Question re: Removal of side glass windows

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I'm driving out tomorrow to get some parts from an '04 Envoy XL being parted out (cheap, almost free! LOL)

Here's my question:

I know the window is supposed to be lowered in the track in order to be able to pull it out (I know about removing door panel, moisture barrier, loosen 10mm bolts connecting window to regulator, remove weatherstrip, etc.) No sweat.

However - if the vehicle I'm removing it from has no 12v power available - is there a way to manually lower the regulator enough in order to get the glass out?

I'm fine with pushing down on the glass, but I have the feeling it's going to take a bit more than that to get the regulator / glass to go down w/o breaking it.
Was thinking of rigging a couple of 9v batteries in series and applying power to the motor (yes, I know, that would be 18v...just need to apply for a few seconds, and since the truck is going to the crusher...who cares?) I'd rather not run anything from my Voy's battery to the 'donor' vehicle, if I can avoid it.

And to answer the inevitable question - I don't have a broken window. However, at some point, there was a broken window, and it was replaced with CCC (for lack of a better word). Since I can get the window for spare change, figured I'd put an OEM window back in - if nothing else, it may help w/ wind noise.

Leaving at 10am CT tomorrow; if you reply after that, I'll check my phone for any last minute advice :wink: Thanks!

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Have any 12v (or close) cordless tools? If so take a battery and some jumper wires and tap the wires to the regulator. One polarity will go up and the other down. Have seen this done on a friend's Sierra when his switch went out lol.

Reactions: Reprise

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Appreciate the quick reply. Sorry to say, my Ryobis are 18v. I do, however, have one of those lantern batteries (the big suckers), and they're 6v.

I could get a second one, wire them parallel, and connect that to the regulator.

Thanks for the help!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
18v would work. The window will go down quick though. And with that kind of power draw, the volts will probably drop. A lot of guys in u-pull yards use those batteries to power stuff to check them since they aren't allowed to bring in a car battery. Heck, I sneak in my lithium booster pack and can crank the engine if I want.

Drec

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
Whatever you do, watch your fingers while operating the electric window. You might be able to drop the regulator and glass down in the bottom of the door and then release the glass and pull it up and out.

Watch your hands as well.

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Good point - I'll have my gloves with me. If I can drop the regulator by hand before loosening the glass from it, that would work.

Removing the regulator is opposite - glass has to be 'up', and regulator is removed from the door cavity. Which, writing that, just gave me an 'eureka' moment - I'll bring my rubber doorstops and wedge them between the window & door. Like when I had to replace the regulator in one of my old Exploders.

Thanks, all!

Drec

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
I haven't pulled a glass out of one of these yet, but have done lots of others. You should be able to drop the regulator with the glass still on it and manipulate to get it out of the guides, unless there is limited access holes in the lower part of the door. If there is limited access, then try your wedges to hold the glass up, you will probably need to turn the glass to get it out of the door cavity. You'll need to make that accessment while you are taking it out. There might be some guide brackets that should come out to allow you an easier removal. After you get it out you'll know exactly what you need to do next time. It's safety glass so I would worry about breaking it. If you are, you might take out the other side first. Then you'll know what to do for the glass that you want.

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
As it turned out, I decided to postpone this until next weekend, as I didn't want to be working in 45mph wind + 30F temps. So we'll give this a try in a week.

@Drec - nice idea about pulling out a 'test' window, first :thumbsup::thankyou:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.