Question about rear window regulator assembly

linneje

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
My left rear assembly is shot. When I look on RockAuto, I find some assemblies listed for 7 passenger, some for 5. But most postings do not make a distinction. Does it matter? Can someone who has done this job help? I have a 7 passenger Envoy XL and do not want to end up with the wrong assembly.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The rear doors are different, with the LWB being larger, so it would make sense that the 2 models use different window regulators. I haven't looked at them when I've had the panels off in my EXT, so I'm not 100% sure.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
:iagree: The doors on both are different. Get the XL version.

linneje

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Thanks for the advice. Part ordered. My next question is .... the window is up and the motor just grinds when activated. That is fine, since I don't have the new part yet. But how do I get the window to go down without the motor to remove the broken regulator assembly? Can I force it down somehow so that I can then free the window from the bracket on the assmebly? It did not seem to want to go down easily but maybe I am not pushing hard enough?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Mine did the same on a front door. It didn't make a difference. I was able to take it out. IIRC, the new one is in the up/closed position as well.

linneje

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Okay, thanks. The Youtube video was showing it down halfway for installation. There is less room to get at the bolts to loosen the regulator brackets from the glass in the closed position, but I think that I can still get at them.

linneje

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Finished the job when the new assembly came. Easier than I thought. I had access to free the glass from the damaged regulator (there is just enough access at the top to get the nuts off the brackets that hold the glass). Then the regulator tipped and came right out. I saw that the top wheel on the assembly was broken into pieces (old and brittle). No wonder it was jammed.

The new one came with the brackets down near the bottom, so it was easy to slide the glass down and secure it. I am afraid that I will end up doing the other doors soon .....

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Finished the job when the new assembly came. Easier than I thought.

I am afraid that I will end up doing the other doors soon .....

At least now you know what you're in for, and exactly how to do it! :thumbsup:

Reactions: linneje

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online