Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
My neighbor wants to sell me

2 10" kickers in the box
1 1800 watt amp
1 1200 watt amp

for $300.00

Good deal or no?

I know absolutely NOTHING about systems...I do plan on getting an aftermarket stereo too.

Thanks in advance!

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
What Are the amp brands the subs with the box are worth about $120-$150 ebay dollars. AMP brand is a HUGE factor in that package

EDIT: Also the sub line will change the price im just assuming its the COMP c10s

YOUNG

Dec 4, 2011
have them hook the subs up and see if theyre blown or not. if the sub itsself rattles at all its about to blow..

and if the box has a port in it (hole for air to pass through) smell the port and see if you can smell anything that smells like burnt electrical, if you do smell it then they've abused the subs.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I do know that the system has NEVER been in a vehicle, but it was in their boat for about 2 months. They sold the boat and don't need the system. He paid $1800.00 new for the setup

The system has less than 24hrs use on it, their in their 40's and 50's and didn't care much for the BOOM BOOM it gave, but he bought it to put in a truck his daughter never bought :lipsrsealed:

Would I need to change anything with the ALT?

Hubby has a 12" kicker and a really good brand amp the amp alone was $900.00 we would put that in the truck too O.o maybe lol

And yes Comp c10's Not sure of the brand of amps though I will ask.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
3000 Watts is pretty hefty, probably will need a BIG 3 upgrade which is a upgrade of some main power carrying wires under the hood.
Once again though It Depends on the AMPS if they are cheapos then you might not need to upgrade to the extreme but if they are kicker amps at that level of watts your going to beef up your wiring unless you want your headlights to act as strobes lol if those are kicker amps and with 1000watts they should be pretty decent subs as well might be a good buy.

Saw your edit I have to rethink this lol

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:
3000 Watts is pretty hefty, probably will need a BIG 3 upgrade which is a upgrade of some main power carrying wires under the hood.
Oce again though It Depends on the AMPS if they are cheapos then you might not need to upgrade to the extreme but if they are kicker amps at that level of watts your going to beef up your wiring unless you want your headlights to act as strobes lol if those are kicker amps and with 1000watts they should be pretty decent subs as well might be a good buy.

From what hubby says we may not need both amps? But I dont want to make a decision without feedback and hubby isn't home lol

Okay so one amp is a boss or bose amp and the other is a sony amp(They think) lol the system is in storage right now will be getting them out by this weekend to put them in the truck and try them out.
both are 4 channel

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
1000watts through 2 C10s rated at 150rms each :confused: They have to be 1000watt MAX
Gotta find out those amp brands! I also see may03 stalking this thread and im waiting to here his take
Im still on the mission to quote the price haha
If you keep editing late we are gonna have an issue ok I got you now hold on
READ
BOSS is not a CEA certified amp, which means when they say 1000rms you get 400-700rms *BRIDGED* which explains the huge difference between the sub and amp power initially.

With that set up on subs only NO you will not need a new alt just some 4 gauge from your battery.

Using 4 channels means they utilize 2 "bridged" channels which is essentially combing the power of the amp down to two channels powering the 2 subs which also means its not a true "sub amp" but that's not as big of a deal.

You could pick it up and use one of them for your doors and get a whole system refurbish, that just got really confusing but to conclude yes it sits around the $300 quote

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Boss and Sony. I would say the 1800/1200 is Peak, which by either brand means rms can be between 150-500 watts, per amp. Try and get model numbers if you can, that helps alot as well. Kicker makes decent subs, for the Voy they would give a nice kick.

