Python Remote Starter Battery Drain?

Trailbuckeye

Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Had something interesting happen to me today. Went out to my tb and the battery was dead. Turned the key and nothing. The key did get stuck in the ignition and I couldn't shift out of park. So I initially was thinking maybe the ignition switch was starting to go bad. Now for what I think might be the problem....any help would be great.

I have a Python Model 872 remote starter and due to the weather getting warmer I decided to stop using the Responder LE remote and go back to my oem remote (kept starting it while the remote was in my pocket). I used it for the first time last night and went out to start the car this evening after not driving it all day and the battery was dead. Quick jump off my jumper box and i was good to go. I am wondering if going back to oem remote could have left the Python system in a constant state of pull. Ultimately draing the battery. Hs anyone ever had experience with this? Should I put the remote starter system in valet mode?

Thanks.

Trailbuckeye

Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
CaptainXL said:
Hello there. Is this a constant problem with the battery draining?

No it's not. It was a freak thing when it happened but I wanted to be sure so I could fix the "problem" before it got worse. I have since checked, with a multimeter, the battery which is at 12.39 volts and the parasitic drain which is .17 mA.

I did notice something kind of fishy. I run my ipod through the tape deck on my factory radio. I leave the tape in the deck and connected to the headphone jack when the car is off. When I had the dead battery I noticed that my ipod was also dead. I know for sure it had a full charge before. I wonder if there could be a short in the radio. But with tests I did there is no way to know until it acts up again. Or is there?

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Are you measuring that on the mA scale? It would make more sense if that was.17 amps (170 mA). If that's the case that is pretty high. It shouldn't be over 30 mA. Remove the fuses for the remote start and bypass module and see if it drops a ton. When I disconnect my Viper alarm I read 0 mA which should be normal with no accessories or OnStar communicating.

Trailbuckeye

Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
CaptainXL said:
Are you measuring that on the mA scale? It would make more sense if that was.17 amps (170 mA). If that's the case that is pretty high. It shouldn't be over 30 mA. Remove the fuses for the remote start and bypass module and see if it drops a ton. When I disconnect my Viper alarm I read 0 mA which should be normal with no accessories or OnStar communicating.

I have the Equus 3320 multimeter and I was using mA setting (blue setting on the left).

Equus - Products - 3320 Auto-Ranging DMM - Diagnostics Made Easy

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Unless you have all aftermarket accessories disconnected it could be darn near impossible to find out what's the problem. .17mA is fine. Don't see a problem.

Trailbuckeye

Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
CaptainXL said:
Unless you have all aftermarket accessories disconnected it could be darn near impossible to find out what's the problem. .17mA is fine. Don't see a problem.

That's what I was thinking. I will have to see if it happens again. Thanks

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhenninger

Members Online