question about wheels and tires size

K3vin0615

Original poster
Aug 13, 2019
Boston
hi

just bought a set wheels on sizes 17 x 8.5 with +25 offset.
im looking at getting the biggest tires i can without any type of lift.
i have HD bilsteins shocks front and rear with new upper and lower arms up front so other than that suspension is stock but suspension is not old and saggy.
im no planning on lifting truck anytime soon.

with that in mind. with those wheels sizes and offsets whats the biggest tire size i can fit?
and what is the biggest tire size i can fit if it were to add a 1.5" spacers on the car.

and yes ive read every tire thread but everyone asked about lifted TBs or dont mention specific wheel offsets.
and im not new to the TB chassis.
i was very active back in trailvoy times.

thanks in advance.

Reactions: gmthero and Pygot

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
So those are gonna be about the equivalent of having a 1 inch thick spacer.

You are gonna be able to likely clear a 31ish or so diameter since the tire wont be right under the ball joint, but width will come into play as way when you go bigger?

Some say a 1.5 spacer will let you got to a 265-70-17 or 265-75-16, so you should be in that ballpark tops, but every truck is different.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Some say a 1.5 spacer will let you got to a 265-70-17

This is the combo I have, ran it briefly before adding a 2" lift to the front. Coming down over large speed bumps, or curbed driveways, caused the front tires to rub the top of the fender liner. Only had a couple of inches of clearance under there, as you can see from the pic. Previously, I had a set of 265/65/17, and was fine in all the same situations, also without the spacers. :twocents:

20180921_164231.jpg

cbad760

Jul 26, 2019
California
The wider width wheel reduces the effect of the offset relative to the hub. Compared to the 7"x50mm offset on the factory wheels, the inner rim of an 8.5"x25mm offset wheel only stands maybe 6mm further out. It's the outer face of the wheel and the tread that gets poked outward. The wheel will move the inner corner of the tread away from the control arm

Attachments

• 8.5x25.JPG
    8.5x25.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 6

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
this is my favorite calculator for figuring out these things

Reactions: Pygot

K3vin0615

Original poster
Aug 13, 2019
Boston
This is the combo I have, ran it briefly before adding a 2" lift to the front. Coming down over large speed bumps, or curbed driveways, caused the front tires to rub the top of the fender liner. Only had a couple of inches of clearance under there, as you can see from the pic. Previously, I had a set of 265/65/17, and was fine in all the same situations, also without the spacers. :twocents:

View attachment 90459

i know is very late reply but im deciding to go with 265/65r17 tires. my truck is just like yours, same color and all.

thanks for your help
im looking at nitto ridgeline grappler
very aggresive thread

Reactions: Blckshdw

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Those are one of the all-terrains I really like. Nitto are usually expensive and heavy so I have not tried em, but curious to see how you like them.

K3vin0615

Original poster
Aug 13, 2019
Boston
just to update this thread. i ended up going with 245/70r17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W
im very happy with the tires. they handle great and quiet. tried them out on a recently on 4" of snow and didnt even have to use the 4x4.
they replaced a set of 255/65/17 general grapplers AT2 and while i thought those tires were great.
these are so much better.
i found them on sale on Walmart for 107 per tire while everyone else had them at 167.
highly recommend them!

Reactions: wstuckey1

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online