I am more partial to some lesser known brands :biggrin:

Good job you scared MAY03LT away.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:
1000watts through 2 C10s rated at 150rms each :confused: They have to be 1000watt MAX
Gotta find out those amp brands! I also see may03 stalking this thread and im waiting to here his take
Im still on the mission to quote the price haha
If you keep editing late we are gonna have an issue ok I got you now hold on

They do know that one is a Sony but not sure of the actual model whether it's the xplode or whatnot. And how he said the name of the other one it sounded like boss, but he said he paid close to $250.00 new for each amp and the boss amps are anywhere from $80.00 to $100.00 new non ebay cash so I'm thinking its Bose and not boss lol

He has to make quite a drive to his storage to grab them and due to work we won't be able to see them until this weekend. He said an audio place assessed the entire system at $800.00 but he has no written proof of it so that's pretty much nonsense to me until I know for sure from people who know what they are talking about lol I don't want to get ripped off and I would be the type to buy a $100.00 system for $800.00 out of stupidity because I really don't know anything about systems and radios and the works. Hubby only gets a 10min break at work so not enough time to fill him in or get his opinion. I would like a system of my own so hubby can keep his 12" kicker and Rockwood or whatever amp for his own vehicle.

Yes he did mention one amp is to power the speakers in the doors...which reminds me that my drivers side speaker is blown lol and the other amp is for the subs. I do think that the other amp is a bose and not a boss.

Edit- It is bose he said it's the same brand as the upgraded radio in my truck and I have the bose upgrade.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Bose? Weird

The Kickers are the best part of that package they are very good beginner subs

AUDIO STORES ARE OUT OF THEIR MINDS I would say $300 is generous, that set just doesn't hold that kind of value, audio stores also add $50+ to all products pretty sure that's why alot of guys go straight to SonicElectronix.com and do it themselves.

This thread is a jumbled mess are you still drunk off corona :rotfl:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:
Bose? Weird

The Kickers are the best part of that package they are very good beginner subs

AUDIO STORES ARE OUT OF THEIR MINDS I would say $300 is generous, that set just doesn't hold that kind of value, audio stores also add $50+ to all products pretty sure that's why alot of guys go straight to SonicElectronix.com and do it themselves.

With that being said, should I opt to just buy the subs and box and buy a different amp? We plan on doing an aftermarket stereo and possibly different door speakers than what is currently in the voy(stock bose upgrade) or should the entire setup be okay? And adding tweets...forgot to mention that lol

I don't want to get raped lol but I want a system that is going to sound really good going down the road. I'm not looking to blast my windows out of the doors at sound shows lol but I do want to have something that sounds pretty good. I can't afford the best of the best right now and really don't want to overdo it on anything as I still owe on the truck lol

Corona? Don't know what your talking about :biggrin:

And everything is jumbled because i'm lost and the sellers are just as lost as I am on this entire topic. Put it this way, I can barely set the time on my clock in the truck or program favorite radio channels lol

so, what would you do?

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Voymom said:
With that being said, should I opt to just buy the subs and box and buy a different amp? We plan on doing an aftermarket stereo and possibly different door speakers than what is currently in the voy(stock bose upgrade) or should the entire setup be okay? And adding tweets...forgot to mention that lol

I don't want to get raped lol but I want a system that is going to sound really good going down the road. I'm not looking to blast my windows out of the doors at sound shows lol but I do want to have something that sounds pretty good. I can't afford the best of the best right now and really don't want to overdo it on anything as I still owe on the truck lol

so, what would you do?

I WOULD, try to pull a deal on the SUBS and go with RE AUDIO amps a great middle of the road amp, I don't see you as an extreme bumper, listening to Justin Beiber with those kids and all.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/m538-re-audio-car-audio.html?SearchClickout[query_id]=8009443&SearchClickout[Ignore]=1
Hifonics also a sweet amp for a non hardcore audio junkie lol

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:
I WOULD, try to pull a deal on the SUBS and go with RE AUDIO amps CEA certified and a great middle of the road amp, I don't see you as an extreme bumper, listening to Justin Beiber with those kids and all.

