NEED HELP Quad highs controlled by shifter.

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
Alright guys, I have the quad high headlight mod done. Instead of using a diode, I opted to use a toggle switch mounted in the 4wd switch "plug" since mine is just 2wd. Due to an accident when I was younger that messed up my back, I have to lean to the right and can't drive with both hands which is why I opted for this type of install rather than just using the factory selector switch as having to switch hands to dim or brighten headlights is literally a pain. Now for my ?. I was wondering if there was anyway that I could install a shifter from a tb that had traction control into mine(that does not) and use the tc button on the side to control the lights. Is this doable as in can I get to the switch to do the wiring? Is this the right type of switch for this(I.e. push on/push off) or is this just a momentary switch that "shorts" to the computer to tell it to turn the tc on and off. If so, would I be able to change it out for a on/off type push button(not momentary)? I am kinda not diggin the toggle in my dash anymore and was wanting a cleaner looking install. Sorry for all the ?, just wanting to find out.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I think it's a momentary switch. You could maybe make a latching system to have it work though.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It is a momentary switch so a circuit to control the lights will be required.

But, for all intents and purposes of the quad mod, I don`t see why you didn't just go with the diode. I've had this since forever on my TB, never a problem.

Reactions: Blckshdw

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
The reason that I don't want to use the diode is because of the above mentioned incident where I cannot drive with both hands. I have to lean on the console and usually have my hand resting on the shifter. In order to adjust the brightness with the factory stalk, I have to lean over, grab the wheel with my right hand and adjust the stalk with my left. This results in a delay of being able to dim my lights which results in me excessively blinding of the on coming driver. For this reason, I used to just drive with my dims and not have to worry about it, but since moving to the area I live in now, there are many deer along these back country roads so that presents a safety concern. The way I have it rigged up now is fine as I just have to reach up with a finger and flip my toggle switch, but like I said, I'm not really into the look of the toggle and would like to go to a more factory looking switch(like the one for traction control in some shifters). Of course all this depends on (a) being able to rig that button to my needs, and (b) that I actually be able to retrofit a shifter that has the button(some light research shows that these came in 06 and up,I'm sure someone can clarify) into my 03. The only real problem that I would think of is the shifter unlock button, but I would think they were all pretty much he same.thanks for the input guys, I will see if I can come up with something to make this work

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Latching relay should do what you need.

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
OK cool I was thinking something along those lines but didn't know what type of button was used. Thanks for the input. Imma see if I can find a shifter from the local u pull it and I'll let you know how it goes

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I just swapped shifters like you're wanting to do, not long ago. It's plug and play, you'll probably want to cut off the connector that's on there and either use some crimp connectors or something instead. :twocents:

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
Eh I'll just solder it. I'd rather not have the wires that run directly to my bcm short out lol. Now I just have to locate a shifter and also figure out how to make that button work. Somebody suggested a latching relay, but it appears that you have to have two switches. One to engage and one to disengage. I was hoping I could just use the one. You didn't happen to notice how hard it would be to get to the button did you? I may end up just replacing it with a push on push off if I can get one in there and make it fit.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I saw one one Amazon that had a small PCB on it that used a single momentary button to toggle it on and off.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Disassembling the gear shifter is gonna be way more work than it's worth. An alternative would be to get a small latching button, drill a small hole in the center console, just below the release latch for the lid, and connect your wires there. This way your can still lean like you're accustomed to, just have to slide your arm back some to push the button. :cool:

images

Reactions: djthumper

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
Yeah I was thinking about that too. Imma see how much I can get the shifter for and go ahead and try. If its not more than $20-$30 anyway. Then if I mess it up or it won't work then I can always go with what you said. And thanks sparky. That kinda looks like what i(think) I need. I'll go ahead and order it and try that too. I'll let y'all know what I come up with. May take a couple weeks to come in.
Edit: kinda off topic, but do you guys have any recommendations for an aftermarket shifter handle? One that is wide like that but maybe a little different. Probably gonna make a new center console and the stock ones that I've seen just wouldn't fit the look

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
No good recommendations for an aftermarket handle. For the longest time, I looked for some too, but couldn't find any. I wanted one with the traction control button for a potential mod idea. Of course, I was at a U Pull yard for something else, and not thinking about it, that I stumbled across one in a smashed up Voy with a filthy interior. Can't recal how much they charged me for it, but it wasn't very much. Just remember to keep your eyes peeled when you're at a yard, and to check other GM trucks and such, you may get lucky.

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
As an alternative to not hack factory wiring just for quads.. Why not install light bar for extra lighting? It would provide tons more light than just quads, and you could mount switch somewhere on center console...0308162343~2.jpg received_10154113226484877.jpeg

It's somewhat hard to tell in pics, but the light bar is lot brighter than my quad w/fogs even..
160829_003447_COLLAGE-1.jpg

redline customs

Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
I'm not really into the look of light bars. Maybe if I was going for an offroad look I would but not on this. I'm not even really hacking any factory wiring. I depinned the 2 wires on the bcm(pain in the ass) and just repinned them with all the wires in there. And since I'm wanting to change out my shifter and use that, then I can always put the shifter I have now in and pull the wires. You'd never even know it was there. But yours does look good, so maybe after a long walk on the beach and some should searching, I may well go with that.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online