Putting CV axle back on

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
So last night my CV axle fell apart. My buddy and I tried putting it back together and it keeps falling out. Does anyone have a trick for it to stay on? Here's a pic...uploadfromtaptalk1443725028607.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I think there is a snap ring in there, but never pulled one apart myself.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
There is, but the snap rings just hold the spider on the shaft and the rollers on the spider. It should just slide back into the tripod. There is nothing actually holding it in there except for the boot clamp, and then of course when in the vehicle it can't pull out because the shaft is attached to the hub.

055504jmd1.jpeg

Needs to have sufficient grease but don't overfill it. It needs to be able to move in and out with suspension motion.

Then just use the 4" hose clamp to clamp the boot back in place.

It'll continue to pull back out if you don't have the axle nut removed and the splined shaft loose from the hub (at least moving freely). Otherwise the spindle swinging outward while the upper ball joint is disconnected pulls the shaft apart.

Reactions: Mounce

steveO

Apr 6, 2012
From what I can see of the picture you need a new one... there is a section missing on the top left.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Just a shadow. It would take a serious blow to break it off.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Give it a smack with a mallet or hammer. Shouldnt be something that takes you more than 30 seconds. I've done a few. I just did my truck in the last few weeks.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online