Question about tie rods (inner and outer) and ball joints

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
I noticed that the passenger side tie rod and both lower ball joints have a slight amount of play in them on my '03 Envoy. Since I have to drop the spindle to replace the lower ball joints, I've decided to just go ahead and replace everything once the weather gets warm. The slight amount of play is only on the RH outer tie rod, but I'll install new inner parts while I'm there.

Two questions:
- Does the '03 XL 4WD (SLE) have 16mm or 14mm threads? As far as I know, everything is completely stock.
- What brand(s) should I go with? Moog, ACDelco, Raybestos, Duralast, ...??

I honestly do not want to spend a ton of money on top-name-brands, but I also do not want cheap, Chinese/ebay parts that I have to worry about. Unless, someone has used the parts they've purchased through ebay and have had zero issues...??
There are a few kits on ebay that seem to be an amazing deal. Then again, I've always thought that you get what you pay for:
5 Year Warr 02 Envoy Trailblazer Ball Joint Inner Tie Rod Sway Bar Links 12 PC | eBay

All in one day, the plan is to replace both inner and outer tie rods, then the upper and lower ball joints. If one side gives me any issues and it takes much longer than expected, then I'll do one side per-day.

I'll be following these procedures:

http://gmtnation.com/f77/replacing-lower-ball-joints-5284/

Offroadtb.com Tie Rod Replacement (Inner and Outer)

Thoughts? Advice? ...Someone with all of these parts already, and they will sell to me to save the headache :biggrin: :biggrin:

Frankd1

Jun 18, 2013
I just replaced the outer tierod ends on my 03 and they were 16mm. I used moog, happy so far! I ordered mine from rock auto. I don't think you can go wrong with moog or ac delco....

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
A good way to check thread size is to take an open ended wrench to it. A 15mm will fit over a 14, not a 16.

Many used moog bjs because of the zerk fitting. Tie rods too. I may go oem because they have lasted this long, 130k miles this week.

I know some offroaders use cheapo tie rods because they break them before they actually wear out.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I used Deeza tie rods and end links, but went with Moog ball joints all around. It all depends on what you want to spend. I have no issues with the parts I used and would use them again. Of course I would also swap to 2500 tie rods for extra adjustment.

Best advice I can give is make sure you have a sledge, a short 3-4lbs will make a world of difference. Used it to get the tie rod end out of the steering knuckle, just a couple taps and it came out. Lower BJ's were a PITMFA, upper were cake as I just removed the entire assembly and put it in my jawhorse which made it much easier to do. Not a requirement though. If you have a friend 1 day should be no problem, took me about 18 hours over 3 days alone, but I also installed the lift and some other stuff.

Amazon seems to be cheaper than Rockauto for a lot of stuff once you factor in shipping from different warehouses. Even better if you have prime, you could always sign up for the 30 day trial.

dla442

Mar 31, 2012
grand rapids, mi
i replaced all ball joints and ties rods and used Moog. Dont trust the crap Duralast when doing this job unless u like to repeat your work. Delco would be sufficient i think. Have fun with the balls joints, you will need a heavy duty joint press with adapters to fit to press them out, and a nice long pipe for leverage! I rented a set from advance auto that had a lot of adapters, fittings. The lower was a peach given there is not but room for the collar on the joint press to grab onto the control arm area. I had looked at the duralst tie rod compared to the moog and the boot sucks on the duralst!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Playsinsnow said:
I know some offroaders use cheapo tie rods because they break them before they actually wear out.
I tend to use Deezas from Rockauto to keep them under $20-25, and I DO break them about as fast as I wear them out, which is yearly at this point. But I would NEVER, EVER buy Cheap Chinese Crud to save even $10 on a suspension part.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
the roadie said:
I would NEVER, EVER buy Cheap Chinese Crud to save even $10 on a suspension part.

Of course! :thumbsup::

$25 Deeza online is cheaper than a moog at a "local" parts store. Or any other brand usually. At 130k miles I have to question why I wouldn't replace with oem when the time comes.

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
A friend of mine has a Ball Joint Press Kit and an Inner Tie Rod Kit that he's going to loan to me.

I have a 4lb mini sledge, plenty of 3/8" and 1/2" ratchets & socket sets, breaker bars, air impact gun, acetylene and propane torches (if I need to heat anything up), and most other tools already. I just need the parts and a warm, dry day.

I'll start ordering either ACDelco or Moog parts now. Thank you for all of the help!!! :thumbsup:

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Just crunched some numbers with ACDelco parts, and RockAuto wins. I looked at amazon, ebay, & rockauto. All combined parts come to $274.00 shipped. That's upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods. I could have saved a few bux by ordering ACDelco stuff through ebay, but I read a few different feedback profiles and a lot of complaints were cheap parts mailed in place of the better brand names.

I just have to verify that my threads are 16mm, and I'll place the order.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Sounds good, did you also look for a 5% coupon.

I seen that if you order parts from the same manufacturer they tend to ship from the same warehouse. I had Moog, Delco, Deeza and another company so 4 warehouses.

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
Sounds good, did you also look for a 5% coupon.

Not yet. I'll look into that when I'm placing my order. Any idea who I ask or where I look to find it?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evenson1

Members Online