:eek::eek::eek:

You don't know me my friend!! In fact my 8yr old can out rap everyone in his school and his fav musicians are lil wayne and 50 cent :raspberry:

As far as extreme bumping....I do have 6 kids :biggrin:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Well To summarize, BOSS is OK ... SONY idk NO GO with me. There are literally 1000s of options for an audio set up I usually set up my cheap friends so I know alot of the stand out budget build nonsense so when the time comes hopefully we can get you set up. But there is better out there than BOSS and SONY just got to look for em!

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:
Well To summarize, BOSS is OK ... SONY idk NO GO with me. There are literally 1000s of options for an audio set up I usually set up my cheap friends so I know alot of the stand out budget build nonsense so when the time comes hopefully we can get you set up. But there is better out there than BOSS and SONY just got to look for em!

Honestly, the voy is mainly our bus for family outings and carrying everyone where we need to go. It is MY vehicle and I really wouldn't be bumping much when the kids are in the car which is why we would do a toggle switch for the amp. I would rather save money on a semi decent setup and let my hubby have all the fun spending the real money on a system for his car...when he decides to actually buy a car lol

As of now the truck is a DD for both of us, and I would rather him have all the "good" stuff. He is into it more than I am, but I would like something decent to annoy the old people on the weekends when I am kid free lol

They are firm on the $300.00 as both of them just lost their jobs and need the money, which would be okay with me as long as I'm not way off base in price.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
My last setup used a Autotek Mean Machine. 2 channel amp running at 2 Ohms. Gave me a whopping 250 watts per sub, Ascendant Audio Atlas 15"s. 142 db on a TL, in my old S10 blazer.

I would say they the shop estimate was maybe retail. Remember with the Boss amp they probably bought it from a store, so markup over internet is usually around 25-50%. I do not recall Bose making car amplifiers other than OEM ones, but I could be wrong.

Honestly I would offer them $200 for the setup, and be straight forward. If he doesnt budge tell them ok let me know when you want to sell for that price. It does sound mean, but given the fact that it was on a boat and water does terrible damage to electronics, even salt residue is horrific. They are not very reputable brands other than the subs. They might be able to sell them on craigslist though, thats my thoughts. Or do like I have been doing lately, buy the subs and offer assistance in selling the rest, scored some sweet deals like this. Pay what I want for something and let someone else pick up the rest of that tab.

Just read your last post Voymom.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:
I mean this is more bump than there set up $229.99
MTX TNP212D2 Dual 12" Amplified Terminator Loaded Sub System
I mean that's just one of many
Kicker 10C128 12" Comp Subs + Autotek ATX1000.2 Amp + Kit + Sub Box
600W Loaded Enclosure w/PRIME Subs + PRIME R250-1 Amp + Amp Kit
It goes on too

Those are all alot better brands, just showing you options so you dot kick yourself later]
Those are much more reputable brands and some of those AMPs are certified so thats the real deal.

Well I don't have to buy the amps, and even if I did I could turn around and sell them on Craigslist to help pay for what I was out? He won't sell the subs and amps separate because I already asked. He said the subs and the box alone are worth the $300.00

Or I could buy it and use the amps until I can get my hands on a decently priced better certified amp?
So basically he is selling the subs and box and you get 2 crappy amps for free lol

I liked the deal as he was originally asking $500.00 and when I overheard him talking about selling them I mentioned I didn't want to spend anymore than $300.00 on a total setup for the Envoy. I'm not working right now, and the $$$ would be coming out of my pocket so hubby can save for his own vehicle. And as far as salt hurting them...I'm in Iowa lol we don't have salt water here. As far as the water getting to them, it would be doubtful....it was a HUGE boat, and in Iowa you only get to use the boat in the summer which I know he only went out maybe 5-6 times for fishing. I know trying to have a budget of $300.00 or less is very hard for a system which is why I initially wasn't going to put one in lol Hell my aftermarket radio won't even be over $120.00 as it's from wally world! I'm a cheap ass lmao but with the size family I have, I sometimes have to make do with what I can get.

