Question about cpas and sensor.

Vonhendon

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Do you have to disconnect the battery when changing these out and should you use OEM parts? Also is these the right parts, Pic's
2012-07-14120831.jpg

2012-07-14121047.jpg

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Always disconnect negative battery cable before doing any work on electrical components. It makes sure nothing gets shorted out and also resets the PCM

I would degrease your engine first before replacing any parts. You don't want any sand or crap getting in.

Irishboy02

Apr 1, 2012
I second that. Clean what you can before you start messing with electronics. Also, definitely disconnect your batt. You dont need to take the + and - off, just the - will suffice. It takes a minute and can save you huge headaches, makes sure of not having a short. Electrical gremlins are a PITA (trust me)

Phantom

Jun 17, 2012
Also while your under the hood cleaning and have the batt disconnected, might be a good time to clean the throttle body. Don't know when or if it's been cleaned last.

Vonhendon

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Phantom said:
Also while your under the hood cleaning and have the batt disconnected, might be a good time to clean the throttle body. Don't know when or if it's been cleaned last.
I cleaned the TB about 2 months ago,but was going to do it again. What Engine degreaser is a good one?

Phantom

Jun 17, 2012
Vonhendon said:
I cleaned the TB about 2 months ago,but was going to do it again. What Engine degreaser is a good one?

There are a couple of posts on here about engine detailing and what they use. hope that helps.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
The first pic is the cam position sensor. The AC Delco one is under $30.00 and that's what I used when I replaced mine.
The second pic is the CPAS. I would use the AC Delco one.

I would not disconnect the battery for the replacement of either of those parts.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
MAY03LT said:
I would not disconnect the battery for the replacement of either of those parts.

You don't need too or you shouldn't? What you said didn't clearly explain your position.

Irishboy02

Apr 1, 2012
Vonhendon said:

Personally, iv always used enginebright on the motor. Then on plastics i use WD-40

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Since the OP has a 2002, the less often he disconnects the battery, the less of a chance he'll have a problem with the HVAC mode doors. :twocents:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
Since the OP has a 2002, the less often he disconnects the battery, the less of a chance he'll have a problem with the HVAC mode doors. :twocents:

I guess thats one way of looking at it. You could also say that since the OP has a 2002 he going to have an greater chance of things going wrong anyway.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
CaptainXL said:
I guess thats one way of looking at it. You could also say that since the OP has a 2002 he going to have an greater chance of things going wrong anyway.

That's true.

It's just that the parts he's changing are on the opposite side of the engine from the battery. So there's no chance of shorting to ground. It seems like tempting fate to disconnect the battery.

I would, however, leave the key out of the ignition. Just to make sure no one turns it on, even to listen to the radio.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.