Question about Dielectric grease on transmission and Transfer case connections

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Hi. I hope this is the correct forum for this as I am only referring to the electrical connectors on the transmission and transfer case. Should I use dielectric grease on these connections? It seems like the place that it should be used, but I didn't see any on the connections when I removed them originally.

I've googled this and there are differing opinions from different sources and so as usual I end up here. Where the guys who know these vehicles inside and out are. Thank You in advance!

Sorry, afterthought.... For the grease I have both the spray on kind which goes on kind of thin and the kind that's similar in consistency to petroleum jelly.

Other than to protect the connections from corrosion, I'm still unclear as to why it's ok to to use it if it's not conductive as I would think in that case it would prevent or interfere with a good connection, but I don't need to get into all of that. I just need to know if it's a good idea to use it in this situation or not.

I live in the Northeast where the road salt and weather have rotted out the trans cooler and PS lines, rusted the frame rails and front suspension parts etc. I have replaced almost the entire front end (A-Arms, Tie Rods, sway bar bushings, ball joints, struts, and installed steel braided trans cooler lines etc...) I am still concerned with the lines that go to the steering rack but I will cross that bridge if and when I come to it. I plan on keeping this vehicle so any and all rust prevention that I can do I am trying to do. Hopefully that VHT Epoxy paint does what it says it will do. Thanks and sorry for such a wordy post!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's always a good idea, especially to help in removal later. Anything to prevent water ingress is a good thing. Also helps prevent the seals from drying out.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I use dielectric grease on every connector I take apart, inside or outside of the vehicle. I've never had any issues with using it on anything. I'd put a little dab on the rubber seal as well.

Reactions: jmonica

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
It's always a good idea, especially to help in removal later. Anything to prevent water ingress is a good thing. Also helps prevent the seals from drying out.
OK that answers that. I am doing it. I am going to disco any that I have reconnected already and do those as well. Thank You Mr. Mooseman. You've been helping me out for about 5 years now always with sound and accurate advice and I appreciate it. I think I owe you a few beers man!!! Do you live near NJ? Thanks again!

Reactions: Mooseman

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
I use dielectric grease on every connector I take apart, inside or outside of the vehicle. I've never had any issues with using it on anything. I'd put a little dab on the rubber seal as well.
OK that solves that question in my head. I am unhooking all of the under vehicle connectors and DG'ing them up! :smile: Thanks as always Maverick!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Do you live near NJ? Thanks again!

I'm about 615km (382 miles) away. I sometimes drive down to NYC or Long Island. We can certainly share some beers if I ever come down that way! :Lager Louts:

Always good to see success stories and it is the "raison d'être" of this forum. With the other work you're doing on this trucks, it will come out better than new.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
OK that solves that question in my head. I am unhooking all of the under vehicle connectors and DG'ing them up! :smile: Thanks as always Maverick!
Actually, the grease itself is somewhat of a "good thing" in two ways.... its prime purpose is to prevent oxidization from impacting the contacting surfaces thus ultimately resulting in a good connection. However, IF the connection is not good to begin with (to be explained), then the grease may likely cause a poor to no connection... which can be good as you now know that the connection is the "source" of a problem... maybe. DG is basically non-conductive hence, if it remains between two contact points, there will be no electrical connection. However, where the grease is normally used, the mechanical "effort" (eg. two connector pins, knife blades, etc) used to make the connection in essence forces the grease "aside" so to speak such that only a "good" / "clean" connection remain. However, if such connector and pins are not functioning correctly, and the mating surfaces are not "aligned" then it is quite likely to "highlght" this problem and it can be addressed accordingly such as checking pin alignment, "bending fingers", etc.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.