I will ask hubby about it too, as far as those links the first one wasn't to bad and in my price range. I haven't seen the other links yet. Good prices on all of those lol Hubby has th rockford fosgate amp for his 12" kicker sub. And that was in his minivan hehe!

Juicy K

Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
I would think if you just want some "easy" bump, go ahead. 2 Summers ago I installed a c10 kicker and an old Pioneer 2ch 200w amp my Father had in his Z71, it didnt do too bad, talked him into buying a bigger "sub" amp. Not bad now. I am not sure about the extended wheel base, but I know my shorty reacts well to even a little bit of sub action.
Since I'm poor right now and my JL 1000/1 was stollen, I am running a Hifonics 4ch to power my W7 so I may be getting 140-200w. Does not do too bad.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Voymom said:
Honestly, the voy is mainly our bus for family outings and carrying everyone where we need to go. It is MY vehicle and I really wouldn't be bumping much when the kids are in the car which is why we would do a toggle switch for the amp. I would rather save money on a semi decent setup and let my hubby have all the fun spending the real money on a system for his car...when he decides to actually buy a car lol

As of now the truck is a DD for both of us, and I would rather him have all the "good" stuff. He is into it more than I am, but I would like something decent to annoy the old people on the weekends when I am kid free lol

They are firm on the $300.00 as both of them just lost their jobs and need the money, which would be okay with me as long as I'm not way off base in price.

Tossing my :twocents: into the ring... I know what you mean here, I feel the same way when I've got passengers and don't want to blow them out. You wouldn't have to go that route of manually turning on/off your amp, just adjust the bass on your radio down some, and turn the gain on your amp up. Remember, the amp is just amplifying the signal you send to it. So when the volume is lower, there's not much bass to boost. When you turn it up louder cuz you're by yourself and your favorite jam is on, then the people riding in the next lane over will hear a lil somethin too :wink:

On my Pioneer HU, I have the bass turned all the way down, and the gain on my 200W Alpine amp right about center. When listening volume is low enough to have a conversation with someone in the passenger seat, the bass sounds fairly stock through the pair of RF 12"s I have in a sealed box. Turn it up to the point where I can hear the mids/highs over wind noise with the windows down at 40mph and they thump nicely. At "party on wheels" volume... Well you can imagine. :wootwoot:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Or instead of always adjusting the bass on the stereo/gains on the amp, just run a bass knob... I can go from zero bass, to full out thump, with a turn of a dial...

Here's a pic of my bass knob...
2011-03-09132012.jpg

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Here's the thing the subs are used and are not worth what hes quoting you can take your $300 budget get 2C10s boxed with free shipping on ebay every single day for $170MAX they usually go in buyitnow for $150 so honestly nothing about the deal is good his quote is from an audio shop and like said before there prices are not even close to realistic. Buying brand new kickers on eBay you will still fit in $150 for amp budget which is plenty to bump 2 c10s. Just sayin mom

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Voymom said:
Hubby has th rockford fosgate amp for his 12" kicker sub.

He has good taste.:yes:

Blckshdw said:
When you turn it up louder cuz you're by yourself and your favorite jam is on, then the people riding in the next neighborhood over will hear a lil somethin too

That's what I'm talking about:cool:

Like my colleagues said, I can't say if it's a good deal or not without knowing the model numbers of the equipment. And my money is also on BOSS because I've never seen a bose amp that wasn't OEM integrated (i.e. not having individual p/g/r and rca ins, etc) either.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
the roadie said:
Intentions noted with disapproval.
finger.gif

:raspberry:

Eh, they can always adjust the volume on their hearing aids :biggrin: :raspberry:

