Question about the 4x4 switch

WeaponX

Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Pittston, PA
I was just wondering if having both of these lights on is normal? I can’t tell you if it’s always been like this and didn’t notice or if it’s something new. Thanks for the help 604E5768-BE08-4469-9F52-F0D46AB3DC09.jpeg

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I would say no, not normal. Normally just one of the position lights are on unless it is actively making a change from one mode to another. In that case the destination mode will be flashing until the switching at the transfer case is complete. If the shift fails I think the light goes back to the previous position??

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
If you're good at opening small plastic electronics and have the time, next time you're into the dashboard, cleaning the switch may be worth doing. Granted it is only one of a great many things that could be causing abnormal behaviours of the 4WD system.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I seem to remember you switching out bulbs to LEDs in and around your dash, is it possible that maybe you got some solder on there and may have bridged on to the other. I'd open up the switch and have a look.

Reactions: WeaponX

WeaponX

Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Pittston, PA
I seem to remember you switching out bulbs to LEDs in and around your dash, is it possible that maybe you got some solder on there and may have bridged on to the other. I'd open up the switch and have a look.
Yes I did I change them all over to blue and you’re right maybe I did get some cider on there so I’m gonna pop it out check it out see if something is connected and I also have another 4 x 4 switch I’m gonna plug it in to see if that one does the same thing if there is no solder connection. Thank you

Reactions: xavierny25

WeaponX

Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Pittston, PA

You now thinking about it I wonder if I’ve been driving this hole time in 4 wheel drive and that would not be good 😞

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You would have known of you did, crow hopping at every turn.

What does the light do when you change it to different positions? Do you hear the encoder motor and disconnect work as they should? If all's good except for that one light that stays on, is have to agree that it's likely a short.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeaponX

WeaponX

Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Pittston, PA
You would have known of you did, crow hopping at every turn.

What does the light do when you change it to different positions? Do you hear the encoder motor and disconnect work as they should? If all's good except for that one light that stays on, is have to agree that it's likely a short.
Well it hasn’t crow hoped at all and I did go threw all the settings and the light stays on no matter what setting I have it on but I did not take notice of the 4 wheel was activating I wasn’t listening for it so I’ll do that today and see what happens. Thanks for the advice 😃

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online