Question

burg99

Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
Ok this is going to sound wierd but i finally found out why my abs light is on and why i have no awd. I took my 03bravada to the shop and the guy told me the gears on the front diff. Are worn and the speed sensor is not reading hence no abs or awd. He said this is not a replacable part but a rebuildable part. Any idea of what he is talking about and maybe pictures. It is going to cost 700.00 bucks to rebuild and install. Was wondering if it would be cheaper to get a used differential and have him use the parts he needs. I know this is wierd but any help would be great. Thanks

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
If I assume that the Bravada is the same build as the Trailvoys, then the $700 would be mostly removing the front differential since you have to drop the oil pan and get around the ac lines and the steering rack. It's just a mess.

I ask the dealer how much they would charge for just replacing a oil seal where the front drive shaft enters the differential from the transfer case and they quoted ~$1000 just to drop it out and put the same differential back in.

I'll take a look at the service book and check the front differential diagrams out. I know there is a speed sensor in the transfer case but not sure about the front differential.

Update: Just checked service books, there isn't any sensors on the front differential so he must be talking about the bearings or clutches in the transfer case. Let us know if it sounds right.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
seanpooh said:
Update: Just checked service books, there isn't any sensors on the front differential so he must be talking about the bearings or clutches in the transfer case. Let us know if it sounds right.
There are speed sensors mounted at the input and output shafts of the transfer case. The ABS has wheel speed sensors mounted at each wheel.
As Sean said, no speed sensors at the front diff.

May be time for a 2nd opinion.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online