Questions about Suspension Replacement

Semborski

Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
I have an 05 LS SWB.
Gotta replace a couple things in the suspension so I was gonna do the majority of it which would include:
upper and lower balljoints
outter tie rod ends
sway bar links and bushings

I was looking to get ACDelco advantage which was a decent price on rock auto. Any negatives? looking to keep mostly OEM.

Also is there any reason to get control arm assemblies instead of just the balljoints? I'm assuming it is the more popular choice if the bushings are bad?

Here is what I am looking at:
xHb9R6g.png

Also I got a clicking noise when fully extended in a left turn. Thats the CV right? Which side would it be? Or could that be either?
What is a good source for new axle?

Thanks for any help!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I'd get the entire lower control arms if the bushings are bad, OR the bushing where the tapered pin holds the lower strut mount yoke on. Or you don't have the tools or experience to press out ball joints.

Cardone (new, not reman) CV shafts work fine for me and many non-offroaders. Hard to tell which side is bad without testing it on a lift.

Also, make sure on the passenger side that you don't have play at the inner end of the CV shaft, which would be proof you need to rebuild your splined disconnect.

Also check the inner tie rod ends for play.

You didn't share the mileage, but I gotta ask if ALL fluids are fresh at 100K and the transfer case every 50K?

Reactions: Semborski

Semborski

Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
The_Roadie said:
I'd get the entire lower control arms if the bushings are bad, OR the bushing where the tapered pin holds the lower strut mount yoke on. Or you don't have the tools or experience to press out ball joints.

Cardone (new, not reman) CV shafts work fine for me and many non-offroaders. Hard to tell which side is bad without testing it on a lift.

Also, make sure on the passenger side that you don't have play at the inner end of the CV shaft, which would be proof you need to rebuild your splined disconnect.

Also check the inner tie rod ends for play.

You didn't share the mileage, but I gotta ask if ALL fluids are fresh at 100K and the transfer case every 50K?
How can I check inner tie rods for play? Also I do have access to a lift, but how would I test the shafts on the lift?
Would I be better going with the ACDelco parts than like moog or other brands?

My milage is 129,000 and I got it at 125,000 and changed the transfer case fluid right when I got it home from reading on here before I bought it. Transmission has already been warranty replaced twice (LOL) so that fluid is definitely good and so are the differentials. Haven't done coolant, brake, or ps fluid.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online

No members online now.