Quad Beam Headlights W/ or W/O Fog lights (Diode Edition)

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Okay so there is already a write up for this, but most of the pictures are gone for it. So I will do one and include my own pictures.

Quad Beam Headlights W/ or W/O Fog Lights (Diode Edition)

This article will walk you through the steps to install a diode (Quad w/o fog lights) or 2 diodes (Quad w/ Fog Lights). This mod will retain all factory functions except when switching to high beams, your lows or lows and fogs will stay on. As opposed to the lows and fogs shutting off when switching to highs.
This mod is highly recommended if using Hid bulbs in your low beams, as they will not shut off when going to highs, so you will not have a "warm-up" period when going back to lows.

Time Required:
15-20 minutes from start to finish

Cost:

Free to less than $5 depending on where you find the diodes,wire and heat shrink tubing

Parts Required:

3 amp diode - 1 or 2 depending on if you want fog lights on also
Random lengths of wire (I used 6" strips of red and black)

Tools Required:
Soldering Iron
Solder
Wire Cutters/Strippers
Heat Shrink Tubing
Lighter, or other heat source to shrink tubing

Lets Gather Up Our Supplies
Supply Setup.jpg

Step One:
For quads w/o fogs, you will use 1 diode.
For quads w/fogs you will use 2 diodes. Twist the 2 ends of the diodes that have the silver stripe on them together.
Quad with Fog Diode Bare.jpg

Step Two:
For quads w/o fogs:
Solder one length of wire to the silver stripe end of diode (I used red wire), Then solder another length of wire to the other end of the diode (I used black). When done it should look like this:
quad soldered.jpg

For quads w/fogs:
Solder one length of wire to the twisted end of the diodes (I used red wire), Then solder another length of wire to the other end of each diodes (I used black wire). When done it should look like this:
Quad with Fog Diode Soldered.jpg

Step Three:
For quads w/o fogs:
I used 2 different sizes of heat shrink tubing, first was on the wires up to the diodes, then the other was to go over the diode. When done should look similar to this:
Quad Diode Heat Shrinked.jpg

For quads w/fogs:
I did basically the same thing as w/o fogs, but i also used another size of heat shrink to go over the 2 diodes together, just makes it look cleaner IMO. Once done, should look similar to this:
Quad with Fog Diode Heat Shrinked.jpg

Just a Picture of both quads w/o and w/fogs soldered up and heat shrinked:
Quad, and Quad with Fog Diodes.jpg

Step Four:
Time for Installation!

Will be installed at the front fuse box (Underhood).

For either setup, you will want to strip the ends of the wires, as we will be wrapping the ends of the wires around the relay pins.

For quads w/o fogs:

Remove relays #43, and #46.
Wrap the wire on the end of the diode with the stripe on it (red wire in my diagrams and pictures) around pin #85 on the high beam relay (#43).
Wrap the wire on the other end of the diode (black wire in my diagrams and pictures) around pin #5 on the low beam relay (#46)
Install relays as shown in diagram below:
Trailblazer Quad High Beam.jpg
Installed picture of diode:
Trailblazer Quad Installed.jpg

For Quads w/fogs:
Remove relays #39, #43, & #46.
Wrap the end of the diodes with the stripe on it (red wire in my diagrams and pictures) around pin #85 of the high beam relay (#43)
Wrap one of the wires on the other ends of the diodes (black wires in my diagrams and pictures) around pin #5 of the low beam relay (#46), and the other wire around pin #85 of the fog light relay (#39)
Install relays as shown in diagram below:
Trailblazer Quad High Beam With Fogs.jpg
Installed picture of diodes:
Trailblazer Quad with Fogs Installed.jpg

Step five:
Turn on your headlights, then switch to high beams and make sure that your low beam or low beam and fog lights are on with high beams.

Step Six:
Enjoy your new quad headlights, either w/ or w/o fog lights!
2016-01-23.jpg

Also Avaliable for sale!!
For those of you who don't feel comfortable soldering, or just don't feel like soldering. I am selling some pre-soldered kits, that are available in the market place HERE

Last edited:

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
FANTASTIC write up! Question though, will the fog lights still operate on their factory switch?
Thank you! Yes they will still operate on their factory switch just as factory intended, as long as the high beams are not on. When you switch to high beams, you will not be able to turn the lows or fogs off individually.

Reactions: fishcreek

RTTBLT1

Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
I finally bought the Diode Kit and got it installed today. Everything works great and to my expectations, the Install/Set-up was super easy. If anyone lives or travels outside the inner-city this kit will better your chances at not hitting a Deer or other animals...or if you just want to trick out your truck. And if you don't like working on Electronics/Electrical, he has these priced very reasonable. I would definitely buy again if ever needed. Thanks Matt 1455486582624.jpg

Aug 25, 2016
northwest arkansas
I did the quads(no fogs) but instead of a diode, I just used a toggle switch mounted in the little "plug" where the 4wd switch is(mines just 2wd). The way I did it is with wiring to the bcm. That was the first writeup I found(may have been from trailvoy) so I went with it. Soooo much better lighting.

Reactions: Njg425

Njg425

Sep 6, 2016
Souther California
Since the momentary high beam switch (pulling the lever toward you) automatically turns on all four lights is there a way to use that to change how pushing the bar away from you functions?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Since the momentary high beam switch (pulling the lever toward you) automatically turns on all four lights is there a way to use that to change how pushing the bar away from you functions?

