Question about blend door actuators

{tpc}

Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
So the wife's envoy is making a clicking sound in the back every time she starts the car. Goes away after about 30 seconds maybe less. I think it's recently started doing it twice.

I want to say it's the blend door actuators. Are these easy to get to back there? Can I just unplug them so they stop making noise?. Other than the noise issue, we are concerned about them at all.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
In the back? Do you have an Envoy XL with the separate rear HVAC system then?

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
It depends on your usage as to whether it matters or not. In my case, no cool air in the summer was possible without replacing the offending actuator, and I have 5 kids in the back, so repair had to be done.

If you do not carry rear passengers, it may not matter. As for access, it is a little work but easier than doing one of the front ones. You have to remove the back passenger panel and then you have easy access to the actuators. It does take a couple minutes to remove the panel.

Last edited:

{tpc}

Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
Yes she has a envoy xl. If we go anywhere where air back there would be an issue, we use my truck. She just can't stand the clicking noise.

When you say passenger panel, what exactly would you mean?

Do the seats have to be removed for access or just folded up?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
You'll have to lay the 3rd row seats down, the components are on the passenger side behind the lower panel. Remove any visible screws, the perimeter of the panel is held into the body by clips. The upper C and D pillar panels overlap the lower one slightly. Here's an old diagram Roadie used to post, for reference.

rearactuators-orig_zps3f87adac.jpg

{tpc}

Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
Thank you for the info! Just to clarify, is the reference pic for the area in question or rather the location of actuators up front?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
That is a diagram of the rear HVAC system that you'll be dealing with. Part numbers are convenient, in case you decide you want to replace the faulty one.

You can possibly get away with popping the lower sections of the C and D pillar panels off, the handful of times I've needed to get back there, I removed the seat belt anchor bolts (T-50 torx bit)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online