Question about fluids.

04Trailblazer

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
I will be changing my transfer case fluid this Saturday, and I see that i need to use Auto track ll for the transfer case, Do you know where i would be able to pick some up, I know we have a dealer close to me the specializes in GM cars and trucks. , I will have to give them a call tomorrow to see if they will sell me some. Also I will be changing the rear diff fluid I plan on using Valvoline 75w90 full synthetic. Any suggestion or tips would be great! thanks, Alec

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
You have researched well. Only dealers (and a few mail order places) sell the transfer case fluid. And 75-90 synthetic is right for the diffs, although many of us use Mobil 1. Biggest tips are to make sure you can remove the FILL plugs before touching the DRAIN plugs, and use a small hand pump you can get at Harbor Freight or the parts stores to make the fluid transfer easier.

04Trailblazer

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
the roadie said:
You have researched well. Only dealers (and a few mail order places) sell the transfer case fluid. And 75-90 synthetic is right for the diffs, although many of us use Mobil 1. Biggest tips are to make sure you can remove the FILL plugs before touching the DRAIN plugs, and use a small hand pump you can get at Harbor Freight or the parts stores to make the fluid transfer easier.

Well if im not able to get some Transfer case fluid this week i will do it next weekend, and maybe be nice to myself and only do rear diff fluid change and fuel filter change this weekend haha. Thanks for some of those tips! Thanks! :thumbsup:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
You have a 2004, so I doubt you have a drain plug in the rear diff.

You'll have to remove the diff cover to drain it. The good news is the cover gasket is reusable and you need to remove the cover anyway, to clean and check the magnet for metal debris.

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
Valvoline Synpower 75w-90 is in my rear differential and my sister's 9-7X differential. Works fine - no chatter from the G80 in either of them. I used right about three quarts in mine.

For the rear diff, I simply put some vinyl tubing over the the end of the bottle and dumped it in the diff. There's a decent amount of room there for that.

The transfer case area offers a bit less room. I didn't have a pump, so I attached a 5ft piece of tube to the end of a funnel with a hose clamp. I had my lovely wife hold the funnel on the side of the vehicle and add the fluid while I put the tube into the T-case. This method works, but it does leave a small bit of fluid remaining in the tube. Gravity is your friend here, so make sure your assistant is holding the funnel higher than the transfer case. You'll need a 3/8" hex bit to remove the transfer case drain and fill bolts. Virtually any GM dealer will have Auto-Trak II. Should be around $10 a quart, give or take a buck or two.

dingle

May 26, 2012
When I changed my transfer case fluid I went to autozone and bought a hand pump for $12 and it worked awesome. Looks like a grease gun without the pump handle. It only held a pint so I had to crawl out from under the truck 4 times but still had it done in under 30 minutes. Just my experience.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online