Change the push function to what?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yes sir. That's exactly what this thread walks you through doing. It just gives you the option to have high and low beams (quad beam) or high, low AND fog when you push the stalk forward (6 hi)

Just a matter of using 1 diode, or 2. :thumbsup:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
i messaged you,
i tried this and i did not work, i followed the directions, anything i can try?
Thanks man!
How did you message him? You just replied to a post that is a year and a half old.

lawdog200

Mar 4, 2018
Kentucky
I have tried this also and it did not work. One thing I have noticed and want an opinion on is, the diagram for relay #43 shows pin 85 as being on the bottom left side, my relay orintaion has pin 85 on the top right. Wonder which is correct and I'm assuming I can't just rotate my relay 180 degrees.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I have tried this also and it did not work. One thing I have noticed and want an opinion on is, the diagram for relay #43 shows pin 85 as being on the bottom left side, my relay orintaion has pin 85 on the top right. Wonder which is correct and I'm assuming I can't just rotate my relay 180 degrees.

The relay will work in either orientation. The top right and lower left pins are on either side of the coil, it doesn't care which direction the current passes through, either way it will activate. When it does, it closes the circuit between the top left and lower right pins.

When you say it didn't work, can you be a bit more specific? Did the functionality not change, or did you lose functionality of the low or high beams? That info will help advise where to troubleshoot.

lawdog200

Mar 4, 2018
Kentucky
I did high, low and driving lights and none worked. After looking at the diagram on the fuse panel I noticed the red wire went to bottom left and not top right like mine is. So all should have to do is turn the relay were pin 85 is on the bottom left?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I did high, low and driving lights and none worked. After looking at the diagram on the fuse panel I noticed the red wire went to bottom left and not top right like mine is. So all should have to do is turn the relay were pin 85 is on the bottom left?

It's not necessarily about the pin assignment on the relay, but the signal coming out of the fuse block that triggers the relay. Leave the relay as it is, but move your diode connection to the bottom left pin, and then try it. I believe by having yours on the top right, the voltage drop from the coil isn't allowing enough power to go through the diode and enter the other circuit. You could confirm there's voltage present with a meter, to be sure.

Reactions: xavierny25

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Great write up.

If I wanted to do this but wanted the functionality to turn this feature on or off all I would have to do is put a switch on the wire(s). I could runt that wire into the cab too and mount the switch on the dash.

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
Great write up.

If I wanted to do this but wanted the functionality to turn this feature on or off all I would have to do is put a switch on the wire(s). I could runt that wire into the cab too and mount the switch on the dash.
I like that idea

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It is possible to do the same thing at the BCM under the rear seat so that would make it easier to run the wire. I used that on my 02 TB. Got the info from the old site.

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Wow, I haven't been getting notifications I guess, sorry everyone! Will try to check back here more often.

i clicked his name, then clicked start conversation
Sorry man, I haven't gotten notifications. Just flip the relay 180° so pin 85 matches the spot shown on the diagram

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: Midnyteryder196

Saddlehorse

Dec 24, 2018
Tn
Old thread I know , but are these the right diodes? Literally tons of different 3amp diodes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181224-182205_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181224-182205_Chrome.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 30

l008com

Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I have two questions:

First off, I'm looking at 3-amp diodes and they come in a wide range of voltages. Does it matter which I get, do I need something specific? I'm seeing 50v up through 400v.
Edit: And I just discovered that every radio shack within an hour of me has closed up shop, is this the kind of small component they'd have at maybe an autozone? Or someplace else?

Second, could someone possibly post a picture of exactly how they are wrapping the wire around the pins so I can see what hat looks like? Should I tin the copper after I wrap it around to try to prevent corrosion over time?

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Your alternator is going to put out 14v max, so if the diode chosen has have a value of at least that, call it good. If there's no place locally convenient to buy them, you can get them online pretty readily. For small electrical components I can't find quickly on Amazon/Ebay, I'll go to more specialized sites like Mouser or Digikey. (shipping tends to be higher, and sometimes there are minimum quantities to buy, but that's the price for modding sometimes)

As long as your fuse block is covered from the elements, you'll be fine. There's no more risk of corrosion to extra wiring, than there is for all of the pins of each fuse and relay that's been in the block since the truck was new.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Thanks for the great write up. Looking to modify this article to work on my Rendezvous and Aztek. Both have miserable high beams, but it I pull on the stalk (highs and lows on), its great. So this would fix that problem.

l008com

Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Also is this carrying just the single to turn on the lights or the actual power for the lights?
I want to make sure I don't use wire that's too thin. I have a pre-sata hard drive power cable sitting around that would be ideal to repurpose if it's thick enough.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
All you're doing is carrying the "turn on" signal from the high beam relay, and using it as a "turn on" signal to the low beam relay. Other than this, everything else in the headlight system is working as originally designed. Basically turning your "high beam" function into the very same function as flash to pass, from a operational standpoint.

l008com

Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Gotcha. The wire I was going to use was maybe 18 or 20 gauge, which should be plenty for just a signal cable. Though I found some thicker stuff too.

But what I could not fine was a diode! Apparently the only store left in eastern Massachusetts that sells electronic components is a half hour away. Hopefully I can get down there soon, this is holding up my projector retrofit.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
But what I could not fine was a diode! Apparently the only store left in eastern Massachusetts that sells electronic components is a half hour away. Hopefully I can get down there soon, this is holding up my projector retrofit.

Amazon has next day shipping on them.

Reactions: Blckshdw

l008com

Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
A friend had a spare luckily so I was able to do this mod today. The soldering was very easy. The install was pretty easy except that now the relays don't seat properly. I'm concerned that the might pop out from vibration. Is this how it looks for you guys?
(I did no-fogs)

Attachments

• IMG_9657.jpeg
    IMG_9657.jpeg
    684.5 KB · Views: 22

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
@l008com I would try to remove any of the plastic from the wire that is directly under that relay. You might be able to flatten the wire out to help it seat tighter to the fuse box with the just metal wire underneath the relay.

If you can't get it to seat any better you could also use electrical tape and wrap it around both of those relays and that should hold it in place pretty good.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online