STLtrailbSS said:
Here's the thing the subs are used and are not worth what hes quoting you can take your $300 budget get 2C10s boxed with free shipping on ebay every single day for $170MAX they usually go in buyitnow for $150 so honestly nothing about the deal is good his quote is from an audio shop and like said before there prices are not even close to realistic. Buying brand new kickers on eBay you will still fit in $150 for amp budget which is plenty to bump 2 c10s. Just sayin mom

I completely understand what your saying, and I get the point lol I think we will do our research on ebay and those links you gave me last night and see if they will come down to "normal" price. Hubby says that the subs in the links you gave me are lower line for kicker? and the Amps are also low line? He is like all of you, Bigger is better! lol I don't care either way as long as it's not going to make me eat macaroni and cheese for a week trying to afford it :biggrin:

MAY03LT said:
He has good taste.:yes:

That's what I'm talking about:cool:

Like my colleagues said, I can't say if it's a good deal or not without knowing the model numbers of the equipment. And my money is also on BOSS because I've never seen a bose amp that wasn't OEM integrated (i.e. not having individual p/g/r and rca ins, etc) either.

Apparently so lol, he knows a bit about audio systems which is a nice asset to have when audio shopping. I would like something that would force the old people to turn their hearing aids down, and hubby wan't something that will bump their dentures out of their mouths :eek:

And yes it is a BOSS amp, I verified that this morning when I spoke to them about it. I will get model numbers this weekend off the amps and we can go from there. We won't make a decision until we try the subs out to make sure they aren't blown.

pejeeper

Jan 27, 2012
I ran a single 10" Alpine Type R in a non ported box driven by a 1000w mono Bazooka amp. Run off my Alpine head unit, it was more sound than I ever needed. Couldn't imagine 2 10"ers with 3000w in that space and still have ear drums. Took it back to stock when I had a kid.

MMIN

Feb 26, 2012
I would say $300 for that setup is too much. Best buy runs those subs buy one get one super cheap..Assuming a basic pre-fab box may be worth $30 used. Boss amp new is $60 - 100. Used is a throw away item. Sony might not be too bad depending on model and age. Regardless you don't want to hook up 2 mismatched amps to those subs. And the fact that all of that non-marine grade equipment was used on a boat and exposed to water and salt for any amount of time is not good. You can find some killer used stuff on craigslist for $300, or some great entry level packages at a local shop that they can also warranty if you have a problem. You would be paying close to or possibly over retail for used so-so equipment. Hell I could almost throw together an entry level JL package for that..

And just a quick amp lesson that 9 out of 10 times won't screw you over. It is not always dead on, but it's a quick and easy way to get an idea of what your dealing with if your not familiar with the amp. Never shop an amp by MAX watts and always look at the fuses on the side of the amp to get an idea of its real power potential. Unfortunately not all amps have built-in fuses.

Take the boss amp shown here as being 1800 watts: Boss CE1800M 1800W Chaos EpicSeries Monoblock Power Car Amplifier

Look at the 4th pic in showing the side and you see 2 yellow 20amp fuses. Quick math 40amps x your car running approx 14volts = 560watts. That amp can't possibly produce more than that. Unfortunately 560 watts would be at 100% efficiency which is impossible due to heat and other losses in the circuits.. So lets assume a boss amp is 80% efficient which is still pushing it a little... 560 x 80% = 448 watts at best.

Hope it helps at the end of the day if you like it and it sound good to you then $300 could be very worth it. Personally I wouldn't offer anything over $150ish, but even closer to $200 would still be a decent deal if the equipment is in good shape. At $300 I would wait until something better came along.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
pejeeper said:
I ran a single 10" Alpine Type R in a non ported box driven by a 1000w mono Bazooka amp. Run off my Alpine head unit, it was more sound than I ever needed. Couldn't imagine 2 10"ers with 3000w in that space and still have ear drums. Took it back to stock when I had a kid.

