Question about CV axle angle

flyboy2610

Original poster
Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
I recently installed new struts built with MOOG 81114 springs and a BDS 2" strut mount replacement lift. I put these on to replace some aftermarket struts onto which I had installed a Readylift 2" top hat style leveling kit.
With the ReadyLift installed, my front end ground-to-fender heights were:
Right front: 35-1/16”
Left front: 35-1/8”

After installing the MOOG/BDS struts they were:
Right front: 37-3/8"
Left front: 37-1/2"

Just for reference, the factory numbers were:
Right front: 32-3/4”
Left front: 32-7/8”

1" of this height is due to a larger tire diameter. 2" larger tires = 1" more in ride height.
So factor out the tires and Snowball is 4" higher in ride height than factory. Knowing that CV axles do not take well to being operated at extreme angles, I'm wondering if that BDS lift needs to come off? Here are some pics of the current CV axle angles:
Drivers side:
Driver side CV angle.JPG

Passenger side:
Passenger CV angle.JPG

I also don't want to over-stress the axle disconnect. I do intend to install a Badlands Apex 12000 lb winch and mounting plate, and those two will add about 100 pounds to the front end. Already have both of them, can't return 'em, gonna use 'em.
So I guess my question comes down to this: Do you guys think that the CV angles are too high, or do you think they're OK as they are? The MOOG 81114 springs are the ones MOOG recommends for an '04 TB EXT, so that's why I bought those. They do have an extended length about 1" longer than the 81110's, but the installed length and and spring rating (375 lbs./inch) are the same. I don't know what the rating on the springs on the previous struts were. I no longer have the original struts.
If the CV angles are OK, I'm fine with leaving it as is, but I don't want to break anything, either.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I cant help you.. However I wanted to say thank you.. You made me realize the issue with my Envoy XUV ride.. I replaced the struts with a quick strut type application. Which is for a short wheel base, and not a long wheel base, leaving out the fact that its even heavier because of the XUV factor.

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
My knee-jerk reaction is that the CV angle looks high. The key concern would be what happens at max travel. As an experiment, get the front end off the ground by lifting at the frame and then spinning the tire to see if there is any binding, clicking, etc.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That BDS lift, is it an add-on to the strut mount between it and the shock tower? I may be wrong but I believe that this type of lifts are considered "death lifts" as they have a high failure rate. The only lift that is "approved" is the spring spacer type lift. So your decision may be an easy one.

And yeah, that angle looks too high and those joints won't be happy in the long run.

flyboy2610

Original poster
Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
No, the BDS lift replaces the top strut mount. The ReadyLift was an add-on type.That's why I replaced it.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online