sry...

Third, without the codes just going by what you listed, sounds like a reference problem...

Fourth, 4500RPM? Really?

Fifth, comes after fourth and before sixth, tee hee... :rotfl:

Don't worry, we will figure this out...

Bosch but debating on go to the dealership and getting both o2 sensors. Ya that gas bill was not fun even empty I don't think it should have been that high! I'll try and get the codes sent to. Me and ill get them posted.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Forget the dealer, but get Delco sensors. Depending on the code, Bosch sensors don't meet the tight GM spec for the heater circuit current. They work fine otherwise, except for that. But setting a code is bad.

Please get the exact codes. Otherwise it's like taking your dog to the vet, but he can't tell the doc where it hurts. Somebody gets poked up the butt and you spend more money than necessary.

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
I can't find the print out from autozone. I took it into the dealership friday my mechanic we use took it out and pulled a total of 8 codes off the computer. We replaced the throttle body (280 with no tax, instead of 350 plus tax). After installing the new throttle body the truck is no longer sluggish it accelerates smooth no hesitation. We still need the motor mounts at 80 for each mount and 150 to install them. Which isn't bad when you think the actually puttin the truck through the shop would have been around 900 bucks. So we are saving a lot of money with all the parts through the dealership and having a gm tech doing it under the table!

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Can you please tell us what your codes were so we can use them for future reference.... Please

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Ya I found the print outs from AutoZone like 20 minutes after I posted the reply/update

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
P1516 - throttle actuator position
P2101 - throttle position sensor
P0495 - cooling fan circuit error (this code came up twice)
P0171 - fuel trim bank one
P0122 - throttle position sensor

These are the codes that came up.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
cmatb08 said:
P1516 - throttle actuator position
P2101 - throttle position sensor
P0495 - cooling fan circuit error (this code came up twice)
P0171 - fuel trim bank one
P0122 - throttle position sensor

These are the codes that came up.

Looks like a reference problem... just like my post said.... The throttle and fan clutch are on the same reference circuit.

If it comes back, fan clutch.... Good luck

Reactions: Kurb

cmatb08

Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
McGMT said:
Looks like a reference problem... just like my post said.... The throttle and fan clutch are on the same reference circuit.

If it comes back, fan clutch.... Good luck

So far since we replaced the throttle body we haven't had any issues. The one thing that happened that I wasn't to happy to hear about was they flashed, updated, and reset the computer so my tune was wiped out.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
cmatb08 said:
So far since we replaced the throttle body we haven't had any issues. The one thing that happened that I wasn't to happy to hear about was they flashed, updated, and reset the computer so my tune was wiped out.

That is why you don't involve a stealership

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
:iagree:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online