A Type R and a kicker C10 are two very different animals lol Im crippled on one type R i have been in cars with C10-12s they are not touching that type R lol

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:
A Type R and a kicker C10 are two very different animals lol Im crippled on one type R i have been in cars with C10-12s they are not touching that type R lol

Hubby thinks that the amps are 4 ohm so the 1800watt amp would only realistically be running at 900watts if i'm saying it right lol
Both amps will NOT power the subs. If I kept both amps one would be for the door speakers the other for the subs, but I only need 1 amp as I have my OEM BOSE amp from my bose upgrade to power what's in the doors anyways and use only one amp whether it's the sony or the boss for the subs.

From talking to my neighbor more about it today, he assured me that the system was never near water. He purchased the system with last years tax returns when everything was frozen, and turned around and sold the boat in May of last year. The system has since been sitting in storage. He doesn't want or need the system and just wants to sell it. But hubby and I are not sold on it just yet. He works nights 3 days a week and we don't see much of each other until his 4 days off...so we really have not discussed it fully. If my surgeon clears me for work next month I would have a little more play money for a system....so we'll see.

hitman

Jan 25, 2012
Boricua SS said:
Or instead of always adjusting the bass on the stereo/gains on the amp, just run a bass knob... I can go from zero bass, to full out thump, with a turn of a dial...

Here's a pic of my bass knob...
2011-03-09132012.jpg

I Mounted mine in the console hidden but still easy to access when I go from bump to floyd, want to do some shopping I recommend onlinecarstero I have bought and will continue to buy from them

sevendj

Dec 9, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:
Once again though It Depends on the AMPS if they are cheapos then you might not need to upgrade to the extreme but if they are kicker amps at that level of watts your going to beef up your wiring unless you want your headlights to act as strobes lol if those are kicker amps and with 1000watts they should be pretty decent subs as well might be a good buy.

Saw your edit I have to rethink this lol

I peak well over 120 dB with my kicker amp that puts out 250w. Yes that's right. 250 WATTS!!!!! THAT'S IT - and I STILL need to amp my door speakers to match the intensity of the sub. Furthermore, this setup is pushing the alternator since I did not do the big 3 exchange. 3000w is going to easily need some intense modifications, possibly a cap, big 3 and better alternator...

Personally, I don't understand why anyone would want to listen to anything over 120 dB. At that rate, you suffer hearing loss within 1 minute. I even have earplugs available for my passengers...

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
120 Db ???

I think most people snore at that rate, not to sound like an ass but the stock speakers are easily capable of that. Keep in mind every 3db at sea level is effectively 2 times the previous pressure level. As far as why would any one want tp ru n higher than that, competition. With my old setup at 142 db I placed 3rd in regional IASCA comp. That was with 2 15" Ascendant Audio Atlas's with 500 watts going to each in a 10 ^3 ft enclosure ported to 28 hz. That was 500 watts measured using a DMM.

Voymom I would do some online shopping, like stated you can easily get a nice setup with a good amp for that price.

sevendj

Dec 9, 2011
Oh I hear ya, the only reason why = competition.

Peaking at 120 is not complicated. Sounding good at 120 is another story, which I would argue the stock speakers are completely incapable of doing, even at 60 dB.

My concern is anyone actually listening to anything that loud while doing daily driving... As an audiologist, I thank you for providing my profession with continued job security but I strongly urge caution with daily driving situations!

For someone who is not in competition, an incredible amount of money (including the hearing aids that you will be purchasing in 20 years) can be saved by having a setup more similar to mine. Hell, my setup is actually turning 14 years old this year - well technically I just replaced the 14 year old solobaric, but I absolutely love the amp - for my desires, 250 amp is all that's necessary. Far too often people get crazy and then never actually compete.

Speaking of which, I've been curious to find out - are competitions evaluating your intensity using an unfiltered dB SPL meter? That my guess. As for my claim of hitting >120, that's using a dBC scale, which is a filtered measurement based on how the human ear operates at high sound pressure levels. I've never cared to compete, but am very interested in how the actual data is collected...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online